So confused on what to do about next laptop/desktop need oppinions

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I am going to be getting a new computer soon but the problem is i dont know what to put in it or what i need
my criteria
runs photo shop
runs primere elements
decent audio
good graphics
runs portal2
runs team fortress 2
runs just cause 2

i dont know what i really need to do this so i am asking for help.

also the laptop should be able to do all of the above except for the games

also for the desktop would prefer to have a full tower not one of those slim things

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I need a budget...one to work with the numbers on what you expect to spend on a LAPTOP and then I need a budget on what you expect or are willing to pay for a DESKTOP...preference as to AMD vs INTEL...helps narrow down what you are able to build out for your rig.

Also Laptop screen size 13,15, or 17 inch...and the same for a desktop...although you didn't say if you had a keyboard, mouse, or monitor and speakers...I assume you want to be able to hear your games and definitely have to have a external graphics card...ie not onboard video...it won't play your games....So budget is the FIRST thing to address so we know what you can spend!

So post your budget for the laptop AND your budget for the Desktop...also tell us which one is more important for your needs...do you plan on playing games on the laptop...if so...budget needs to be beefed up and you will need excellent cooling...as far as the Desktop goes...we can save a bit and get you what you need depending on your expected useage of the Desktop!

Sorry this wasn't more...but without a budget...it's really hard to guess...components vary widely in cost...thus changing performance widely!

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012
no preference on processor
no preference on screen size
i have all of the pereferials
desktop 500-700
laptop 500-700
i dont need extreme preformance i think
the desktop is the more important one for the games
the laptop i would be happy if it just played minecraft (this probably shows how desperate i am) and did basic video editing, nothing fancy. if anything i could get away with just a desktop for video editing too. i really just need the laptop to replace my dying inspiron 1100 (no it is not dying just has case damage and is old as heck)

also, for both i would prefer to be able to just buy it from dell or lenovo or a place like that but am able to buy pieces and put it together my self if it would be cheaper in the long run.

one last thing. i dont care about extreme sound. i just want it to sound good. not absolutely fantastic knock your socks off good.
i also have a sound blaster pci card and a old (but good) radeon saphire 9800 pcie card, i dont know what type of pcie card it is. so if nessisary i can put those in instead

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I was thinking about this for a laptop

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit with XP Mode Installed edit

MEMORY 4GB DDR3 at 1333MHZ, 1 DIMM edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB SATA Hard Drive edit
VIDEO CARD AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M (128-bit) 1GB Graphic edit

KEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard with Gesture Touchpad edit

BASE Vostro 3550 Laptop
PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.50GHz, with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10GHz)
MOBILE BROADBAND No Mobile Broadband
LCD PANEL 15.6 inch High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with anti-glare
PRIMARY BATTERY 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
WIRELESS CARD Intel WiFi 1030 802.11 b/g/n/BT3.0 Combo
CHOOSE YOUR COLOR Aberdeen Silver WIFI
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability
SECURITY HARDWARE Fingerprint Reader with DigitalPersona software
WEBCAM Integrated HD Webcam and Digital Array Mic with Dell Webcam Central
Bottome Base Bottom Base DVD
E-Star Energy Star 5.0 Enabled
AC ADAPTER 90 Watt AC Adapter with cord wrapping

What do people think about a laptop with these specs will it do everything

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The vostro IS a good deal...I'm using at this moment a Dell Vostro 1520 C2D and I've had it for 3 years now...added a 4g stick of ram for 6G total.

When I got this laptop from their dell outlet center..it was a "certified Refurbished" and every part in it was NEW...I mean Brand spanking NEW. That's how Dell does the outlet center and I picked this up for under $600..$589 I believe.

As far as playing minecraft...your ati 6330M IS NOT on the list...the minimum listed is a 6380G card...see here for cpu and gpu specs

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1235&canMyGpuRunIt=Minecraft#

So everything but the gpu is just fine...look at the list and compare specs as to what you need...that should help.

I'm working on the desktop and will post back with more info in a bit.

I would look into that for your Laptop...the Vostro is an excellent performer and reliable as all heck!

