Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which processor is better?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 13, 2012 2:31:00 AM

Hey everyone.

I have two mobile processors I'm trying to compare.

Which processor is the better, faster processor?

Intel Core i7-3520M Dual-Core w/Hyper-Threading @ 2.9GHz (Turbo up to 3.6GHz)

OR

AMD A10-4600M Quad-Core @ 2.3GHz (Turbo up to 3.1GHz)

More about : processor

a c 146 à CPUs
September 13, 2012 2:33:39 AM

What are you going to be doing with this processor? Unless you are using this laptop mainly for gaming I would not go with the APU. I would go with the I7.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 2:42:37 AM

rds1220 said:
What are you going to be doing with this processor? Unless you are using this laptop mainly for gaming I would not go with the APU. I would go with the I7.


I'm trying to choose between:
- an $800 laptop with a Core i7-3520M, NVIDIA GT 630 2GB GPU, 8GB of RAM, 750GB HDD, and
- a $650 laptop with an AMD A10-4600M, AMD Radeon HD 7660G + 7670M 1GB Dual Graphics, 6GB of RAM, 750GB HDD.

Is it worth the extra $150 to go with the i7, GT 630, and 8GB of RAM?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
September 13, 2012 2:51:29 AM

I'll second rds's question what is the primary usage of this laptop? Honestly though in a world where cell phones now have dual core processors, and all kinds of other mobile devices to compete with, laptops are cheaper than they've ever been. Treat them like cell phones, get one that does what you need it to do, maybe a little more powerful than necessary, and just junk it in a few years when its no longer on par with your expectations and get a new one.


The answer to your question of whether or not the extra $150 is worth it or not depends on your performance desire. the i7 with the GT 630 probably will play games better, but despite laptops low cost, they're still lousy investments for gaming platforms.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 3:01:44 AM

nekulturny said:
I'll second rds's question what is the primary usage of this laptop? Honestly though in a world where cell phones now have dual core processors, and all kinds of other mobile devices to compete with, laptops are cheaper than they've ever been. Treat them like cell phones, get one that does what you need it to do, maybe a little more powerful than necessary, and just junk it in a few years when its no longer on par with your expectations and get a new one.


The answer to your question of whether or not the extra $150 is worth it or not depends on your performance desire. the i7 with the GT 630 probably will play games better, but despite laptops low cost, they're still lousy investments for gaming platforms.


Yeah, I realize that laptops are generally lousy investments for gaming platforms :p 
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
September 13, 2012 3:14:09 AM

Well if you are gaming than the I7 with a GT 630M chip will be give better performance than a the APU or an Intel CPU with jus integrated graphics. If you do use the laptop for gaming I would also go out and get a laptop cooler because it will probably run pretty hot. My laptop with has an I3 and it runs pretty hot add the CPU and a dedicated GPU chip to the mix and it's really going to run hot.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 19, 2012 7:00:05 PM

firinmylazerman said:
I'm trying to choose between:
- an $800 laptop with a Core i7-3520M, NVIDIA GT 630 2GB GPU, 8GB of RAM, 750GB HDD, and
- a $650 laptop with an AMD A10-4600M, AMD Radeon HD 7660G + 7670M 1GB Dual Graphics, 6GB of RAM, 750GB HDD.

Is it worth the extra $150 to go with the i7, GT 630, and 8GB of RAM?


For Gaming, The A10 is better due to CrossfireX/Dual graphics. I get around 70 fps at High without AA in Diablo 3. While the 630M tops out at 40 to 50 fps.

However, the good gaming results needs driver supports.

The i7 will be better than the A10 in many productivity tasks.

If you are going for gaming and on a tight budget, I would go for the A10. I got my A10 4600M + 7670M around 550 though. so I think that hits the sweet spot for mid range gaming machine.

If you are going to spend 800 bucks on it, Lenovo has the Y580 with i7 3610QM + GTX 660M for around 849 USD. Which is vastly superior.
Share
a c 146 à CPUs
September 19, 2012 7:12:08 PM

Real_GM said:
For Gaming, The A10 is better due to CrossfireX/Dual graphics. I get around 70 fps at High without AA in Diablo 3. While the 630M tops out at 40 to 50 fps.

However, the good gaming results needs driver supports.

The i7 will be better than the A10 in many productivity tasks.

If you are going for gaming and on a tight budget, I would go for the A10. I got my A10 4600M + 7670M around 550 though. so I think that hits the sweet spot for mid range gaming machine.

If you are going to spend 800 bucks on it, Lenovo has the Y580 with i7 3610QM + GTX 660M for around 849 USD. Which is vastly superior.


What are you talking about this is a laptop not a desktop do there is no hybrid crossfire.If you were comparing the APU with the I7 with integrated graphics then yea the APU would be better. The I7 M with a dedicated GTX 600 chip will stomp the APU in gaming.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2012 7:25:15 PM

rds1220 said:
What are you talking about this is a laptop not a desktop do there is no hybrid crossfire.If you were comparing the APU with the I7 with integrated graphics then yea the APU would be better. The I7 M with a dedicated GTX 600 chip will stomp the APU in gaming.

laptops have dual graphics and crossfire as well. The 7660G+7670m is much more powerful than the 630m.
m
0
l
a c 146 à CPUs
September 19, 2012 7:38:42 PM

Yes I know. What I meant was I've never seen one for 800 dollars only those custom ones from Alienware and Falcon Northwest that cost 3000 dollars to start.
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 12:02:50 AM

Real_GM said:
For Gaming, The A10 is better due to CrossfireX/Dual graphics. I get around 70 fps at High without AA in Diablo 3. While the 630M tops out at 40 to 50 fps.

However, the good gaming results needs driver supports.

The i7 will be better than the A10 in many productivity tasks.

If you are going for gaming and on a tight budget, I would go for the A10. I got my A10 4600M + 7670M around 550 though. so I think that hits the sweet spot for mid range gaming machine.

If you are going to spend 800 bucks on it, Lenovo has the Y580 with i7 3610QM + GTX 660M for around 849 USD. Which is vastly superior.


Yeah, that specific Lenovo laptop is over $1100 (not including tax and shipping) where I live, and ASUS and MSI gaming laptops aren't much more than that, so at that point I would just go for ASUS or MSI laptop. The laptop I mentioned with the i7-3520M CPU and the GT 630M GPU is probably the best deal I've ever seen for a laptop at $800 + tax, unfortunately...
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 12:09:53 AM

Best answer selected by firinmylazerman.
m
0
l
!