Why is amd keep producing cpu?

jskshs

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
i mean intel is just making apu now, not sure if i should call i series apu, on the other hand amd is producing fx after a8.
why? doesn't amd have good technology or what?

Solution
@ OP

Yes, exactly.

Rather, FX is aimed at a different market than the APU's. ALL FX series CPU's are able to be overclocked, only a few APU's are (ones with 'K' at the end of their model name).

Another to thing to take note, do you really think an FX user will use integrated graphics? 9 times out of 10, anyone buying a high-end CPU will pair it up with a very beefy GPU. Someone buying an APU isn't buying it for the CPU power, rather the GPU power that it can provide to save some money.

This is why there is two different markets for FX series and APU's.
I'm not sure what you mean with your questions.

Intel does not have a line of APU's, only AMD does. Not to mention, Intel's HD4000 graphics are very weak compared to the ones on AMD's APU's, so they can't even be compared.

AMD has a few line of CPU's - Enthusiast - AMD FX, Desktop - AMD APU, Mobile - Mobile APU's/CPU's

jskshs

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
ok so i should call apu for intel
i mean intel includes graphic card inside the cpu
so why dont amd do the same thing?
they did, but why they release fx with out gpu?

AMD did release something with integrated graphics...They're called AMD APU's....

Intel's CPU's have integrated GPU's but they're integrated-class whereas AMD's APU's integrated graphics are discrete level graphics.

Intel = just CPU with integrated graphics

AMD = Called APU's

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/fusion/Pages/fusion.aspx

jskshs

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

my question is why didnt amd continue to make apu? Why did they release FX which it does not have graphic card? Did FX turn out to be better cpu then A series?

AMD FX series is a totally different series of CPU's.

APU's are made for HTPC's or Casual PC users while AMD FX is meant for the enthusiast.

Enthusiast = hardcore gamers/overclockers/modders/you name it. Mainstream/Casual = Basic PC users for people who just check their emails, browse YouTube, etc.

Totally different market.

@ OP

Yes, exactly.

Rather, FX is aimed at a different market than the APU's. ALL FX series CPU's are able to be overclocked, only a few APU's are (ones with 'K' at the end of their model name).

Another to thing to take note, do you really think an FX user will use integrated graphics? 9 times out of 10, anyone buying a high-end CPU will pair it up with a very beefy GPU. Someone buying an APU isn't buying it for the CPU power, rather the GPU power that it can provide to save some money.

This is why there is two different markets for FX series and APU's.

Solution

jskshs

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

yea i know people wont use intergrated graphic card if they are using FX.
I'm just comparing AMD to Intel

While AMD is currently producing consumer APUs and CPUs, I think the day they stop producing CPUs will come within the next 2 years. The problem AMD has is they do not have nearly as much cash as or revenues as Intel. Additionally, the consumer desktop market is contracting due to the popularity of tablets and laptops. Both AMD and Intel needs to diversify their product lines in order to adapt to the changing technology landscape.

AMD needs to stop producing CPUs so that they can save some money and use it to diversify their portfolio and also have extra money to develop their server chips and their APU lines... as well for the Radeon brand name. Giving up the consumer CPU market segment will actually help improve AMD's viability in the short term. The more important challenge is to become a profitable tech company that is able to survive the changing landscape.