7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Hey guys you can see my specs in my SiG

I have a SB Live! 24bit PCI card, upgraded from my onboard sound. Well... ever since I updgraded to my SB Live! some games like BF2 and TombRaider Legend crack and have a static noise.

I have disabled my onboard sound and even updated my drivers for my SB Live! what other reasons could cause this?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
When does this static noise starts, during or after several minutes on the game? Do you have a heat problem on the sound card? Try repairing it and if that doesn't work then just use the previous driver that works.

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
it happens only during games.. not any other time.. music is fine and everything for MP3s and CDs and DVD movies

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
Maybe try reloading your DX drivers. You might also see if you have to choose between DirectSound or some other driver.

The fact that it only happens in games is curious. Do your video cards have all the correct power connections? (Maybe an obscure power draw is affecting your sound card?)

Is 550w enough for two 6800's and all your peripherals? (I don't know the power draw on the 6800's but I have heard it's a lot).

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Im sure the power is enough for that setup for I have 600watts on an overclocked cpu, 2x7800GTX overclocked and water cooling setup and sound card and Im having no problems relating to power. It has to be a driver problem.

sailer

Splendid
Try this for a next step: put in your previous sound card, or onboard sound if that was what you were using, and see if the sound returns to normal. If it does, there's a good chance the new sound card is defective.

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I also have the same sound card & experience the exact same problems, but it only happens in Fear. It's starts up after a couple minutes of play. Have tried different drivers & different pci slots. power isnt the problem either. It is so bad that when I want to play Fear, I have to enable my on-board sound to play.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
I hate to think this, but I'm wondering if IRQ steering could be rearing it's old head.

Do you have the LATEST mother board drivers loaded? Have you checked for BIOS updates? (The motherboard chipset drivers handle the IRQ sharing for PCI devices.)

I am trying to think along the lines that any manufacturer of PCI boards would have tested their hardware and their drivers, and any problems (if all drivers are working) would be obscure incompatibilities.

(I am assuming you have checked that you don't have any yellow balls in your hardware device manager.)

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Yeah no yellow bars, IRQs are fine latest BIOS drivers everything is up to date and double checked.... maybe i just need to get a new Sound Card

Bitflip

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
I have a similar issue and after some research, this is what I've found on the Creative website.

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=61926

They appear to have a problem and they haven't gotten it resolved yet. They are blaming it on high end computer systems that are moving video data so fast, that the sound card can't get access to the computer memory fast enough to keep up when using the PCI bus.

I may be purchasing another sound card from a different manufacturer since I'm so frustrated trying to get my sound to stop crackling and popping. Nothing has worked. I've done as the Creative forums have suggested and I still have the problem. New drivers, Dual channel memory, slowed down my system's HT bus, disabled my SLI 7900 GT KO video cards, adjusted the PCI bus voltage, adjusted the PCI latency, adjusted the PCI spread spectrum in the BIOS, and a few other things. Still no success.

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
yeah i have the latest BIOS update... i might just go back to my ONBOARD sound.. but i am too busy to play games now.. so oh well.. thanks for the info

halcyon

Splendid
If you're actually thinking of defecting from Creative :( there's certainly other good choices.

Consider the TurtleBeach Montego DDL or the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or 7.1.

I hope I don't have issues with my X-Fi Plat, since I really like it so far.