Are these temp reading high for an i5 3470 ?

elheriel

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Just started monitoring the temps on a relatively new build I got, which uses a core i5 3470. It goes up to 70C in very demanding games, tho it's usually between 55 and 65.

Am I in trouble ?

Is it 55-65 at idle or underload? Are you using the stock cooler and is the CPU overclocked at all? Also what are you using to get these temp readings?

Thats kind of hot. I would just check to make sure the heatsink is seated right. Also look on the back of the motherboard make sure the black pins are all the way through the clear female adapter. I would buy an aftermarket cooler. A good aftermarket cooler should drop the temps to high 20's to low 30's at idle and mid 40's under load.

elheriel

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Yeah I just checked on the heatsink, everything is seated properly. The problem is that money is going to be tight for a few weeks or months and I won't be able to invest on a new cooler. Would it be a problem if I was to use this for gaming for like 3 months with that kind of temperatures ?

G

that is not all that high of temps but it could be lower.

try decreasing the Vcore (the cpu voltage). chances are your BIOS is set to default with a (+) and AUTO. change the (+) to (-) and change the AUTO to a numerical value.

try offset (-)0.005 then run prime95 for a half an hour; if you get no errors go for 0.010; most likely the increments will be 0.005. you might get away with a higher value to start like 0.050 or a crazy .085 but after that go not more than 0.005 at a time!

as you do this write down the values in a notebook to keep track because you may find yourself not being able to post. if so then reset the BIOS to default by button/jumper/removing the battery.

use CPU-Z to watch what is happening to your Vcore after each adjustment. when you get an error in prime95 bump up the Vcore 0.005 and then test in prime95 for at least 2 hours. your temps should go down after a substantial increase in the (-)offset.

elheriel

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Sorry for the late reply. So I finally found time to check the bios and it is indeed set to auto +

Actually almost everything in the bios seems to be ran on auto by the Asus AI things, which sounds a bit annoying so far. Temperatures and voltages are a real rollercoaster and my performance is rather mediocre for the kind of hardware I have. I can't even get a steady 60 fps with a GTX 670 and 8GB of RAM with settings not even maxed out.

The thing is that I'm a bit scared to tamper with these voltages and I don't have prime95 or other benchmarking tools. Are these free ?

Edit : Also, according to HWmonitor my CPU Vcore keeps oscillating between 0.85 and 1.05. Is this normal ?

cRossOver

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
@elheriel: Honestly, your CPU temperature at full load is normal, consider that fact that you are using a stock heat sink for cooling. Modern intel CPUs are designed to work fully loaded up to 90c. If your CPU temp is reaching anything near or beyond that, then your CPU might have an overheating issue and need to find out what's causing it.
This is the offical answer by intel themselves: http://communities.intel.com/message/190511

Certainly, you don't want to stress your CPU to that limit at all time, hence this will for sure shorten the life span of your CPU.
But even with that, the shorten life span of a CPU may still out live the time you need to get a new system entirely, as PCs components get obsolete really fast anyway?

People like to install after market cooling system to keep things chill at low 30c is nice but not really entirely necessary if you are not overclocking your CPU. The only thing you need to do is, to monitor the CPU temp. periodically and change the thermal compounds undernear the stock heat sink when it dries up when it starts losing its effectiveness (normally will last for 5 years, depending on usage)
In fact, even people with after market heatsink install need to do this too.

Another thing you need to consider is the way we are going to use and tweak our PCs also dictate whether your CPU (and other components in that regard) will last long enough til the entire system is obsolete. In your case, you mentioned you have not done any overclocking and are using your computer for gamming; in a few years (maybe 4-5 years), most probably you won't be able to play most of the demanding game at that time anyway and it will be time for a new PC entirely. Even running at 70c, for sure your CPU will last that 5 years down the road. So, I don't really see there is a immediate concern for the temp. and life span of your CPU here.