Sign in with
Your question

Can I use internal usb 3.0 PCIE in my Gigabyte ex58-extreme board?

Last response: in Components
September 13, 2012 6:27:17 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have a Gigabyte ex58-extreme v1.0 motherboard for Intel Processors that I purchased over 3.5 years ago and I would like to upgrade to usb 3.0 via my PCIE slot.

I bought a generic VLI usb 3.0 card with 4 slots and made sure it had power yet my 1TB Western Digital Passport with USB 3.0 capability would not work on it at all. Am not sure if its the card, mother board, the PCI-e slot prob, or BIOS incompatibility that impedes USB 3.0 usage.

My question to everyone is, can I or can't I install a usb 3.0 PCI or PCIE card on this motherboard?

If yes, any recommended brand/type?

I am not sure what other info you need. Ask me and I will give you the additional info.

Thank you for your help.
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 3:46:14 AM

The PCI-e x16 slots are only for video cards. Just make sure the card is in the PCI-e x1 or x4 slot and it should be fine. Does the card have a 4 pin power connector? If it does, make sure you have power going to it. Does the card show up in device manager?
a c 324 V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 3:49:17 AM

Does your card have a driver that needs to be installed? Does the card have a PCIe x1 edge connector, or is it PCI?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 4:04:46 AM

clutchc said:
Does your card have a driver that needs to be installed? Does the card have a PCIe x1 edge connector, or is it PCI?

The card in question is an x1 PCI-e card (the chipset is a VLI, which is PCI-e to USB3.0. And drivers or no drivers, he should have at least an "unknown device" show up in device manager.
a c 324 V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 4:13:40 AM

mavroxur said:
The card in question is an x1 PCI-e card (the chipset is a VLI, which is PCI-e to USB3.0. And drivers or no drivers, he should have at least an "unknown device" show up in device manager.

That's why I wondered if he had it in the correct slot. A PCIe x1 card should work in a PCIe x16, 8,4 slot anyway. But his board has PCI slots too. And he was questioning whether or not he could install a PCI or PCIe card in his board. Makes me wonder which card he actually is trying to use...
September 14, 2012 6:58:15 AM

Thank you very much all. I indeed wanted to know if any particular type of expansion card is usable for adding USB 3.0 ports. I know now that its possible through PCIe only due to the bandwidth it offers.

I was unsuccessful with the generic card. I tried the following:

1- Made sure it had power thru a molex connector
2- Made sure the latest drivers from the VIA site were installed
3- Tried the card in all PCIe slots x1, x4, x8, and x16

The card was not identified by the system in any slot except the x1 for which I had to remove the "hybrid silent pipe module" because otherwise it blocks the x1 slot.

In the x1 slot, the devide is recognized and my Win 7 64 bit OS searches and installs the drives automatically (from web I think)

But when I plug in any USB device (2.0 OR 3.0) it doesnt work. The 2.0 devices get recognized as unknown usb devices and dont show up in my computer/explorer as drives. The usb 3.0 is not identified at all.

It may be the card, it may be the mobo. I am not sure whether I should try the NEC chipset or quit dreaming abt usb 3.0 ports on my otherwise awesome rig.

Thank you all for your inputs.
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 3:50:26 PM

clutchc said:
That's why I wondered if he had it in the correct slot. A PCIe x1 card should work in a PCIe x16, 8,4 slot anyway. But his board has PCI slots too. And he was questioning whether or not he could install a PCI or PCIe card in his board. Makes me wonder which card he actually is trying to use...

True, but not always true. A lot of motherboards do indeed have multiple x16 slots, but there are several that designate them for "graphics cards only" and will not work properly with other cards. My EVGA board is a three way SLI board, and while i'm not using SLI, I thought i'd run a PCI-e SAS RAID card in one of the other slots. The system boots and runs, but at regular one second intervals, the entire system freezes and becomes unresponsive for one second, over and over, the entire time it's on. Upon further research, the slots are in fact x16, but the manufacturer warns against using anything other than a video card in the slots.
a c 324 V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 5:02:11 PM

mavroxur said:
True, but not always true. A lot of motherboards do indeed have multiple x16 slots, but there are several that designate them for "graphics cards only" and will not work properly with other cards. My EVGA board is a three way SLI board, and while i'm not using SLI, I thought i'd run a PCI-e SAS RAID card in one of the other slots. The system boots and runs, but at regular one second intervals, the entire system freezes and becomes unresponsive for one second, over and over, the entire time it's on. Upon further research, the slots are in fact x16, but the manufacturer warns against using anything other than a video card in the slots.

Ah. Good to know. I will have to make myself aware of that for future troubleshooting. Thanks for the tip. I've used my PCIeX1 sound card in an unused PCIex16 slot in the past with no issues. But now I know what to look for if a future issue arises.
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 6:27:10 PM

clutchc said:
Ah. Good to know. I will have to make myself aware of that for future troubleshooting. Thanks for the tip. I've used my PCIeX1 sound card in an unused PCIex16 slot in the past with no issues. But now I know what to look for if a future issue arises.

Why it is, i'm not sure. I'm guessing it has something to do with how the PCI-e lanes are switched on some chipsets. I'm not sure it's even an issue on newer boards. My board is an older board (780i chipset) but i've seen newer boards that have that designation too (slots only for PCI-e graphics cards). Maybe someone out there can enlighten me as to why exactly.
!