Computer noob wanting Diablo 3 rig for cheap.

ArchAngel8

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hey guys, I'm terribly new to building computers and I only know so much. I was wanting to play Diablo 3 but my laptop slapped me on the wrist and pointed at its Intel hd 3000 graphics card, so I am in need of a new rig.

I am looking to spend the least amount of money possible to meet the high performance for diablo 3. In other words I want the bare minimum in order to reach the minimum-to high specs of the game and not receive lag when tons of monsters show up while making the game look pretty to the eyes.

I manage to reach the 500$ region and I think that computer could run D3.
But I would very much like any input for better parts vs pricing and etc. as I want this computer to last me as long as possible with the ability to upgrade it down the road. I have never had much money so I don't plan to waste any lol.

So to recap in order of importance:

1) run diablo 3 with no lag and good graphics to make it look good and not shudder at many enemies on screen or mass particle effects.
2) very upgradable and able to manage parts so that I can get the most for my money
3) As cheap as humanly possible while still being able to accomplish tasks #1 and #2

I hope I am not sounding redundant I just want the point across.

Here is what I have so far. Please build upon this and give comments and suggestions because I really have very little idea what im doing here.
Thank you for you time I plan to ask a lot of questions so I can learn so bare with me please!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8Fnt

game junky

Distinguished
Based on what you indicated, I would drop the CPU cooler and either step up your processor or video card. I understand funds are tight, we all are in that boat but it's better to spend the money once rather than having to buy replacements down the road.

Here's a much better proc:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

Here's a huge video card upgrade:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150587

Either one of them would be a step up and I believe should work with the other components you selected.

Futureproofing is often understood, if you plan to gradually upgrade your system every few months or so it is quite simple to prepare it for those upgrades. If you plan to use the system until it gets too slow then do a major upgrade, it is better to just get the most for your money now then buy a new system when the time comes because not many parts are going to still be useable in a new system after 3 years or so.

Luckily Diablo 3 has very low system requirements, some recent benchmarks here on Toms showed that almost any CPU on the market is fine and something like the HD 6670 graphics card is fine for ultra high settings at 1080P.

This system should easily play the game at 60+ FPS at ultra high settings at 1080P.

Intel Pentium G620
2x2GB G.Skill NS 1333Mhz
ASRock H61M/U3S3
ASUS HD 7750 1GB
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Fractal Design Core 1000
SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W
Samsung DVD Burner

Total - $444.92

If you need an OS too that might push it slightly over budget. If that is the case I think you could drop down to a Celeron and HD 6670 and still manage high settings, maybe even ultra. If you do get the HD 6770, I would be tempted to push the PSU up to ~350W. The Antec EA-380D is good.

G

gaming is much more GPU than CPU, that 2120 is fine but that video card is way short of happy gaming. get a sandy pentium
Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge $87.99
CPU%20cores.png

lose the CPU cooler and get as good of a graphics card as you can!
you can go with 1333 RAM if it saves you a few bucks like:
PNY Optima 8GB DDR3 1333 $39.99<-- i have this and never a problem.
high%201920.png

stormspace

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I went to passmark.com and looked at the benchmark scores for BLizzard's minimum configuration (Pentium D 2.8Ghz) and based on benchmarks alone my current system outperforms that box even though it's running at 2Ghz. I have the video capability, but I'm leery about purchasing software I may be unable to return if the software rejects my system. Does Diablo choke if it doesn't detect the appropriate clock speed?

Intel Pentium Dual E2180 @ 2.00GHz 1122

Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz 741

ArchAngel8

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Thanks everyone for the very informative post. I am looking at the build that jmsellers1 has put and it looks nice to play D3, but would that computer last very long before I have to upgrade it? I'm not sure but it seems like many things like to have multi-core possessors and stuff so I'm just curious. If anyone could explain that to me I would appreciate it.

Also on that build could I maybe get a different case that would still have room for improvement, that case looks very...meh. Can the coolermaster one I had selected not work for the things you put for it?

the coolermaster is a lower-quality device. for the same price the Corsair CX 430W (Its $44.95 but has a 10% off coupon, making it $40.49, plus a $10 rebate) is a much better psu that can handle any AMD 7xxx-graphics card up to the 7850, and 6xxx up to 6850.