Confirmed X360 Costs: $399 with HD, $299 without

GC 2005: Xbox 360 Pricing Revealed

August 17, 2005 - Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany,
Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.

The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded model,
and will carry two separate price points.

The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States,
?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the
console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and
an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows
you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360
marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It
does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver
members must upgrade to a Gold membership.

The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United
States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete
with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive,
a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet
cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time (most likely
only though the end of 2005), an Xbox 360 media remote.

The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this
holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and
pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in
mid-September.

<http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642656p1.html>
42 answers Last reply
More about confirmed x360 costs without

    Hillybilly J. Duncequeer wrote:
    > GC 2005: Xbox 360 Pricing Revealed
    >
    > August 17, 2005 - Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany,
    > Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.
    >
    > The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded model,
    > and will carry two separate price points.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States,
    > ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the
    > console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and
    > an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows
    > you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360
    > marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It
    > does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver
    > members must upgrade to a Gold membership.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United
    > States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete
    > with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive,
    > a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet
    > cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time (most likely
    > only though the end of 2005), an Xbox 360 media remote.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this
    > holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and
    > pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in
    > mid-September.
    >

    > <http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642656p1.html>

    Ouch. $400 for the HDD system? So they are asking folks to pay $100
    more for a 20GB HHD?

    I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    generation.

    steven wrote:
    > cant you read?? you also get a wireless controller and remote and headset
    > and HD cables

    No way?!?!?! You get a wireless controller instead of a wired one?
    Wow, where do I sign up?

    Let's add this up. An upgrade of a wired to wireless is about....say
    $10. And a headset? Everyone already has one, so scratch that. A
    media remote? Useless. HD cables? Everyone already has them. Unless
    MS isn't going to follow along the line of Sony and Nintendo and *not*
    make the previous audio/video cables compatable with their newer
    system. I mean Microsoft wouldn't stoop to something like that would
    they?

    So anyway, let me correct myself. So they are asking folks to pay $100
    more for a 20GB HHD? Like I said...I think MS just screwed up any
    chance they have to catch Sony this generation.

    > sounds like a great deal to me, considering the PS3 will cost alot more

    Considering no one knows what the PS3 will cost, I'd say you're lying.

    Everyone doesn't have a head-set capable of working with the 360 or HD
    cables capable of working with the 360. Custom plugs with every
    machine, remember? Plus, consider the actual retail of what these bits
    and pieces sell for...

    console - $300
    a wireless controller - $35
    20GB detachable hard drive - $100
    headset - $30
    component HD audio-visual cables - $30
    Ethernet cable - $20 (remember, we're looking at OEM retail prices...
    yes, ethernet cables are dirt cheap, but the "Xbox Connect" cable, a
    standard cross-over, retails for $20.)
    Xbox 360 media remote - $30

    So if you were to buy the "cheap" version and the OEM packs of
    everything in the bundle, it would run you $545. You actually save $145
    by going with the more expensive package.

    - Jordan

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    > In article <1124291198.829995.44520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    > holleyrp@delanet.com says...
    > >

    > >steven wrote:
    > >> cant you read?? you also get a wireless controller and remote and headset
    > >> and HD cables
    > >
    > >No way?!?!?! You get a wireless controller instead of a wired one?
    > >Wow, where do I sign up?
    > >
    > >Let's add this up. An upgrade of a wired to wireless is about....say
    > >$10. And a headset? Everyone already has one, so scratch that. A
    > >media remote? Useless. HD cables? Everyone already has them. Unless
    > >MS isn't going to follow along the line of Sony and Nintendo and *not*
    > >make the previous audio/video cables compatable with their newer
    > >system. I mean Microsoft wouldn't stoop to something like that would
    > >they?
    > >
    > >So anyway, let me correct myself. So they are asking folks to pay $100
    > >more for a 20GB HHD? Like I said...I think MS just screwed up any
    > >chance they have to catch Sony this generation.
    > >
    > >> sounds like a great deal to me, considering the PS3 will cost alot more
    > >
    > >Considering no one knows what the PS3 will cost, I'd say you're lying.
    > >

    > Sounds like a good deal to me.

    I wouldn't think anything else, coming from MS#1Fanboy.

    > A good wireless controller will cost more than
    > $10 to upgrade.

    I'm not so sure. Wavebird are only $30 and they work flawlessly and
    they are only $10 more than the wired ones.

    > The hard drive is a detachable unit.

