B0 revision Conroes are overclocking monsters!

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I added this to the Collection of Conroe information, but this really needed it's own thread. The B0 Conroes are Overclocking Monsters! Everything they throw at it, this chip takes it in stride. No cold bugs to be found! Coolaler is runing a new clockgen, fsb overclock, etc.. and is reaching 4.6GHz overclocks!

Sorry for all the exclamation points, but it is just spectacular how stable this chip is, and that is only going to get better with production revisions. A 2.6GHz pre-release chip is hitting 4.6GHz no problem.

Full thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100587

New May 25, 2006 Records:
SuperPi_1M: 11.359 seconds <-- new world record
SuperPi_2M: 28.812 seconds <-- new world record
SuperPi_4M: 1:08.625 <-- new world record
SuperPi_8M: 2:35.375 <-- new world record
SuperPi_16M: 5:45.703 <-- new world record
SuperPi_32M: 12:29.312 <-- new world record
Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1471031&postcount=127

Cheers!

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
If thats true them OMG..... thats about all I can say. I mean what can anyone say ? Well other then the AMD fans saying that its some sort of lie (wich it might be but I dont know I guess im just a trusting person)

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
looks like intel has a lot of room to flex to compete with AMD's "mhz race", or whatever it's called. that's really impressive that it's overclocking that high even on air.

I figured that the low stage high IPC design of core would make releasing a 3.33ghz EE right of the bat foolish as it would be near the top of it's max clock, but I guess that's not the case at all.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
looks like intel has a lot of room to flex to compete with AMD's "mhz race", or whatever it's called. that's really impressive that it's overclocking that high even on air.

I figured that the low stage high IPC design of core would make releasing a 3.33ghz EE right of the bat foolish as it would be near the top of it's max clock, but I guess that's not the case at all.

You took the words right out of my mouth ! After my first post I was thinking about it and if its true then it gives Intel alot of room to release improved versions (for the home people who dont OC) I want one now more then ever.... Are the multiplyers locked ? well even if they are not unlocked it doesnt mean the production ones wont be :( but any way its still impressive !!!

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
The multipliers on both the retail (obviously) and ES chips are all locked. Only the XE chips will have unlocked multipliers.

And it looks like only a 2.93Ghz XE, not a 3.33Ghz, will be launched in Q3. The 3.33Ghz version wont come till late Q4/early Q1 '07 according to the latest reports.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

You took the words right out of my mouth ! After my first post I was thinking about it and if its true then it gives Intel alot of room to release improved versions (for the home people who dont OC) I want one now more then ever.... Are the multiplyers locked ? well even if they are not unlocked it doesnt mean the production ones wont be :( but any way its still impressive !!!
Who cares? We will have uber low multipliers to use if we buy the lower-clocked chips, and that means massive bandwidth 8)

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
nice. if i may comment on something slightly different: as an observer of this whole computer technology development spectacle, it looks like all the overclockers will be switching to intel in a few months time - totally contradicting the very principles on what gamers are supposed to be based upon. or that's at least what it seems like after reading about 2 years' worth of gamers posting about how amd products thrash any intel product ever made.
as i have read in the THG review on AM2, AMD seems to have stepped backwards in some aspects. namely they are now just as expensive as intel's chips, and the overclocking ability has worsened. AMD will obviously counteract the Core 2 with something-else-which-we-don't-know-about-yet to keep themselves in the game, so in the end it's all good.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
nice. if i may comment on something slightly different: as an observer of this whole computer technology development spectacle, it looks like all the overclockers will be switching to intel in a few months time - totally contradicting the very principles on what gamers are supposed to be based upon. or that's at least what it seems like after reading about 2 years' worth of gamers posting about how amd products thrash any intel product ever made.
as i have read in the THG review on AM2, AMD seems to have stepped backwards in some aspects. namely they are now just as expensive as intel's chips, and the overclocking ability has worsened. AMD will obviously counteract the Core 2 with something-else-which-we-don't-know-about-yet to keep themselves in the game, so in the end it's all good.

Good post :) pretty much dead on ! I agree gamers usualy are not loyal to any one company they are loyal to the almighty FPS and resolution hehehe.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
FUGGER did told me the A1/A0 he's been using to get up to 3.9Ghz benchmarkable(4Ghz bootable) last week still had tiny little potential in them to go higher. He also said B0 will be better, but I never expected it to be that good.

Makes one wonder what the retail version is going to be like which according to him is going to be yet even better. By how much he doesn't know. Probably another 200Mhz over B0 is my esitmating to get 4.8Ghz

When Conroe does come out, the "ORB" servers, will be down alot....over

loaded. :wink: 1st page guys, will be back 20 pages...hehehe :p I'll drop

off the back end. :?

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

Good post :) pretty much dead on ! I agree gamers usualy are not loyal to any one company they are loyal to the almighty FPS and resolution hehehe.
uh by the sounds of it you've never met madmodmike

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006

uh by the sounds of it you've never met madmodmike
MMM was not a gamer or overclocker of any sort. Just a sad fanboy, or at the very least a paid shill for AMD.

True gamers and enthusiasts were all running AMD rigs this year, and rightly so, I know I was (still am, heh). But Conroe is clearly the next chip/platform to go with. It doesn't matter what name is on the box, the performance and stbility and power efficiency is what matters, and Conroe clearly has all of them.

Cheers!

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah trashing a company when they are not competing properly is fine, which is what has been going on the past couple years with Intel. But when a company turns around and clearly takes the performance lead, and people still continue to trash it, then it is those people that have a problem. They are clearly emotionally tied to the equipment they currently own (for some odd reason).

True performance enthusiasts simply cheer for the competition becuase it advances the state of the art, drives prices down and improves the market for all of us!

Cheers!

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yeah trashing a company when they are not competing properly is fine, which is what has been going on the past couple years with Intel. But when a company turns around and clearly takes the performance lead, and people still continue to trash it, then it is those people that have a problem. They are clearly emotionally tied to the equipment they currently own (for some odd reason).

True performance enthusiasts simply cheer for the competition becuase it advances the state of the art, drives prices down and improves the market for all of us!

Cheers!
then again, there are instances where nobody can decide who's the performance leader

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
then again, there are instances where nobody can decide who's the performance leader
I agree. Like in the server space, with Woodcrest it is clear the Intel is going to take the lead in 1P and probably 2P. AMD clearly has 8P and above, and 4P is unclear right now who is going to end up on the top for the rest of the year.

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
CPU-Z validation of the overclock:

WR4.gif

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Look like Conroe (Core 2) is really doing some good jobs out there. Even though its kicking some asses, we still need to wait till July to get one of those...

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Conroe=Heavensent

So Im guessing alot of peoples prayers have been answered.
Intel was trully doing their job in those labs, this sounds like nexts years CPU, lucky for us is coming soon.

Cant Wait.

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Hell, i just bought my new rig in december and it was SUPPOSED to last me at least a year or two. Looks like six months only, since i will be picking one of these babies up. :D