Need help with a build (haha), question about Motherboard

NilVeres

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hello, I'm currently in the process of buying parts for a new build(the first I've done). I'm mostly set on the parts, but am now seeking to iron out any doubts I have about them working together.

To get to the point I'm getting an Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard. The reason for it is that I got stuck with the 2011 socket after deciding to get a 3930k (hyper threading applications are my tools).

So, all's well and all, but I'm getting a Cooler Master 690 II case, mostly because I live in a very Hot region and I wanted to buy something people actively recommended and wasn't huge. So far it's the one I've liked the most.

Anyway, the Motherboard has some cooling solutions on it, which I'm glad about if they actually work well. However the back of the motherboard might require cooling as well. Will the 690II case suffice? I already have the 80mm Fan that goes on the backplate behind the CPU socket, but the hole in the version I'm getting is smaller than the USB 3.0 Version.

Will this end up damaging the Motherboard or is there not much problem with that?

Solution
Any air moving behind the motherboard will help...and seeing as how most of the back of the motherboard is relatively flat...the air from an 80mm fan will be quite adequate to cover the back of the motherboard.

That's not to say that a 120MM fan wouldn't be quieter and move a lot more air...it would...but an 80MM is plenty big enough to move a fair volume of air against the backside of the Mobo as well...just not as much.

The more air movement anywhere in the case helps move the heat on out...so go for it if that's the mount size for your case...that's what it's there for!

Good Luck!

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The board has built in thermal protection circuits...the case IS excellent for maximizing airflow and keeping your components nice and frosty.

I just use ALL fans as INTAKE...EXCEPT...the highest fan/s in the case...the highest fan/s I place as EXHAUST...heat naturally rises...and so I expedite cool air coming in LOW and EXHAUST the heated air out the TOP...used this config in 2 Antec 1200 cases AND in my current rig...BlackHawk ULTRA Supertower....H100 in push/pull (4x120mm) fans mounted in the top of the blackhawk...my temps are OUTSTANDING and excellent...your case will perform excellent in this config as well.

Hope this helped friend!:)

NilVeres

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Thanks. However I am only/mostly wondering on the back of the motherboard. I am new to everything involved in building the PC but I understand I can put an 80mm intake fan on the back of it to cool the underside of the CPU socket, BUT maybe not enough for the motherboard.

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Any air moving behind the motherboard will help...and seeing as how most of the back of the motherboard is relatively flat...the air from an 80mm fan will be quite adequate to cover the back of the motherboard.

That's not to say that a 120MM fan wouldn't be quieter and move a lot more air...it would...but an 80MM is plenty big enough to move a fair volume of air against the backside of the Mobo as well...just not as much.

The more air movement anywhere in the case helps move the heat on out...so go for it if that's the mount size for your case...that's what it's there for!

Good Luck!

Solution