    So what?

    > If you dont have the hard
    > drive then you will have to pony up for a memory card.

    That's what some of my point was. Why was the HHD included with the
    $300 Xbox, but now it's not included on the Xbox 360?

    > The HD cable will
    > likely be Xbox360 exclusive so that will save you $20 to $30.

    That's some of my point as well...why is it exclusive? Sony and
    Nintendo allowed me to use my old N64 and PSX cables on my GC and PS2
    respectively.

    > The headset will
    > have the cool new look(just gotta have it).

    And that justifies its high price, cause it's cool looking?

    > The remote is useless? I use the
    > piss out of my PS2 remote. I for one will be coming to the counter with $400
    > on launch day!

    That's cause you're a lemming.

    >I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    >generation.

    Uh huh. Because the PS2 and PS3 *come* with cheap hard drives, right?

    Jonah Falcon

    Note to Holley:

    Most people won't buy a hard drive for the XBox. Astonishing as it
    sounds.

    Jonah Falcon

    Jonah Falcon wrote:
    > >I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    > >generation.
    >
    > Uh huh. Because the PS2 and PS3 *come* with cheap hard drives, right?

    Boy, you are dumb.

    The standard HDD was one advantage MS had over the competition. It's
    something they could have again used as a selling point this fall to
    close the 60 million unit gap on Sony.

    They were launching first, they were rumored to be cheaper than the
    PS3, and they were rumored to include a HDD. Now the only advantage
    they have on Sony is launching first. Big whoop.

    Since I don't own MS stock, I couldn't care less what place they end up
    this generation but as a consumer I find Microsoft to be price gouging
    this time around.

    The Xbox 360 has too many sequels of games I like (PGR3, Edler Scrolls
    IV, Perfect Dark Zero), so I wil eventually get one. But not at $400.

    Let me ask you a question:

    What is $400 to people who are spending up to $300 (200 UK pounds) on
    rare faceplates?

    http://www.igniq.com/2005/05/rare-xbox-360-faceplates-appear-on.html

    Jonah Falcon

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    Ouch. $400 for the HDD system? So they are asking folks to pay $100
    more for a 20GB HHD?

    I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    generation.

    I thought the biggest plus to console gaming was one hardware standard. So
    does this mean developers will just assume *no* hard drive?

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    >I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    >generation.

    No doubt!

    In article <1124291198.829995.44520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    holleyrp@delanet.com says...

    >steven wrote:
    >> cant you read?? you also get a wireless controller and remote and headset
    >> and HD cables
    >
    >No way?!?!?! You get a wireless controller instead of a wired one?
    >Wow, where do I sign up?
    >
    >Let's add this up. An upgrade of a wired to wireless is about....say
    >$10. And a headset? Everyone already has one, so scratch that. A
    >media remote? Useless. HD cables? Everyone already has them. Unless
    >MS isn't going to follow along the line of Sony and Nintendo and *not*
    >make the previous audio/video cables compatable with their newer
    >system. I mean Microsoft wouldn't stoop to something like that would
    >they?
    >
    >So anyway, let me correct myself. So they are asking folks to pay $100
    >more for a 20GB HHD? Like I said...I think MS just screwed up any
    >chance they have to catch Sony this generation.
    >
    >> sounds like a great deal to me, considering the PS3 will cost alot more
    >
    >Considering no one knows what the PS3 will cost, I'd say you're lying.

    Sounds like a good deal to me. A good wireless controller will cost more than
    $10 to upgrade. The hard drive is a detachable unit. If you dont have the hard
    drive then you will have to pony up for a memory card. The HD cable will
    likely be Xbox360 exclusive so that will save you $20 to $30. The headset will
    have the cool new look(just gotta have it). The remote is useless? I use the
    piss out of my PS2 remote. I for one will be coming to the counter with $400
    on launch day!

    cant you read?? you also get a wireless controller and remote and headset
    and HD cables

    sounds like a great deal to me, considering the PS3 will cost alot more

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    Hillybilly J. Duncequeer wrote:
    > GC 2005: Xbox 360 Pricing Revealed
    >
    > August 17, 2005 - Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany,
    > Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.
    >
    > The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded model,
    > and will carry two separate price points.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States,
    > ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the
    > console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable and
    > an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership allows
    > you to create a user id, download game content, access the Xbox 360
    > marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with friends. It
    > does not, however, allow users to play games online. To do this, Silver
    > members must upgrade to a Gold membership.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United
    > States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come complete
    > with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable hard drive,
    > a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables, an Ethernet
    > cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited time (most likely
    > only though the end of 2005), an Xbox 360 media remote.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this
    > holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and
    > pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in
    > mid-September.
    >

    > <http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642656p1.html>

    Ouch. $400 for the HDD system? So they are asking folks to pay $100
    more for a 20GB HHD?

