Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cases
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 22, 2012 6:11:17 PM

Hello,

I plan on building an HTPC to use with my living room HDTV. I've got a good idea on what I want to put in it, now I need a nice, QUIET case that will keep all my goodies cool as well. I will mainly be using it for watching movies, browsing the internet and playing some games like WoW and Diablo III. It will be used for entertainment so it may get a little hot under the hood. It needs to support a Micro-ATX motherboard and full length/height video cards as well. I was looking at the nMEDIAPC HTPC5000B, but there seem to be a lot of negative reviews. I'd also like to stay under or around $100.00.

Thanks!

More about : reccomend htpc case

May 22, 2012 6:32:44 PM

I was going to recommend either the 5000B or 6000B. I know the 6000B is for full ATX motherboards, but it never hurts to have extra space inside the case.

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 22, 2012 6:40:39 PM

Out of curiosity, have you used either one of those cases? I ask because I really want to make sure that what I end up purchasing is quiet. I have no doubt that those cases should provide enough airflow...I just don't want a jet engine running under my HDTV. What about SilverStone? Have you or anyone else used any of their products?

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
May 22, 2012 6:45:19 PM

No, I haven't used either of those cases, but my NMediaPC 200BA (similar to the 5000B) case has worked just fine for me (see my HTPC specs below). It's a bit noisy now because it's in dire need of dusting, but when she's dust free, she's silent.

Silverstone, as I understand, is another great option and probably worth the extra cost for most people.

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 22, 2012 7:00:52 PM

Thanks Wolf! I'm now curious about your HTPC set up. When did you build yours and what do you mainly do with it? Gaming? TV recording? Video editing? Is it still holding its own? I haven't built PC's for quite a few years so I'm really new to the technology out now. Here is a link to my first build question if you care to look at it and give me your input. You seem to know what you're doing. =)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/345436-31-htpc-build#...

m
l
May 22, 2012 11:50:54 PM

Oh let's see...

I probably built my HTPC about five years ago. It was originally based on an Athlon S939 3700+ processor, ATI All-In-Wonder X1800XL, and 2GB of RAM. It has gone through a number of up- and down-grades since then. It's used strictly for media play-back (music/dvd/blu-ray), streaming (Netflix), and recording (Ceton Quad-Tuner/Comcast Cable) as I have a gaming/all-purpose system for everything else.

My current HTPC system is more than enough for what I do with it. I have no problems recording three different shows at the same time as watching a fourth. As far as gaming is concerned, I used to have a dedicated gaming system as well, so I never really bought into gaming on an HTPC, but I decided it was a bit ridiculous having all these "dedicated" systems and now just game on my primary system. Technically, I could game on my HTPC, but I just don't see me gaming from the couch.

I looked over your other thread and I pretty much agree with what Dougie Fresh states, but on a budget, I'd probably stick with your 120GB drive as the OS drive and pick up a larger drive for media storage (if you require it).

The AMD A8-3870K is going to be more than enough for your media duties and should be ok for some minor to moderate gaming. You should, as noob2222 suggests, be able to add in a discrete graphics card for a Hybrid Crossfire solution, should you find the APU not quite enough for your gaming purposes. 8GB of RAM is probably excessive unless you're recording a couple of TV shows while running a RAID in WoW.

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 23, 2012 1:56:48 PM

Thanks again Wolf! You've been a great help!
m
l
!