Dual Boot XP and 98

I first installed windows 98 on one hard disk then set this hard disk to
slave after I bought a new one and installed windows xp on in, which is now
configured as master. Then I changed the boot.ini to include the windows 98:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98 Second Edition"
/fastdetect

The problem is when I choose Windows 98 it gives out an error message:
cannot find windows\system32\hal.dll

Can you help me
2 answers Last reply
More about dual boot

    For 98 to boot, remove the line
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98 Second Edition"
    /fastdetect
    and replace it with the line c:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

    Check out this site http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/toggleos1.html?

    Jeff S
    out1649@hotmail.com

    "istik" wrote:

    > I first installed windows 98 on one hard disk then set this hard disk to
    > slave after I bought a new one and installed windows xp on in, which is now
    > configured as master. Then I changed the boot.ini to include the windows 98:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
    > Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98 Second Edition"
    > /fastdetect
    >
    > The problem is when I choose Windows 98 it gives out an error message:
    > cannot find windows\system32\hal.dll
    >
    > Can you help me

    Should have left the hd's as is, e.g. left 98 on what was the C drive and
    simply made the new hd D. Now that you installed 98 under drive C and by
    switching the drives and then installing XP on the "new" drive C, I'm not
    sure you shouldn't just start over as I strongly suspect there will be a lot
    of registry entries etc. that will have to be rectified under one of the
    OS's?

    You could have simply installed XP to your D drive and it would have setup
    the C drive properly to give the boot choices. Least that's what I did on
    one of my pc's with no problems.

    Only thing extra to mention was that I have both hd's FAT32 so either OS can
    use both hd's. Did this because I found many apps, games etc. I use have no
    problem using a "common" folder so avoids having to have two copies.

    "istik" <istik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I first installed windows 98 on one hard disk then set this hard disk to
    > slave after I bought a new one and installed windows xp on in, which is
    > now
    > configured as master. Then I changed the boot.ini to include the windows
    > 98:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
    > Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98 Second Edition"
    > /fastdetect
    >
    > The problem is when I choose Windows 98 it gives out an error message:
    > cannot find windows\system32\hal.dll
    >
    > Can you help me

Configuration Windows 98 Partition Windows XP