    I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    generation.

    $100 for a 20g drive. What a bargain.

    no not lying, as far as the head sony guy says the PS3 will be expensive.
    Its all down to personal preference but I think that £279/$399 for the
    console is a great deal, i for one already have mine preordered and im sure
    it will be a massive hit when its released.

    In article <1124293033.086400.314700@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    holleyrp@delanet.com says...

    >MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
    >> In article <1124291198.829995.44520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    >> holleyrp@delanet.com says...

    >> >No way?!?!?! You get a wireless controller instead of a wired one?
    >> >Wow, where do I sign up?
    >> >
    >> >Let's add this up. An upgrade of a wired to wireless is about....say
    >> >$10. And a headset? Everyone already has one, so scratch that. A
    >> >media remote? Useless. HD cables? Everyone already has them. Unless
    >> >MS isn't going to follow along the line of Sony and Nintendo and *not*
    >> >make the previous audio/video cables compatable with their newer
    >> >system. I mean Microsoft wouldn't stoop to something like that would
    >> >they?
    >> >
    >> >So anyway, let me correct myself. So they are asking folks to pay $100
    >> >more for a 20GB HHD? Like I said...I think MS just screwed up any
    >> >chance they have to catch Sony this generation.

    >> >Considering no one knows what the PS3 will cost, I'd say you're lying.
    >> >

    >> Sounds like a good deal to me.
    >
    >I wouldn't think anything else, coming from MS#1Fanboy.

    Hell I'm a fanboy of any new consoles. I will be buying a PS3 at whatever
    price point they decide for that.

    >> A good wireless controller will cost more than
    >> $10 to upgrade.
    >
    >I'm not so sure. Wavebird are only $30 and they work flawlessly and
    >they are only $10 more than the wired ones.

    Thats true but the Cube controllers are a little light compared to the current
    Xbox controllers. Look at the Logitech wireless on the Xbox. I think they are
    running about $20 more than a regular controller...maybe even more.

    >> The hard drive is a detachable unit.
    >
    >So what?

    Take it to a friends house without having to lug around the whole unit.

    >> If you dont have the hard
    >> drive then you will have to pony up for a memory card.
    >
    >That's what some of my point was. Why was the HHD included with the
    >$300 Xbox, but now it's not included on the Xbox 360?

    Remember they lost a truckload on the Xbox at $300. I would rather them make a
    little money this time around so that they stay in the business.

    >> The HD cable will
    >> likely be Xbox360 exclusive so that will save you $20 to $30.
    >
    >That's some of my point as well...why is it exclusive? Sony and
    >Nintendo allowed me to use my old N64 and PSX cables on my GC and PS2
    >respectively.

    The progressive cable for the Cube could only be bought directly from
    Nintendo's website which was a pain in the ass. I agree that it would be nice
    but from their standpoint they would rather everybody have to buy new cables.

    >> The headset will
    >> have the cool new look(just gotta have it).
    >
    >And that justifies its high price, cause it's cool looking?

    I say the package as a whole justifies it.

    >> The remote is useless? I use the
    >> piss out of my PS2 remote. I for one will be coming to the counter with
    $400
    >> on launch day!
    >
    >That's cause you're a lemming.

    Could you please direct me to the lemming line when it starts forming?

    Jonah Falcon wrote:
    > Let me ask you a question:
    >
    > What is $400 to people who are spending up to $300 (200 UK pounds) on
    > rare faceplates?
    >
    > http://www.igniq.com/2005/05/rare-xbox-360-faceplates-appear-on.html
    >
    > Jonah Falcon

    Nothing, but most people aren't spending that much money on faceplates.

    Hillybilly J. Duncequeer wrote:
    > GC 2005: Xbox 360 Pricing Revealed
    >
    > August 17, 2005 - Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany,
    > Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.
    >
    > The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded
    > model, and will carry two separate price points.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States,
    > ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the
    > console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable
    > and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership
    > allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the
    > Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with
    > friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To
    > do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United
    > States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come
    > complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable
    > hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables,
    > an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited
    > time (most likely only though the end of 2005), an Xbox 360 media
    > remote.
    >
    > The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this
    > holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and
    > pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in
    > mid-September.
    >

    > http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642656p1.html

    well on this link... http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10877
    they say that the 360 silver live service is not included with the cheap
    core system.

