Feedback on Canon Digital Rebel XT

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 11, 2005 9:58:24 PM

Hi all:

Time to consider a new camera.

Any feedback on the Rebel digital SLR?

I have the powershot Pro 1 and am looking to go to the next level.

Thanks
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:58:25 PM

Bret Cohen a écrit :
> Hi all:
>
> Time to consider a new camera.
>
> Any feedback on the Rebel digital SLR?
>
> I have the powershot Pro 1 and am looking to go to the next level.
>

> Thanks

I'm very pleased with my Rebel XT and I would recommend it. However, it
is my firts DSLR so I cannot really compare with anything else.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:58:25 PM

Sorry to be the 1st naysayer on the block, but I will be.

I have the "old" Digital Rebel to compare it to, and frankly--I like the old
one better. The new one absolutely improves on crucial things (later), but
it is inferior (in my opinion) in these ways:

* Too small. The grip especially--it's just too darned small.
* Excessive usage of the menus. White Balance, ISO, Qual, Flash Exposure
Compensation--frequently-changed items by many and they all went from a very
"direct" approach to using the LCD menus. Yes there are dedicated buttons,
but you have to press SET for the settings to stick--any long-term Canon
user is apt to be caught off-guard by that--and it uses the color LCD rather
than the control-panel LCD the way my "old" Digital Rebel or just about any
other D-SLR does, making it harder to see in bright light & leading to more
battery drainage--and, frankly, feeling too "point & shoot-ish"
* They went to the Powershot S60/S70 battery, instead of the BP-511(a) which
(I think) every other single Canon D-SLR uses. On the other hand, if you
have an S60/S70 as well and want to share batteries, it is an advantage.

It did, admitedly, improve on the "old" in these ways:

* Faster startup
* Better burst-mode
* 8 megapixels vs 6 (although 6 is still easily D-SLR-grade and not that
much different from 8)
* Un-crippling of 300D's cripplings (although the Wasia/undouchables hack
did much of that already)
* E-TTL II flash
* (Probably) faster image-browsing

I am glad they stuck with Compact Flash, too. If I were buying new I'd go
with the Nikon D50, but I don't like that the D50 went with Secure Digital.
Ditto the Pentax *ist Ds.

No matter what you end up with, the system is the most important thing,
especially if you intend to expand a lot (less so if you intend to just get
2 lenses--wide-normal zoom and normal-long tele zoom, 1 flash & nothing
more), and Canon & Nikon have by far the most comprehensive systems.

LRH
July 12, 2005 12:46:52 AM

In article <4ryAe.338$Rv7.142@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"Bret Cohen" <bvcohen@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Time to consider a new camera.
>
> Any feedback on the Rebel digital SLR?
>
> I have the powershot Pro 1 and am looking to go to the next level.
>

> Thanks

It's perfect except these two things that bug me:

1) The heavy use of the color LCD panel for simple setting changes is
cumbersome. Bump any button and the LCD stays illuminated until you
turn it off, auto-off activates, or the battery goes dead.

2) Screechy shutter windup.

It's refined, easy to use, and takes top quality pictures.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:00:20 AM

"Bret Cohen" <bvcohen@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> Time to consider a new camera.
>
> Any feedback on the Rebel digital SLR?
>
> I have the powershot Pro 1 and am looking to go to the next level.

I like my 350D (UK name). Small, fast and easy to use straight out of the
box. It has masses of functions but you don't need to use them straightway.
Unfortunately I tried an L series lens on it and I am hooked - the image
quality is amazing. L lenses are a bit expensive though. If you have the
cash buy the body and the 24-70 f2.8L. Whilst the lens is a bit big it does
produce excellent pictures and you don't need to stop it down to get sharp
images.

If you don't want to spend that much consider the body and the kit lens
along with a 28-105 f3.5/4.5 USM. It produces decent pictures when it's
stopped down a bit and is quite cheap. Also, for important shots - shoot in
RAW and convert to 16 bit TIFF in the software that comes with the camera;
it allows Photoshop to give you access to a bigger range of tones (I think).

Ultimately, if you want to get the most out of an expensive body you need to
buy expensive lenses.

John
July 12, 2005 3:08:19 AM

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

[XT misfeatures:]

> * Excessive usage of the menus. White Balance, ISO, Qual, Flash Exposure
> Compensation--frequently-changed items by many and they all went from a very
> "direct" approach to using the LCD menus. Yes there are dedicated buttons,
> but you have to press SET for the settings to stick--any long-term Canon
> user is apt to be caught off-guard by that--and it uses the color LCD rather
> than the control-panel LCD the way my "old" Digital Rebel or just about any
> other D-SLR does, making it harder to see in bright light & leading to more
> battery drainage--and, frankly, feeling too "point & shoot-ish"

The thing that annoys me about this is not so much that you have to
press 'set'. It's that having done so you're left in the menu system. So
if you change the ISO and then want to switch AF mode, pressing the AF
button doesn't work. You have to either navigate around the menu system,
or press 'menu' to drop back to the blank screen.