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Another one i am wondering about is this

Description
ThinkPad Edge E430 - 1 Year Express Depot Warranty Edit
Processor: Intel Core i5-2450M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50GHz) Edit
Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) Edit
Operating system language: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
Display type: 14.0" W HD (1366 x 768) LED AntiGlare, Midnight Black Edit
System graphics: Intel HD Graphics (WWAN or mSATA capable) Edit
Total memory: 4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1 DIMM) Edit
Keyboard: Keyboard - US English Edit
Pointing device: UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader Edit
Camera: 720p HD Camera Edit
Hard drive: 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm Edit
Optical device: DVD Recordable Edit
Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery 48WH - 75+ Edit
Power cord: 65W AC Adapter - US (3pin) Edit
Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (2x2 BGN & BT4) Edit
Language pack: Publication - US English

Is this a good setup i know it will run the Adobe Software because lenovo is offering to sell it to me pre installed on the laptop.

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I went back and went through the specs at minecraft...it turns out your 6330M WILL play minecraft...it's down lower on the list...as compatible hardware!...I looked at the thinkpad edge 430 but it only states Intel HD graphics..no optional number or what INTEL HD graphics actually is!

Still looking on the desktop hardware.

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012

both are good though. i have a lead on a potentaly good desktop i just need the laptop really

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Try as I might, I can't put together a desktop from parts that will match your budget...I keep coming up over your budget.

You didn't mention if you already owned Windows and if so what version....vista...win7...32 bit or 64 bit.

I am at around $600 BEFORE a PSU or Video card! when I add in a psu...I'm at $700 and that's without a video card...for gaming...when I add it all in...I come up with...$926 including rebates.

Here's the list...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150597

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157230

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116506

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824262020

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148543

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

If you have a copy of Windows...you save a $100 but otherwise I can't hit your budget...sorry about that but for gaming...that's the minimum I would recommend and the list above is without an aftermarket cooler...I detest the stock Intel Cooler and would recommend spending $34 on this...absolutel smoking performance for your money!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

That's the best I can do...you could probably go AMD and hit a bit closer to your budget but you take a SERIOUS performance hit for video editing and especially in gaming.

I'm not knocking on AMD...but facts are facts....until 2 years ago...ALL I owned was AMD...but I got a core I7 960 for $200 when they were $559 so I couldn't pass up the deal...I admit now that Intel is light years ahead on performance and the cpu I recommended above jumps all over the equivalent AMD cpus....extremely different in performance!

I know this isn't within the budget you outlined...but for what you want the machine to do...this is the minimum I would recommend!!

Good luck my friend!

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
If you got a good deal on a desktop...I would go with the Dell Vostro..excellent product and for a reasonable price at Dell Outlet..also comes with a year warranty I believe!

Good Luck my friend.

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012
ok, what i f i want a amd desktop pre built, i dont want anything too fancy just able to do what i cant do right now

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Ok, check out this...buy at default but up processor to FX-4170 for $34 and right ON your budget!!

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Scorpius_8000/

That's a pretty decent rig and it will do the things you want pretty well!!

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012

thanks. i swaped out a few more things and got it down to 679. seems like a great rig. i will definently look in to this one.

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012
what would people think of this version of the rig
Case: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)
Laser Engraving: Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) (Courier New)
Laser Engraving Message: ALPHATHIEF
Freebies: None
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: AMD FX-4170 4.20 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+34]
Freebies: FREE! DiRT 3 Game
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan [+4]
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI [+8]
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory [-16] (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Freebies: FREE DiRT Showdown Game Coupon
FREE Game - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
FREE! AMD T-Shirt
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Free Game: FREE DarkSiders Game Coupon
Power Supply Upgrade: 700 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+10]
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-19] (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: None [-5]
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Keyboard: None [-4]
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Printer: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USB Port: None
Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY [-83]
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None
Games: None
Ultra Care Option: None
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

i got it down to 600

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Yep...I believe that's an excellent machine with enough cooling in all the right places...besides...it comes with a system warranty from them as well!!

Looks like a winner to me and very good value for the money...plenty of power...plenty of muscle...and plenty of room for most anything.

The gpu should be fine...the cooling should be fine...can't find anything that may be under par for a decent rig!!

For the money...I would leave the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO in the mix...guarantees you NO heating issues with the CPU and thats a huge plus!

Good luck with the machine my friend...I would purchase it as you have it listed above!:)

henk5066

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Thanks will look into purchaseing soon

TRENDING THREADS