HP Pavilion Power Cycles then boots

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I recently was given an HP Pavilion tower. Every thing seemed fine until I upgraded the video card and added a larger HD. (It came stock with on board video.)
It power cycles about 4-5 times then starts up, power button lights fans spin up then <click> off... repeat 4 more times. No beeping or video displayed.
Then boots up fine. The graphics card installed is just a Radeon HD54xx. Nothing extreme.
Could it be the power supply just isn't hardy enough for the added demand for watts? Maybe it trying to charge the caps? I don't know.

Solution
Correct! it sounds like there's too much pull on the power supply when attempting to POST...one component is unable to meet minimum voltage limits on boot...so it reboots until the voltage achieves the minimum threshold for a successful boot.

HP isn't noted for overly robust power supplies in their proprietary machines so you are....with onboard video...most likely looking at a 250-300W psu and it's just not enough!

Check your psu model for wattage and see if it's at or below 300W...if so..I would seriously suspect power as the issue.

Hope that helps a bit...you can get your psu wattage and go to here.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

punch in your numbers and see what it comes back with to better guage what...

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Correct! it sounds like there's too much pull on the power supply when attempting to POST...one component is unable to meet minimum voltage limits on boot...so it reboots until the voltage achieves the minimum threshold for a successful boot.

HP isn't noted for overly robust power supplies in their proprietary machines so you are....with onboard video...most likely looking at a 250-300W psu and it's just not enough!

Check your psu model for wattage and see if it's at or below 300W...if so..I would seriously suspect power as the issue.

Hope that helps a bit...you can get your psu wattage and go to here.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

punch in your numbers and see what it comes back with to better guage what power you need available.

Let us know what you find please...we are a bit nosy here:)

Solution

MMXMonster

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

I think your right... I just check the PSU and it's labeled as a 300watt.
I also put 2 more sticks of ram in and now it post time has now increased a few more power cycles. LOL

Well off to Tiger or New Egg to see whats available.