    "Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hillybilly J. Duncequeer wrote:
    >> GC 2005: Xbox 360 Pricing Revealed
    >>
    >> August 17, 2005 - Today at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany,
    >> Microsoft unveiled the price of their upcoming next-generation system.
    >>
    >> The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded
    >> model, and will carry two separate price points.
    >>
    >> The Xbox 360 core system -- priced at $299.99 in the United States,
    >> ?299.99 in Europe and £209.99 in the U.K. -- will come with the
    >> console, a wired controller, faceplate, standard audio-visual cable
    >> and an Xbox Live Silver membership. An Xbox Live Silver membership
    >> allows you to create a user id, download game content, access the
    >> Xbox 360 marketplace and gives Live users the ability to chat with
    >> friends. It does not, however, allow users to play games online. To
    >> do this, Silver members must upgrade to a Gold membership.
    >>
    >> The Xbox 360 fully-loaded system -- priced at $399.99 in the United
    >> States, ?399.99 in Europe and £279.99 in the U.K. -- will come
    >> complete with the console, a wireless controller, a 20GB detachable
    >> hard drive, a faceplate, headset, component HD audio-visual cables,
    >> an Ethernet cable, Xbox Live Silver membership and, for a limited
    >> time (most likely only though the end of 2005), an Xbox 360 media
    >> remote.
    >>
    >> The Xbox 360 will launch in North America, Europe and Japan this
    >> holiday season. Expect to hear more about the Japanese launch and
    >> pricing at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, which takes place in
    >> mid-September.
    >>

    >> http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642656p1.html
    >
    > well on this link...
    > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10877
    > they say that the 360 silver live service is not included with the cheap
    > core system.

    I am pretty positive that the bogus-ass silver live service is free to
    everyone so that is not an issue.

    In article <mridnaKIfdH54Z7eRVn-iA@suscom.com>, boodybandit@hotmail.com
    says...

    >"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    >>generation.
    >
    >No doubt!

    Yeah it sure killed Sony putting out a $100 hard drive and three or four
    versions of the PS2 console.

    "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    > In article <mridnaKIfdH54Z7eRVn-iA@suscom.com>, boodybandit@hotmail.com
    > says...
    >>

    >>"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    >>>generation.
    >>
    >>No doubt!
    >>

    > Yeah it sure killed Sony putting out a $100 hard drive and three or four
    > versions of the PS2 console.

    But that was well after the PS2 was launched and it was sold as a bundle
    with a game. I don't think it would have turned out the same had they tried
    to sell 2 different PS2's. That is why they had to phase out the not
    online-ready PS2's before selling the slim version.

    > Jonah Falcon wrote:
    >> >I think MS just screwed up any chance they have to catch Sony this
    >> >generation.
    >>
    >> Uh huh. Because the PS2 and PS3 *come* with cheap hard drives, right?
    >
    > Boy, you are dumb.
    >
    > The standard HDD was one advantage MS had over the competition.

    .... Sure...in this generation that's the only advantage MSFT had initially,
    hardware. They certainly didn't have an advantage when it game to game
    library or timing of release. Now the Xbox 360 enjoys the advantage of
    being released world wide atleast 6 months ahead of the
    competiton(ultimately larger next gen game library). A superior online
    gaming service. Interoperabitliy with Windows XP, Media Center, and a host
    of other USB connected devices.

    >It's
    > something they could have again used as a selling point this fall to
    > close the 60 million unit gap on Sony.

    Does it even matter how many PS2's Sony sells this fall? Does it matter how
    many standard Xbox's Microsoft sells this fall? This generation is virtually
    over...Sony has the top spot in market share. No one is debating whether
    they should buy a PS2/Xbox or an Xbox 360 this holiday season. People are
    debating whether to buy an Xbox 360, hold out for the PS3 or buy both? The
    race is now who can establish dominance in the next generation (PS3, Xbox
    360, and maybe even Revolution). The HDD doesn't even factor into the
    equation. Casual consumers don't know the Xbox has a HDD or that the PS2
    doesn't have HDD. I'd be willing to bet most consumers don't know what a
    HDD is to begin with.