Ideally of course it should have a dial for ISO and a switch for AF
mode. Or a button that works like the drive mode button.

I've not noticed a problem with using the colour screen for this stuff.

> * They went to the Powershot S60/S70 battery, instead of the BP-511(a) which
> (I think) every other single Canon D-SLR uses. On the other hand, if you
> have an S60/S70 as well and want to share batteries, it is an advantage.

Well, given that much of the weight loss from the dRebel->XT is
apparently due to the smaller battery I'm quite glad they did it.

> It did, admitedly, improve on the "old" in these ways:
>
> * Faster startup
> * Better burst-mode
> * 8 megapixels vs 6 (although 6 is still easily D-SLR-grade and not that
> much different from 8)
> * Un-crippling of 300D's cripplings (although the Wasia/undouchables hack
> did much of that already)
> * E-TTL II flash
> * (Probably) faster image-browsing

The important improvements for me would be
: Responsiveness (ie burst ability, shutter lag)
: Selectable AF mode
: CF4
: Available without 'look at me!' silver finish

- Len
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:08:20 AM

"Leonard" <user@example.net> wrote in message
news:D ZCAe.22582$bh1.4516@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
>
> [XT misfeatures:]
>
>> * Excessive usage of the menus. White Balance, ISO, Qual, Flash Exposure
>> Compensation--frequently-changed items by many and they all went from a
>> very "direct" approach to using the LCD menus. Yes there are dedicated
>> buttons, but you have to press SET for the settings to stick--any
>> long-term Canon user is apt to be caught off-guard by that--and it uses
>> the color LCD rather than the control-panel LCD the way my "old" Digital
>> Rebel or just about any other D-SLR does, making it harder to see in
>> bright light & leading to more battery drainage--and, frankly, feeling
>> too "point & shoot-ish"
>
> The thing that annoys me about this is not so much that you have to
> press 'set'. It's that having done so you're left in the menu system. So
> if you change the ISO and then want to switch AF mode, pressing the AF
> button doesn't work. You have to either navigate around the menu system,
> or press 'menu' to drop back to the blank screen.

On my 20D, I just hit the shutter button, that clears the menu out. Can't
you do that on the Rebel?

> Ideally of course it should have a dial for ISO and a switch for AF
> mode. Or a button that works like the drive mode button.
>
> I've not noticed a problem with using the colour screen for this stuff.
>
>> * They went to the Powershot S60/S70 battery, instead of the BP-511(a)
>> which (I think) every other single Canon D-SLR uses. On the other hand,
>> if you have an S60/S70 as well and want to share batteries, it is an
>> advantage.

Only the midrange DSLRs use that one, the 1D/1Ds mkII use a dedicated
battery.
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Skip M wrote:
> "Leonard" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> news:D ZCAe.22582$bh1.4516@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>
>>Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
>>
>>[XT misfeatures:]

>>The thing that annoys me about this is not so much that you have to
>>press 'set'. It's that having done so you're left in the menu system. So
>>if you change the ISO and then want to switch AF mode, pressing the AF
>>button doesn't work. You have to either navigate around the menu system,
>>or press 'menu' to drop back to the blank screen.
>

> On my 20D, I just hit the shutter button, that clears the menu out. Can't
> you do that on the Rebel?

yep, one quick press of the shutter puts the camera back into shooting mode.

I think most of the above complaints are just just whinges, I like the
350D/RebelXT, good size, not too big, easy to use, anyway if someone
wants a bigger grip, just fit the extra battery grip on

>>Ideally of course it should have a dial for ISO and a switch for AF
>>mode. Or a button that works like the drive mode button.
>>
>>I've not noticed a problem with using the colour screen for this stuff.
>>

>>>* They went to the Powershot S60/S70 battery, instead of the BP-511(a)
>>>which (I think) every other single Canon D-SLR uses. On the other hand,
>>>if you have an S60/S70 as well and want to share batteries, it is an
>>>advantage.
>

> Only the midrange DSLRs use that one, the 1D/1Ds mkII use a dedicated
> battery.

yeah, I think its good they are using a more common battery, battery
life is very good in spite of the use of the smaller battery
July 12, 2005 5:11:21 PM

Bret Cohen wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Time to consider a new camera.
>
> Any feedback on the Rebel digital SLR?
>
> I have the powershot Pro 1 and am looking to go to the next level.

got mine a week ago, having used an old 35mm OM1 for 25years, then went
thru a few digital cameras to try them out, but kept missing the SLR,
the Minolta A1 I bought last year is very good, but wasn't totally rapt
in the digital viewfinder but I can either use that or the back view screen.

then I bought the 350D/RebelXt, its great, good size and wieght, not too
bulky like the older 300D, very fast startup, very good battery life,
easy to use.

the pictures are amazing, the larger sensor and 8MP makes a big
difference, get one, you won't reget it :)
!