Best CPU for my G41 Motherboard?

Tim Pearly

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi,
I have an as rock g41mh usb 3.0 motherboard with radeon 7750 graphics card but only celeron cpu. I'm having problems running newer games and hope to replace the cpu with a better one. The asrock sites tells me which compatible cpus I could get but Iknow llittle on the matter and hoped for some advice on the best ones to get for gaming purposes mainly. Budget debatable but anywhere short of replacing the whole thing would be good...
Any advice much appreciated Thanks in advance. Tim.

Intel Core i3 3220 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775

ASRock H77M Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303

G.Skill Value Series 2x4GB 1333Mhz RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422

I'm not too sure of your budget or country location, but these are components that I would select to replace your aging platform. This should allow you to take full advantage of your HD7750 :)

Also on a side note, what resolution is your monitor and what titles are you looking to play?

Tim Pearly

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi all,

I have an ASROCK G41 MH USB 3.0 motherboard with Radeon 7750 graphics card, currently with celeron cpu.

I would like to play better games than currently possible so am thinking of getting a new cpu.

ASROCK website lists compatible cpus but I would like advice on best compatible cpu anybody would recommend to me.

Budget debatable but anywhere short of a whole new build would be good.

Any help much appreciated.

asinausk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

The best you can put in that is a Q9650, which I had in my AsRock G41M-GS... The Q9650 goes for about $250 on ebay. If that's too pricy go for an E8400, or even better, an E8600.

;)

EDIT: The Q9400 isn't too bad, more physical cores but lower clocks and smaller cache. You can barely OC a dual core with a G41, much less a quad. It depends on your main use for this computer. For gaming only it's a tough choice, I'd probably go with the E8600, highest clocks but only 2 cores.

Tim Pearly

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Thanks for the reply, can you see me running battlefield 3 with the CPU you recommend?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You can run it, but as geekapproved said, it is not a smart thing to do. C2D is such a dead platform right now that any attempt to upgrade with a budget comparable (within say, 100 bucks) to a modern platform, should be re-directed to a modern platform investment instead.

BF3 scales very well on 6 core AMD's. I'd go with an AM3+ board and either Phenom II or (wait for it) Piledriver based CPUs.

Tim Pearly

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Forgive my stupidity but if I were to just upgrade my CPU I thought would be within my capabilities. If I were to change my mobo would I have to get a new copy of windows"?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

To my best knowledge, you just need to have your windows license active on 1 computer at a time. Some windows licenses even allows 2, provided that one of the active computers is a virtual machine.

Based on your motherboard, I don't suspect you have one of those non-transferable OEM licenses that is tied to a brand name box.

And no, you are not stupid for asking. Some of this stuff is cryptic enough to require an army of lawyers.

_scientist

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

asinausk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

The Q9650 is better than the X4 965 in most cases...and it draws less power.

It's true you could get a better mobo/ram/cpu combo for what it would cost to get a used Q9650...but if you want to keep your current platform you could get an E8400 for about $60.

But, if you really want to drop that kind of cash, wait for Haswell.

asinausk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

mmmmm... with a Q9650? You could get by, with all the others...not really.

Tim Pearly

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Intel Core i3 3220 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775

ASRock H77M Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303

G.Skill Value Series 2x4GB 1333Mhz RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422

I'm not too sure of your budget or country location, but these are components that I would select to replace your aging platform. This should allow you to take full advantage of your HD7750 :)

Also on a side note, what resolution is your monitor and what titles are you looking to play?

Hi Mocchan,

I think you may be right and after a little research I am starting to lean towards a bigger scale upgrade instead of throwing good money after bad..

I would like to play Battlefield 3 on PC, I play this on ps3, but I'm basically using this as some sort of bench mark as not too great with hardware tbh.

I realise now that rather than getting the best cpu for my outdated mobo I should invest in a new mobo and cpu, one which would allow for future upgrades.

Would I need to get a new Copy of windows 7 though? as I have not long bought the one I have..

My monitor you ask, well that's another sore point, as I have posted in the monitor section of forum, I'm having trouble setting up 3 monitor eyefinity / 3 monitor extended display on my radeon 7750. But that's another story. (1x large HDTV in middle, with a hd 21'' either side) -

asinausk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

ddr3 hardly yields any benefits on these platforms (even less on intels), ddr3 a little better on power consumption and performance, but just barely. It certainly shouldn't be a deciding factor...at all.

These builds are practically the same thing, neither has any real benefit over the other.

If i were you I would just drop a $60 E8400 or a Q9400 in just to tide me over until Haswell comes out and prices drop on current gen hardware.

Who said anything about DDR3 yielding benefits or being a deciding factor??

It makes no sense to pay $200-250 for a Q9650 when he can get a PII 965, modern upgradable mobo and 8GB of DDR3 for less money. He probably only has 2 or 4gb of memory on his current platform.

asinausk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

I guess when you wrote "965/mobo/and 8GB ddr3" you specified ddr3 instead of just simply "ram" so I perceived it that way.

That mobo only has upgrade value if the next generation of AMD chips are AM3+. What would he upgrade to at this point? An FX chip (lol).

If he drops $200 on a Q9650 or $200 on that mobo/ram/cpu combo he'll have a similar rig either way, each one without any real upgrade path.

It sounds like he just wants something quick and dirty, that would be the Q9650 option.

Honestly I would consider a FX8150 an upgrade, but not worth the money as far as upgrades go. I'm assuming AMD will come out with faster clocked cpu's in different stepping, so they should be more efficient at the same clockspeed and as efficient at a higher clock speed. As far as Piledriver being compatible with AM3+, I don't know.

He may have a similiar rig either way, but his components are old and any of them could fail at any time. If he gets a new mobo, ram and cpu, he'll have 3yrs warranty on the mobo and cpu and he'll be able to use his DDR3 in a future upgrade. Plus a newer mobo will have additional features/ports that his current mobo probably doesn't have.

asinausk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

This is true, if he doesn't mind getting that combo it would be a good choice.