    > They were launching first, they were rumored to be cheaper than the
    > PS3, and they were rumored to include a HDD. Now the only advantage
    > they have on Sony is launching first. Big whoop.

    and if that was the only advantage Microsoft had it still would be a
    considerable advantage. It's amazing that its not the only advantage.

    > Since I don't own MS stock, I couldn't care less what place they end up
    > this generation but as a consumer I find Microsoft to be price gouging
    > this time around.

    Price gouging? LOL. I'd like to see you find a device with a powerful 3
    core CPU, powerful GPU, Ethernet ready for less than $299. I'd like to see
    you find that same device, with a custom removable 20 gig hard drive,
    remote, wireless controller, etc for less than $399.

    > The Xbox 360 has too many sequels of games I like (PGR3, Edler Scrolls
    > IV, Perfect Dark Zero), so I wil eventually get one. But not at $400.

    Opinions and wallets vary. There are too many great games not to get an
    Xbox 360 at $400. I'm sure *atleast* 2 million other people will have
    agreed with me by years end.

    "Perfect" <picture@perfect> wrote in message

    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    >>> Uh huh. Because the PS2 and PS3 *come* with cheap hard drives, right?
    >>
    >> Boy, you are dumb.
    >>
    >> The standard HDD was one advantage MS had over the competition.
    >
    > ... Sure...in this generation that's the only advantage MSFT had
    > initially, hardware. They certainly didn't have an advantage when it game
    > to game library or timing of release. Now the Xbox 360 enjoys the
    > advantage of being released world wide atleast 6 months ahead of the
    > competiton(ultimately larger next gen game library). A superior online
    > gaming service. Interoperabitliy with Windows XP, Media Center, and a
    > host of other USB connected devices.
    >
    >>It's
    >> something they could have again used as a selling point this fall to
    >> close the 60 million unit gap on Sony.
    >
    > Does it even matter how many PS2's Sony sells this fall? Does it matter
    > how many standard Xbox's Microsoft sells this fall? This generation is
    > virtually over...Sony has the top spot in market share. No one is
    > debating whether they should buy a PS2/Xbox or an Xbox 360 this holiday
    > season. People are debating whether to buy an Xbox 360, hold out for the
    > PS3 or buy both? The race is now who can establish dominance in the next
    > generation (PS3, Xbox 360, and maybe even Revolution). The HDD doesn't
    > even factor into the equation. Casual consumers don't know the Xbox has a
    > HDD or that the PS2 doesn't have HDD. I'd be willing to bet most
    > consumers don't know what a HDD is to begin with.
    >

    >> They were launching first, they were rumored to be cheaper than the
    >> PS3, and they were rumored to include a HDD. Now the only advantage
    >> they have on Sony is launching first. Big whoop.
    >>

    > and if that was the only advantage Microsoft had it still would be a
    > considerable advantage. It's amazing that its not the only advantage.
    >
    >> Since I don't own MS stock, I couldn't care less what place they end up
    >> this generation but as a consumer I find Microsoft to be price gouging
    >> this time around.
    >>

    > Price gouging? LOL. I'd like to see you find a device with a powerful 3
    > core CPU, powerful GPU, Ethernet ready for less than $299. I'd like to see
    > you find that same device, with a custom removable 20 gig hard drive,
    > remote, wireless controller, etc for less than $399.
    >
    >> The Xbox 360 has too many sequels of games I like (PGR3, Edler Scrolls
    >> IV, Perfect Dark Zero), so I wil eventually get one. But not at $400.
    >>

    > Opinions and wallets vary. There are too many great games not to get an
    > Xbox 360 at $400. I'm sure *atleast* 2 million other people will have
    > agreed with me by years end.

    You think they will sell 2 million this year? No way.

    Jordan <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Ethernet cable - $20 (remember, we're looking at OEM retail prices...
    > yes, ethernet cables are dirt cheap, but the "Xbox Connect" cable, a
    > standard cross-over, retails for $20.)

    That better be at least a 20 foot cable for $20...

    Hillybilly J. Duncequeer wrote:

    > The new 'box will come in two flavors, a core and a fully-loaded
    > model, and will carry two separate price points.

    Man. What a bad idea. Even if the underlying logic sort of makes sense --
    people who don't need the bells and whistles don't need to pay for them --
    the fact that the HDD won't be standard is a major bummer, and ditto for
    having to pay extra for it and the wireless controller. The remote's a nice
    addition tho.

