Question about my CPU and a gtx 680.

I fallen in love with the GTX 680 ( like most of you ) will this beast run ok with my cpu, My cpu is a AMD 955 be @3.6GHz ? I can't really upgrade my video card and cpu/mobo right now, and i'd really like one of these cards.
10 answers Last reply
More about question
  1. It would help to know which CPU you have. But if it's a Intel i5/i7 it will be fine.
  2. gary1 said:
    It would help to know which CPU you have. But if it's a Intel i5/i7 it will be fine.

Yeah I noticed. How bad would the bottleneck be with my cpu?
  3. Should be fine.
  4. You will get fewer FPS with that Phenom II X4 than an 8 core FX or Core i5, but you can alleviate that by using high detail in each demanding games' settings you play. The higher the detail you set in the graphics settings, the less your CPU has to do. ie: turn HBAO, and AA on, set high draw distance, etc.
  5. It might be good enough. The 955 can handle a GTX580, so it should do 680 too.
    And that overclock wouldn't bottleneck it too. Or as far as I know, SLi or Crossfire would definitely bottleneck it, apart from that, nom it won't be a bottleneck.
  6. Gman450 said:
    It might be good enough. The 955 can handle a GTX580, so it should do 680 too.
    And that overclock wouldn't bottleneck it too. Or as far as I know, SLi or Crossfire would definitely bottleneck it, apart from that, nom it won't be a bottleneck.

I've tried to get the overclock higher using multiple ways, always is unstable anything higher than 3.6, kinda disappointing.
  7. jurassic512 said:
    You will get fewer FPS with that Phenom II X4 than an 8 core FX or Core i5, but you can alleviate that by using high detail in each demanding games' settings you play. The higher the detail you set in the graphics settings, the less your CPU has to do. ie: turn HBAO, and AA on, set high draw distance, etc.

Makes sense.
  8. BBN8 said:
    I've tried to get the overclock higher using multiple ways, always is unstable anything higher than 3.6, kinda disappointing.

Are you using a stock cooler?
    And a 3.6GHz overclock is okay. It might just handle a single GTX680.
  9. Gman450 said:
    Are you using a stock cooler?
    And a 3.6GHz overclock is okay. It might just handle a single GTX680.

Cooler master v8.
  10. That's a good cooler.
    But like I said, 3.6GHz is a good OC.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx CPUs Graphics