ATI 4850: red light issue

RawrRawr

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hello,
my computer keeps randomly powering off by itself, without creating any kind of crash report. When this happens a red light comes on on my ATI 4840, and the computer won't power back up until it goes off. Having google'd this a bit it seems it can be either down to over heating or the card not getting enough power.

I've used SpeedFan to look at the temp and whenever I start my computer it is at around 78-81C and the fan isn't running, and I have to (in SpeedFan) stick the fan speed up on my card to 45-50%, however this keeps the temp pretty stable around 40C and this doesn't rise before my computer powers off.

Based on this, do you think it's most likely that my card isn't getting enough power, or is it still likely to be a overheating issue?

Thanks for your hel

RawrRawr

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
just happened again, my fan on the GPU does run at startup, SpeedFan just has it down at 0% speed for some reason, even though I can up it.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
make sure your fans are really running... make sure your have connected everething correctly including pci-e cables 4850 need one pci-e cable.

What is your psu? maybe it is not enough for the computer.

Giving computer specs will help us to help you.

RawrRawr

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
ricardos - my fans are really running

psu: 400W SilverStone Strider aPFC
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
processer: Intel Core i5 750,
then one hard drive, 2gb ram, one dvd drive and a network card that's not being used. so afaia my PSU should be enough?

scout - done what you said, the temps from HWiNFO are all 42-45C for my GPU, was there any other info you wanted from that?

okay, after looking around abit i've found some minimum requirements for my GPU that says 450w power supply, so that could be the issue rather than over heating?

RawrRawr

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
i upped fan speed to 100% which drops the GPU temps to around 36C.

One thing I should note is sometimes my computer won't start up even when it's not been on a while, the red lights come on straight away, so from that and what else I've seen, I'm now thinking it's definitely a PSU issue