Sign in with
Your question

A few questions on my first build

Last response: in Systems
May 22, 2012 6:51:14 PM

Hi everyone. First post, just wanted to ask a few questions about my first ever build. :) 

I have already lined up the parts I want to buy, but essentially what I'm aiming for is a gaming machine with some future upgrade potential.

Anyway, here are the parts I have put together on Scan.com (I'm in the UK):
http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/2cd2de4e694f45c1924b9...

That list of parts is fairly definitive. I might see if I can get the case and GPU cheaper elsewhere - but they will be much the same as what you see there. (Just an FYI - my budget is about £650.)

First, does everything look compatible? Just wondering if I've been lazy in my research. :D  Of course, feel free to shout out if there is anything on that list I should avoid.

Second, I'm not too sure about the cooling. I'm not planning to overclock at this stage, but I'm just wondering whether I can cram an i5-2500k into a medium size case without facing issues with heat. Will I be okay without extra cooling?

Third, any other little bits and pieces I should pick up as well? I'm getting thermal paste and a grounding wrist strap. I'm not all that sure that the Sata cables you see in that saved basket will be necessary - so does anyone know if Scan supplies Sata cables with HDDs/DVD drives?

Anyway, thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to getting started.

More about : questions build

May 22, 2012 8:05:11 PM

I took a glance at your components and everything looks good. I don't think you will need an extra SATA cable. Most boards come with two, and so do most burners and hard drives unless they are OEM drives.

You might want to get 8 Gb of ram instead of 4 Gb and a bigger hard drive. 500 Gb fills up really fast, and the extra 10~20 (pounds?) you save on a 500 Gb hdd v.s. a 1 Tb hdd isn't worth the cost of another drive down the road. I might look for a larger monitor too. That's the component you will be using the most... so don't skimp out on it.

The extra ram and larger hard drive future-proofs this computer better.

Of course, you would need a 64 bit OS to support 4+ gb of ram.

The PSU seems a bit on the expensive side too. You should be fine with a 650W power supply unless you are planning on adding another graphics card in the future.

Also, that VAT hurts too, that adds about 20% onto the cost.
May 22, 2012 8:05:40 PM

Looks good, but how far would you upgrade it. If you were planning on getting an Ivy Bridge you need a Z77 motherboard. Also you should get 8gb (make sure its 1600MHz) for only about £10.
Related resources
May 22, 2012 8:32:12 PM

Hello,

i would suggest getting 8 gb of ram and a better graphic card. Nvidia's graphic cards are more Gaming oriented, maybe you want to check-out a GTX 570.

Also, since you dont have any SSD get the 1TB WD Black

If this has helped please like the post.
May 23, 2012 6:47:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Decided to go with a 1TB HDD/8GB RAM - makes sense to shell out the cash now rather than having to pay more later.
!