MSI Z77A-G45 with Sapphire Radeon HD 7850

sumoboy

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hi all, I just finished my new build and have run into a slight hiccup. I finished building and loaded windows 7 and it all worked. The one thing that doesn't seem to be working is my video card. Under device manager, the display adapter is shown as standard VGA. Initially I thought my video card was DOA but I then brought it over to a friend and tested it in his rig, drivers installed perfectly and the card ran fine. I was told by a tech at memory express that either the motherboard PCIe slot is faulty or the video card is incompatible with my board. I checked the list on MSI's website and sure enough, they don't list the 7850. However, I was told by multiple people on this forum that it is compatible and have seen posts in other forums where users are running the same combo (MSI Z77A-G45 with Sapphire Radeon HD 7850). I was wondering if any of you here on this forum are running this set up and can confirm that it indeed works. If that is the case, I will have to play around with more settings to get it to work. Otherwise I will have to buy a new GPU. Any feedback would be super helpful. Thanks!

sumoboy

Honorable
May 3, 2012
In the Bios, PCIe GEN3 is enabled. I have not had the chance to test another video card. Will be doing that tonight after work. I guess my main concern is; if the card is not listed on the compatibility chart, does that mean it is incompatible? I know I should have checked the chart prior to purchase but I read so many similar builds where this combination worked so I didn't second guess it.