sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hi. The stock fan that came with my pc and my pentium 4 560 is always blowing so loudly it's getting annoying. I have heard from others that this chip is notoriously hot. What cooling solution would you advise me to get?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hi. The stock fan that came with my pc and my pentium 4 560 is always blowing so loudly it's getting annoying. I have heard from others that this chip is notoriously hot. What cooling solution would you advise me to get?

Oh Yes, the Infamous "Prescott" (Core that Ruined Intel) Well The Stock Speed and Heat your producing the best solution woulda be Water Cooling. Any other form of Fan cooling would be a short coming for the "Prescott" .

PS.My friend that was running his 3.0Ghz Dell "prescotts" is getting system crashes every hour. He Complained to Dell Canada. and they told him that is is a Intel issue and should get in contact with them. He won't listen to me and my Explanation on why "Prescott" cores Are just like that "They Ruined Intel, So they most likely will just tell him to Get another Pentium or just upgrade his processer to another Core.

BTW** It's 42*C In Toronto. He's running with no A/C

YO_KID37: "Dumb, Dell users! More Ignorant than Intel Fanboys"

oldgreyhead

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
THG recentley tested replacement coolers for amd 939s. This one came top.

Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower (Socket 939/754/478/775) CPU Cooler (HS-015-ZA

It fits Intel socket 775 too.

I fitted a hyper 48 to my P4 540, very quiet.

If was doing it today I'd go with the Zalman.

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Thanks. I'm worried that the Zalman won't fit into my case. Are there any other options? is a fan always going to be noisy with my CPU?

doubleflo7

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
i have a 550 and the Asus P5GDC-V, so i know exactly what you're going through. my idle was 52c and load was 68c, which would cause the cpu to throttle. I of course replaced the stock fan right away, but those temperatures above were with a zalman cooler!!! overclocking was just out of the question.

Now it seems as though you have two options here...

1-watercooling (if you have a small case, this might be the only option)
2-GIANT heatsink

I went with number 2.
I got the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, which is a monster of a heatsink, but believe me when i tell you it works wonders. Idle is now 38c, load 49c. When i overclock from 3.4ghz to 3.68ghz, load temp goes up by 2c.

another thing to consider is your case's layout. a case with the power supply directly above the heatsink will NOT help, put your finger between the two and feel for yourself.
the other thing would be to get good case fans, i'm running 3 120mm fans, which can run quietly because they push more air per RPM.