trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Not sure if this belongs here, it made sense to me so if this is the wrong section I apologize.

I currently have a pair of Turtle Beach PX21's. They are okay, but I've already had to get them replaced once and they sound a little weak IMO.

I have been meaning to get a new headset for quite some time, preferably a Surround Sound one. After doing extensive research I kept eying the Corsair Vengeance 1500's:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816005

Now, I realize these are virtual surround sound, NOT true surround sound with multiple drivers in each ear. However, based on this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/surround-sound-headset-benchmark,3125-12.html
I believe that it really doesn't make a difference in a headset. Yes, I realize this won't provide as good positional audio as a 5.1 speaker setup, but the cost of implementing that for my PC and the convenience make it not probable.

Anyways, I saw that these are going for a very good price on newegg today. After the promo code and MIR, they would only cost me $60. With 50mm drivers as opposed the the 40's in my PX21's, and the virtual 7.1, AND the undoubtedly better build quality, I am VERY tempted to order these.

PROMO CODE ends today, so please reply if you have any experience or opinion!!!

---(TLDR)---
So, the question is, are these(Corsair Vengeance 1500's) a worth spending $60 on if I currently have a pair of Turtle Beach PX21's?

Solution
If you care about sound, it doesn't matter what you already own :D
Yes, I think so. It's rare to get really good audio equipment for a price like that. Personally, I go in for high-end stereo over surround so I can really enjoy my music (Sony MDR-V6 and M-Audio BX5a all the way), but if you want to go the gaming-focused route this seems worth it. I'm assuming $60 isn't all that much money for you.
If you care about sound, it doesn't matter what you already own :D
Yes, I think so. It's rare to get really good audio equipment for a price like that. Personally, I go in for high-end stereo over surround so I can really enjoy my music (Sony MDR-V6 and M-Audio BX5a all the way), but if you want to go the gaming-focused route this seems worth it. I'm assuming $60 isn't all that much money for you.

Solution

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Yeah, should have mentioned this will be for like 90% games, and the other 10% movies and music. So for sure going for audio positioning over audiophile sound quality. I've also heard that with 50mm drivers you get way less distortion when it comes to bass, as opposed to 40mm.

And no, $60 isn't a lot. Considering you get very good audio positioning and good build quality. And according to the Tom's article, even though the audio isn't audiophile quality, it's still really good.