who knows about AMD xp 2600 socket A

matrixone

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
hey guys, this is a old processor but still works for me, old AMD sockets they are knows as HOT PROCESSORS, but the thing is i had this AMD 2600 though... processor, when I go to the bios it says 72 Celsius of the processor, know whe I boot and run my asus probe(monitor program) says 58 celsius, even when I changed the thermal paste, only like 2 celcius down, the question is, what in the hell is going on?, should I put a fan on the case and see how it works, I only have 1 fan who suck all the hot interior and the cooler of the processor....

toddler

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Depending on where the thermal sensor is, Athlon XP reported temperatures can vary widely. If it works fine for you and doesn't mysteriously crash or lock up under heavy loads, everything is probably fine.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Your post is confusing. You said you only had one fan in the system and it sounds like a system fan and not a CPU heatsink fan. Get a fan for the CPU heatsink and your temps will lower themselves.

If your CPU heatsink already has a fan I'd say it's time to replace it as the old may be losing steam. Just because it is spinning doesn't mean it is doing it's job.

Are you in a different country other than the U.S.?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I would try something first. Take the side panel off and aim a fan at the side of the system. What do the temps read now? What's the ambient temp like? (A/C'd office? Summer in the desert? Antarctic?)

I have an XP2600+ (Barton core) and it never goes over 52 - even overclocked some.

Mike.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
well i had the same problem and i found out it was a virus also now i found a program that states my real tempature with is 32C its called PC wizard. before i was using programs such as
AIDA32 and Speed FAN and they were puttiong out temps up 80C

Having an exhaust and intake fan is always good because it gives you good airflow which will drecrease any heat built up in your system. 120mm fans are great, so if you can install them in your case then do so. They can move more air than smaller 80mm fan and can be pretty quiet too if you lower the speed of the fans with the Zalman Fan Mate 2.

A 2 celcius drop is not bad depending on which thermal compund you are using. I think the average drop for Artic Silver 5 is about 4 degrees celcius. You might want to invest in a replacement heatsink fan, but first deal with the airflow inside your PC first.

Does your motherboard allow you to undervolt the CPU? I have an Athlon XP 2500+ in my HTPC that runs at stock speed, but I have it undervolted to reduce the amount of heat. I think the XP 2500+ requires 1.65v, mine is running with only 1.375v. That a drop of almost 17%, or 0.275v.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
well, the differences between the asus probe and bios readings are titanic. First try some other software and see which is the ringt temp. After that you can try a cooling solution (most probably only the processor cooler if you don't have other hot hardware inside your case).
However, I wouldn't exclude a sensor problem, especially if the temperatures won't get down as expected and the voltages are OK. I've got a problem like this with my board: my 2GHz, (Northwood) Celeron is reported by every program to run at about 300W with a core voltage of 3.84: outlandish but simply isn't possible.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I could have fried an egg on my old AXP setup yesterday. Case temp was nearly 40C and the cpu was running at ~75C. Bogged and chugged so we put a house fan in front of it and now it doesnt bog any more. Meanwhile in the same room 3 feet away my o/ced 3700+ idles @ 36C while the mobo is ~38C.

benrr

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I dont know I got a new Heatsink yesterday because my system was overheating and it was worse then my OEM heatsink(from a Barton 2800)..I made a custom 120MM Sunon fan mount right over the stock cooler and the Piece of poop still reads over 70deg C.I am using Artic silver paste.

System spec
300Watt Antec PSU
Asus A7N8X-X
Athlon XP 2700+
Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB
ATI x800xt agp

running stock (Barton 2800)cooler with 120MM 120cfm sunon

Ambiant 33C Diode 72 peak and socket 49 ....WTF

I got a Aerocool Glacier and its worse then the stock unit with the sunon ..

PeterGower

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
first of all, your processor is a very hot one, the thermal problem of it is to be taken very carefully, because it burns easily, so, you must first look for another cooling system, the boxed one is not that good, I`ll recommend the dynatron microfin ones, the thermal take systems are good too, but, the temperature you`re posting aren`t that high or rare if you`re using your case closed and the ambient temperature is a little high, the case have any other fan? other than de psu? I personally think the thermal paste is not the problem there, the main problem will be the cooling unit you`re using.
hope I was helpfull in some grade

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
These high temps are way out of line even for an Athlon XP and the stock heatsink. The idles are ok, but 70+ C is unacceptable and something is wrong.

Clean out the dust from your heatsinks and make sure your fans are working properly. As stated before, just because they're spinning, doesn't mean they're doing their job. How fast they spin (especially on smaller fans) determines how good they're working.

And make sure the heatsink clamp is installed correctly meaning the angled part is directly over the CPU die applying pressure squarely on the die through the heatsink. If not done correctly, contact between the heatsink and CPU die isn't sufficient causing high temps.

benrr

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
My case is open but I usualy run 4 80mm fans two in two out clean my case every couple months with compressed CO2 .I think my problem might be PSU related because a darn 120MM Sunon sounds like a dam jet plane and it pushes so much air the thing should be realy cool. I wanted to wait to upgrade to a opteron 146 but now I am kinda forced to buy a new type of cooling system .Do you guys recomend any water cooling units that I could use later on my Opteron ?