Dual Boot XP and 98

I first installed windows 98 on one hard disk then set this hard disk to
slave after I bought a new one and installed windows xp on in, which is now
configured as master. Then I changed the boot.ini to include the windows 98:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98 Second Edition"
/fastdetect

The problem is when I choose Windows 98 it gives out an error message:
cannot find windows\system32\hal.dll

Can you help me

For 98 to boot, remove the line
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98 Second Edition"
/fastdetect
and replace it with the line c:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

Check out this site http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/toggleos1.html?

Jeff S
out1649@hotmail.com

"istik" wrote:

> I first installed windows 98 on one hard disk then set this hard disk to
> slave after I bought a new one and installed windows xp on in, which is now
> configured as master. Then I changed the boot.ini to include the windows 98:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98 Second Edition"
> /fastdetect
>
> The problem is when I choose Windows 98 it gives out an error message:
> cannot find windows\system32\hal.dll
>
> Can you help me

Should have left the hd's as is, e.g. left 98 on what was the C drive and
simply made the new hd D. Now that you installed 98 under drive C and by
switching the drives and then installing XP on the "new" drive C, I'm not
sure you shouldn't just start over as I strongly suspect there will be a lot
of registry entries etc. that will have to be rectified under one of the
OS's?

You could have simply installed XP to your D drive and it would have setup
the C drive properly to give the boot choices. Least that's what I did on
one of my pc's with no problems.

Only thing extra to mention was that I have both hd's FAT32 so either OS can
use both hd's. Did this because I found many apps, games etc. I use have no
problem using a "common" folder so avoids having to have two copies.