Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Blocked Phones

Tags:
  • Nokia
  • Phones
  • SIM Card
Last response: in Brands
Share
May 26, 2004 11:08:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

I'm a bit inquisitive. When a phone is reported lost or stolen and the
phone gets permanently block by the network how do they do that without a
sim card in it. I understand that they can send updates to the sim card but
if it's not in it how does it work. No I'm not a phone thief or have one
but it seems the technology is amazing if they can do that..

Johnny

More about : blocked phones

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 11:08:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Johnny" <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:lvWsc.8374$NK4.991603@stones.force9.net...
> I'm a bit inquisitive. When a phone is reported lost or stolen and the
> phone gets permanently block by the network how do they do that without
a
> sim card in it. I understand that they can send updates to the sim card
but
> if it's not in it how does it work. No I'm not a phone thief or have
one
> but it seems the technology is amazing if they can do that..
>
> Johnny

Simple; the IMEI (serial number) of the handset is entered into a
database.

Ivor
May 26, 2004 11:39:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
news:c91di8$3cm$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "Johnny" <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:lvWsc.8374$NK4.991603@stones.force9.net...
> > I'm a bit inquisitive. When a phone is reported lost or stolen and the
> > phone gets permanently block by the network how do they do that without
> a
> > sim card in it. I understand that they can send updates to the sim card
> but
> > if it's not in it how does it work. No I'm not a phone thief or have
> one
> > but it seems the technology is amazing if they can do that..
> >
> > Johnny
>
> Simple; the IMEI (serial number) of the handset is entered into a
> database.
>
> Ivor
>
>

I understand that but how do they send a signal to block it permanently.
Can the phone receive a signal without the sim in it.

Graham
Related resources
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 11:39:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Johnny <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote:




> > Simple; the IMEI (serial number) of the handset is entered into a
> > database.
> >
> > Ivor
> >
> >

> I understand that but how do they send a signal to block it permanently.
> Can the phone receive a signal without the sim in it.

In the rest of the world, the IMEI/SIM combo is checked. The phone
spits its IMEI to the provider who checks it's database of blacklisted
IMEIs and denies service based upon presence there of the handset in
question's IMEI. The network does not tell your phone anything... The
phone tells the network who it is and calls are placed based upon SIM
validity and not finding the IMEI in the database.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 9:37:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

the phone sends its IMEI number to the network towers every time it tried to
communicate with them. in australia you will get a signal and the phone will
register on the network, but when you try dial out it says you have call
restrictions/barring active. similarly, when you try to call a number thats
active on a blacklisted phone, the towers try to contact the phone, the
phone replies with the imei, network sees its on the blacklist and then the
dialer receives a "the number has incoming call restrictions/barring active"

"Johnny" <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:aYWsc.8378$NK4.991983@stones.force9.net...
>
>
>
>
> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
> news:c91di8$3cm$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >
> > "Johnny" <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:lvWsc.8374$NK4.991603@stones.force9.net...
> > > I'm a bit inquisitive. When a phone is reported lost or stolen and
the
> > > phone gets permanently block by the network how do they do that
without
> > a
> > > sim card in it. I understand that they can send updates to the sim
card
> > but
> > > if it's not in it how does it work. No I'm not a phone thief or have
> > one
> > > but it seems the technology is amazing if they can do that..
> > >
> > > Johnny
> >
> > Simple; the IMEI (serial number) of the handset is entered into a
> > database.
> >
> > Ivor
> >
> >
>
> I understand that but how do they send a signal to block it permanently.
> Can the phone receive a signal without the sim in it.
>
> Graham
>
>
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 4:45:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

>I understand that but how do they send a signal to block it permanently.
>Can the phone receive a signal without the sim in it.

There are basically two types ofblocking.

Phone blocking - most all GSM phones have the ability to lock themselves if you
put a different SIM in them and then don't know the security code for the
phone. This prevents, at the local level, a stolen phone from being used
immediatly.

Carrier blocking - the carriers enter the IMEI number into their database and
the phone is blocked whenever it tries to make a call, regardless of the
validity of the SIM.

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
May 29, 2004 1:39:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Yes you can make an outgoing call with your phone in the UK even if there is
no sim card in the handset. In the UK you can call the emergency services
without a sim in your phone but I dont know of any other numbers you can
call. This is a legal requirement here in Britain, all mobile handsets MUST
by law be able to call the emergency services regardless of network lock or
sim status.
I had the shock of my life a few years back when I found a handset and while
"playing" with it heard a woman saying "hello emergency services" lol. I
assured her I had simply pressed the wrong button on my phone. Funny but I
was shocked at the time. cheers pal.
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 2:57:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"liam" <liam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:7TYtc.18$%h2.2@newsfe1-win...
> Yes you can make an outgoing call with your phone in the UK even if
there is
> no sim card in the handset. In the UK you can call the emergency
services
> without a sim in your phone but I dont know of any other numbers you can
> call. This is a legal requirement here in Britain, all mobile handsets
MUST
> by law be able to call the emergency services regardless of network lock
or
> sim status.
> I had the shock of my life a few years back when I found a handset and
while
> "playing" with it heard a woman saying "hello emergency services" lol. I
> assured her I had simply pressed the wrong button on my phone. Funny but
I
> was shocked at the time. cheers pal.

Actually, you can't. If you have managed to do this, please tell me the
make and model of the handset and where/when you were located. Also what
law do you say requires it..?

It's part of the GSM specification but no UK network currently supports
it. I get "No network coverage" when I try it on any of the several
handsets I have here.

Ivor
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 7:11:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"liam" <liam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:7TYtc.18$%h2.2@newsfe1-win...
> Yes you can make an outgoing call with your phone in the UK even if there
is
> no sim card in the handset.

Not with any handset/network I've ever seen you can't. You should be able
to, and I believe it is part of the GSM specs, but none of the UK networks
currently support it unfortunately.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
May 31, 2004 5:51:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Ah er um. Ive been puzzling over this one. I tried this on my motorolla and
sure enough no connection, then i tried my US sprint phone, still no
service?? Now im thinking this is what may have happened. The phone i did
this with was an old phone i found being dumped, i think it was a motorolls
but cant be sure. Thinking back I think I dialled 112 the european emergency
number. On the phones I have here im still not getting through tho. So could
the phone I used back then possibly have been a european phone from france
or germany say? The woman I spoke to was definetly british emergency
services but im at a loss to explain exactly how this was possible. Sorry to
digress but If I can get a phone from france say to repeat this feat would I
be able to make other free calls?
Cheers.
liam
!