I currently have this build

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz Overclocked to 3.5Ghz
12GB Corsair Memory
AMD 6870 1GB Graphics Card
500GB Hard Drive
160GB Hard Drive
Bluray Optical Drive
330W SeaSonic PSU

What's the worst that can happen if I continue using this PSU? Everything is working fine. I have seen tests that show 6870 and Phenom 1090T not using more than 288W.

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 6:14:08 PM

Seasonic is a great manufacturer of PSUs, so I don't think you have very much to worry about.

That being said, I don't usually suggest that people cut it that close. Having 288/330 doesn't leave a lot of room there.

I would advise something closer to a Corsair CX 430w or an XFX Pro 450w Core. That would keep the maximum pull at a much lower percentage of the stated maximum draw. That can only be good for hardware longevity.

Which case do you have, by the way? If the PSU is mounted in the top of it, I almost guarantee you will start experiencing stability problems sooner rather than later.
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 6:17:00 PM

If your system is stable, then I'd trust the Seasonic to run it. They have good protections so if the PSU gets overloaded, then I would expect that the PC would shut down without damaging other components. There are no guarantes though....

Is that the SS-330GB or SS-330HB?
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 6:21:42 PM

The HB is rated for 264W on the 12V rail while the GB is rated for 288W on the 12V rail. Good thing full load includes more than just the 12V rail...I'd put a Kill-a-Watt meter on it to see how much power it's drawing while gaming. You can take that number back to actual power usage with a little math and the efficiency estimate (~85% effiicency).
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 6:37:57 PM

Well, its probably a safer bet than the Seasonic one is even though OCZ isn't a high quality manufacturer.

I would still rather have you try to get one of the two I said off ebay if that is what you are trying to accomplish.
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 6:41:19 PM

All of the CoreXstream are low-end HEC junk.
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b À AMD
September 12, 2012 9:25:00 PM

andy_pandy said:
So I checked the XFX Core 450W review and it wasn't really good, I'm afraid.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

He still gave it an 8.5 final score with his only complaint being bad 12V voltage regulation (that only really occurred under unrealistic conditions that will never be duplicated in the real world).

I don't call that "not very good", in my book.
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 9:48:04 PM

Agreed with DJDeCiBeL, except it is noteworthy that its mentioned in there that he takes off points for lack of modularity. That also doesn't impact functionality.

Johnny Guru does mention that similar models with modularity tend to cost $10 or $15 more (about avg for modularity), but then compares the PSU in question directly vs those $10 or $15 more units.

JohnnyGuru should have either compared against similar priced non modulars or something to account for this. XFX has the XXX line of modular PSUs to fill the needs of the modular desiring people. This PSU isn't meant to target those people and therefore it shouldn't have the points subtracted when it doesn't have it (and when it doesn't have the associated price increase).

I can kinda understand taking off the point because OCZ often gives modular "for free", but their PSUs are generally a lot lower quality than XFX ones, so that also isn't a fair comparison.

He also takes off a lot of points for problems that aren't ever experienced in the real world. I would have subtracted less than 1.5 for that.

IMHO, it should have gotten a 9 or maybe 9.25 total score.
September 12, 2012 9:56:19 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I have narrowed it down to two PSU. I'll make my decision soon.

Cheers for the help
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 10:04:42 PM

Don't know how much the overclock adds to your power consumption
These guys pulled 242w from the wall running Furmark with a stock 1090t and a 6870
http://www.bjorn3d.com/2010/10/amd-hd6850-and-hd6870/

Depending on which 1200w TT psu they used, anywhere from 10 to 20% can be subtracted from thier numbers ( putting the DC load at ~194-218 watts )
I'd back off the minimal overclock, can't see it providing any real gain anyway, and not worry to much about the psu, I'm not opposed to 65-70% loads when gaming if that's the most strenous thing you're doing
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2012 10:09:36 PM

The CX 430 and XFX 450w are both about the same and both about the best you can get for low end computers.

I wouldn't fault you for going either way.

I would just like to point out that the CX 430 is not really "better" and certainly not so in the "build quality" section.

You probably also want to note that the same things he penalized the XFX for he didn't hold against the CX 430 (like non-modular).

The XFX is every bit as good as the Corsair is and should be judged as such.
September 12, 2012 10:23:14 PM

delluser1 said:
Don't know how much the overclock adds to your power consumption
These guys pulled 242w from the wall running Furmark with a stock 1090t and a 6870
http://www.bjorn3d.com/2010/10/amd-hd6850-and-hd6870/

Depending on which 1200w TT psu they used, anywhere from 10 to 20% can be subtracted from thier numbers ( putting the DC load at ~194-218 watts )
I'd back off the minimal overclock, can't see it providing any real gain anyway, and not worry to much about the psu, I'm not opposed to 65-70% loads when gaming if that's the most strenous thing you're doing

Are you saying I don't need to worry about my PSU. People told me it will wear out soon. I haven't experienced any blue screen or system turning off and I had this rig for 2 weeks now
a b ) Power supply
September 13, 2012 1:25:46 PM

Well, a lot of us are worried about the long term effects of power draw on the PSU and how soon we are estimating that you will experience a PSU failure that puts your other components at risk.

One of us, however, is worried more about annoying the rest of us than he is worried about helping you. I would just take what you heard so far and hurry to make a decision before another flame war starts, say what you chose, and mark the thread with a best answer so it can be closed shortly by site admins.
September 13, 2012 1:56:04 PM

I just bought an XFX 450W PSU. Cheers for the help guys
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 13, 2012 2:03:14 PM

Nice PSU - enjoy it! Out of curiosity, did you try putting a Kill-A-Watt meter on your PC to measure power draw at full load? It's the easiest, best way to determine if you're putting a very high load on the PSU.
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 13, 2012 2:23:20 PM

Raiddinn said:
Well, a lot of us are worried about the long term effects of power draw on the PSU and how soon we are estimating that you will experience a PSU failure that puts your other components at risk.

One of us, however, is worried more about annoying the rest of us than he is worried about helping you. I would just take what you heard so far and hurry to make a decision before another flame war starts, say what you chose, and mark the thread with a best answer so it can be closed shortly by site admins.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
!