May 22, 2012 5:18:29 PM

I'm having a hard time choosing between a dell or a custom built machine,

Custom built PC spec:

8Gb ram
CPU 3570k
2TB hard drive
256Gb solid state drive
Radeon 7870 2Gb Ram OC Edition
Motherboard is PCIe 3.0 ready (dell isnt) (Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77 Socket )
windows 7 64bit
650w PSU
Price: 1170 pounds

Dell machine:
12Gb Ram
CPU 3770
2TB hard drive
256Gb solid state drive
Radeon 7870 2 Gb Ram
windows 7 64bit
Price: 1185 pounds (its 1299 but I can use a 10% discount)+shipping
Link to dell machine:
http://configure.euro.dell.com/del [...] d=xps-8500

I'm struggling because Dell has bad PSU and does not support PCIE 3.0.
The custom built i have to make myself and has worse memory and cpu (but can overclock)!
Which one is the best to choose?

More about : buy custom built dell

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 5:27:24 PM

I would be building it myself... the good thing about building it yourself is you can pick all of the componets so pick a better CPU and RAM and you are good to go.... also in the future you may need to only upgrade a few parts and not need a whole new system.
May 22, 2012 5:29:28 PM

IMO custom built is better. You really don't need that extra 4 GB in memory, and if you find memory on sale, you may end up with 16 Gb for the same price.

The major drawback for custom built would be you would personally be responsible if anything goes wrong.
Related resources
May 22, 2012 5:31:17 PM

If you want hassle free take it out of the box and play then go with the Dell. If you want to learn, deal with support and drivers yourself, experiment with OCing, etc then go with the home built. Most people here will say build it yourself, but they are not you. You need to make the choice. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

I have both Dell and home built and I love both types machines. When I need something purpose built I build it. When I want a hassle free experience I always go with Dell. I am on probably my 12th Dell PC/Laptops and haven't ever had an issue. But, as you mention they are what they are.

You won't see a performance boost from PCIe 3.0, so don't really worry about that. I don't think it would be at the top of my considerations list, to be honest.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 5:32:46 PM

Problems with the Dell rig:

1. 12GB of memory is pointless, and is meant to lure in people who only know enough to say "bigger is better." 8GB is already twice as much as most people need. Adding more has no benefit whatsoever.

2. 3770 vs your 3570k. The 3570k will overclock well into the realm of 4 GHz with a decent fan, while that 3770 cannot be overclocked.

3. As you mentioned, boutique PSUs are garbage. They use only the bare minimum. This is done to intentionally limit future upgrades.

Personally, I'd never even consider buying a pre-built computer, but that's just me. I'm totally comfortable digging around in the hardware and handling all my own troubleshooting. If you're not, then their warranty and customer service, along with not needing to build it yourself, may be worth it.
May 22, 2012 5:38:02 PM

willard said:
This is done to intentionally limit future upgrades.

Um, nope. It is done to minimize cost. And you can always upgrade to a moe powerful PSU... so if they did it to intentionally limit future upgrades then they failed at their master plan to keep PC buyers in line.

Also, not all are garbage. I have an Dell XPS8100 that has been running dual GTX260s on the stock power supply for about 3 years now, daily. Not a hitch in it's git-a-long.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 5:48:34 PM

Quote:
Um, nope. It is done to minimize cost.

I did not say it was done only to limit upgrades, but it is certainly one of the reasons. They also love to use proprietary motherboard form factors for this reason. It's no cheaper, since they could just buy ATX boards in bulk, but it locks you into using them for many upgrades/repairs.

Quote:
And you can always upgrade to a moe powerful PSU... so if they did it to intentionally limit future upgrades then they failed at their master plan to keep PC buyers in line.

I said limit, not make impossible. Check the condescension at the door along with your strawman.

Quote:
Also, not all are garbage. I have an Dell XPS8100 that has been running dual GTX260s on the stock power supply for about 3 years now, daily. Not a hitch in it's git-a-long.

Garbage may be a strong word, but they certainly aren't high quality units. Of course the PSU they put in their own computers is going to be enough to run their hardware. If it didn't, there would be a massive backlash and they'd end up replacing the units at a higher cost anyway.

What it won't do, however, is handle higher loads. The power supply in each computer is carefully selected to be able to handle the hardware already in the system, and not much more.
May 22, 2012 5:53:08 PM

If you buy the Custom One I will build it for you for free providing you pay for shipping etc!
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 5:55:17 PM

twycherley said:
If you buy the Custom One I will build it for you for free providing you pay for shipping etc!

While I'm sure that sounds very generous to you (and it is), I don't see anybody trusting some random guy on the internet they've never met before enough to ship more than a thousand dollars worth of computer components to on his word that he'll assemble them and ship them back. It would be incredibly easy for you to give a fake address to an abandoned house and simply keep the parts.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 6:13:32 PM

12GB is a very odd number, unless its 2x4 + 2x2, if its 3x4 then its wrong as you lose dual channel speeds.

But self-build is better than custom-build which is better than off shelf.

In your two examples the custom built is better as the mobo is flexible and its a K series processor.
May 22, 2012 6:41:37 PM

The memory is 2*4 + 2*2.

I went for the custom build which I will make myself. I have made previous systems in the past and my last PC was a dell which made it hard to decide.

I don't plan on buying a new pc anytime soon so wanted to make sure I could upgrade it easier in the future.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2012 6:53:00 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
!