Blocked Phones

I'm a bit inquisitive. When a phone is reported lost or stolen and the
phone gets permanently block by the network how do they do that without a
sim card in it. I understand that they can send updates to the sim card but
if it's not in it how does it work. No I'm not a phone thief or have one
but it seems the technology is amazing if they can do that..

Johnny
9 answers Last reply
More about blocked phones

    "Johnny" <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm a bit inquisitive. When a phone is reported lost or stolen and the
    > phone gets permanently block by the network how do they do that without
    > sim card in it. I understand that they can send updates to the sim card
    but
    > if it's not in it how does it work. No I'm not a phone thief or have
    one
    > but it seems the technology is amazing if they can do that..
    >
    > Johnny

    Simple; the IMEI (serial number) of the handset is entered into a
    database.

    Ivor

    "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

    > "Johnny" <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > I'm a bit inquisitive. When a phone is reported lost or stolen and the
    > > phone gets permanently block by the network how do they do that without
    > > sim card in it. I understand that they can send updates to the sim card
    > but
    > > if it's not in it how does it work. No I'm not a phone thief or have
    > one
    > > but it seems the technology is amazing if they can do that..
    > >
    > > Johnny
    >
    > Simple; the IMEI (serial number) of the handset is entered into a
    > database.
    >
    > Ivor

    I understand that but how do they send a signal to block it permanently.
    Can the phone receive a signal without the sim in it.

    Graham

    Johnny <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote:

    > > Simple; the IMEI (serial number) of the handset is entered into a
    > > database.
    > >
    > > Ivor
    > >

    > I understand that but how do they send a signal to block it permanently.
    > Can the phone receive a signal without the sim in it.

    In the rest of the world, the IMEI/SIM combo is checked. The phone
    spits its IMEI to the provider who checks it's database of blacklisted
    IMEIs and denies service based upon presence there of the handset in
    question's IMEI. The network does not tell your phone anything... The
    phone tells the network who it is and calls are placed based upon SIM
    validity and not finding the IMEI in the database.

    the phone sends its IMEI number to the network towers every time it tried to
    communicate with them. in australia you will get a signal and the phone will
    register on the network, but when you try dial out it says you have call
    restrictions/barring active. similarly, when you try to call a number thats
    active on a blacklisted phone, the towers try to contact the phone, the
    phone replies with the imei, network sees its on the blacklist and then the
    dialer receives a "the number has incoming call restrictions/barring active"

    > "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Johnny" <notachance@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > I'm a bit inquisitive. When a phone is reported lost or stolen and
    the
    > > > phone gets permanently block by the network how do they do that
    without
    > > > sim card in it. I understand that they can send updates to the sim
    card
    > > but
    > > > if it's not in it how does it work. No I'm not a phone thief or have
    > > one
    > > > but it seems the technology is amazing if they can do that..
    > > >
    > > > Johnny
    > >
    > > Simple; the IMEI (serial number) of the handset is entered into a
    > > database.
    > >
    > > Ivor
    > >

    > I understand that but how do they send a signal to block it permanently.
    > Can the phone receive a signal without the sim in it.
    >
    > Graham

    >I understand that but how do they send a signal to block it permanently.
    >Can the phone receive a signal without the sim in it.

    There are basically two types ofblocking.

    Phone blocking - most all GSM phones have the ability to lock themselves if you
    put a different SIM in them and then don't know the security code for the
    phone. This prevents, at the local level, a stolen phone from being used
    immediatly.

    Carrier blocking - the carriers enter the IMEI number into their database and
    the phone is blocked whenever it tries to make a call, regardless of the
    validity of the SIM.

    --
    John S.

    Yes you can make an outgoing call with your phone in the UK even if there is
    no sim card in the handset. In the UK you can call the emergency services
    without a sim in your phone but I dont know of any other numbers you can
    call. This is a legal requirement here in Britain, all mobile handsets MUST
    by law be able to call the emergency services regardless of network lock or
    sim status.
    I had the shock of my life a few years back when I found a handset and while
    "playing" with it heard a woman saying "hello emergency services" lol. I
    assured her I had simply pressed the wrong button on my phone. Funny but I
    was shocked at the time. cheers pal.

    "liam" <liam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Yes you can make an outgoing call with your phone in the UK even if
    there is
    > no sim card in the handset. In the UK you can call the emergency
    services
    > without a sim in your phone but I dont know of any other numbers you can
    > call. This is a legal requirement here in Britain, all mobile handsets
    MUST
    > by law be able to call the emergency services regardless of network lock
    or
    > sim status.
    > I had the shock of my life a few years back when I found a handset and
    while
    > "playing" with it heard a woman saying "hello emergency services" lol. I
    > assured her I had simply pressed the wrong button on my phone. Funny but
    > was shocked at the time. cheers pal.

    Actually, you can't. If you have managed to do this, please tell me the
    make and model of the handset and where/when you were located. Also what
    law do you say requires it..?

    It's part of the GSM specification but no UK network currently supports
    it. I get "No network coverage" when I try it on any of the several
    handsets I have here.

    Ivor

    "liam" <liam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Yes you can make an outgoing call with your phone in the UK even if there
    is
    > no sim card in the handset.

    Not with any handset/network I've ever seen you can't. You should be able
    to, and I believe it is part of the GSM specs, but none of the UK networks
    currently support it unfortunately.

    --
    >>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
    >>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<

    Ah er um. Ive been puzzling over this one. I tried this on my motorolla and
    sure enough no connection, then i tried my US sprint phone, still no
    service?? Now im thinking this is what may have happened. The phone i did
    this with was an old phone i found being dumped, i think it was a motorolls
    but cant be sure. Thinking back I think I dialled 112 the european emergency
    number. On the phones I have here im still not getting through tho. So could
    the phone I used back then possibly have been a european phone from france
    or germany say? The woman I spoke to was definetly british emergency
    services but im at a loss to explain exactly how this was possible. Sorry to
    digress but If I can get a phone from france say to repeat this feat would I
    be able to make other free calls?
    Cheers.
    liam

Nokia Phones SIM Card