    I really, really, really hope that developers take the time to code for HDD
    caching on machines that have one present. Otherwise the HDD just became a
    pricey add-on that's only useful for media storage.

    MS just bought themselves some bad PR with this. Hope they're ready for the
    backlash.

    -Z-

    Yup, 20 feet. I see they have come down $5 since they were introduced
    though.

    - Jordan

    "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > You think they will sell 2 million this year? No way.

    Sure...North America + Europe + Asia should get the 360 to hit atleast 2
    million. If I recall (when the original Xbox launched), in NA alone the
    Xbox sold a bit over a million units by years end.

    Yeah, this is bad news for the launch. In fcat after the E3 drubbing it's
    probably strike 2 and 3.

    I think I'm going to go into "don't care any more mode which means that I'll
    be waiting for the price drop and pickign through the bargain bins. Looks
    like I'll still be playing my Ps2 and Xbox this Christmas. Ah well.

    Well they weren't ready for XBox 1.5 or the 5 FPS Killzone movie so what
    makes you think they will be ready for this?

    Apparently all those slightly creepy Velocity Grrl/Viral marketing, x-treme,
    hipster, neo-marketing warning signs should have been heeded. It seems to
    me that Allard and compnay think they are selling coffee, tarts, and energy
    drinks to late career college students and everyone else(especially the grey
    gamer beardies who actually buy a LOT of games) is/are expendable.

    MTV has spiritually hi-jacked the MS gaming arm and now they think we are
    boob tube programmed dumb asses who watch the Real World every time it comes
    on and they want to sell us their game console as some big elite over priced
    premium yuppy kid status symbol iPod-ish thing. Yech. I think it's over and
    I'm more than a little disgusted. I wanted a game system not some
    overpriced idol carved out of artificial Madisson avenue cloned zeitgeist.

    It's a hundred bucks too much for a damned game machine and the the cheaper
    one isn't an opiton because all the accesories including the hard drive are
    priced to discourage buying the Core and building up.

    Things don't look a lot better for Sony who are trying to sell me a badge
    laminating machine with no HDD as though it were a Krell mind Machine from
    Forbidden Planet that will make my dreams come true without all the Id
    monster side effects. Obviously they intend to up the price too and call it
    a media hub/super computer thing. Teh chromed boomerangs don't help much
    either.

    Nintendo wants me to download old games onto what looks like an external
    backup HDD and forget about HD TV and trust them to create some infamously
    complex and "innovative" frankenstein controller that might go up my butt
    for all I know. SIGH. At least they seem to be thinking that I'm not in the
    mood to hand over 4 c-notes.

    This gaming generation seems destined to burn down the gaming industry. It's
    all like the fall of the Roman Empire in here.

    Not good.

    But I do have some good news. I just saved a lot of money on my car
    insurance by switching to some lizard company or something.

    > "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > In article <mridnaKIfdH54Z7eRVn-iA@suscom.com>, boodybandit@hotmail.com
    > > says...
    > >>

    > >>"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > >>No doubt!
    > >>

    > > Yeah it sure killed Sony putting out a $100 hard drive and three or four
    > > versions of the PS2 console.
    > >

    > But that was well after the PS2 was launched and it was sold as a bundle
    > with a game. I don't think it would have turned out the same had they
    tried
    > to sell 2 different PS2's. That is why they had to phase out the not
    > online-ready PS2's before selling the slim version.

    Not to mention the PS1 did not come with a hard drive.
    No matter how you view it, MS colored glasses or not, MS is making a HUGE
    mistake.

    In article <L_WdnZ2dnZ0YpnLAnZ2dndcGmd6dnZ2dRVn-0Z2dnZ0@suscom.com>,
    boodybandit@hotmail.com says...

    >"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> > In article <mridnaKIfdH54Z7eRVn-iA@suscom.com>, boodybandit@hotmail.com
    >> > says...

    >> > Yeah it sure killed Sony putting out a $100 hard drive and three or four
    >> > versions of the PS2 console.
    >> >

    >> But that was well after the PS2 was launched and it was sold as a bundle
    >> with a game. I don't think it would have turned out the same had they
    >tried
    >> to sell 2 different PS2's. That is why they had to phase out the not
    >> online-ready PS2's before selling the slim version.
    >
    >Not to mention the PS1 did not come with a hard drive.
    >No matter how you view it, MS colored glasses or not, MS is making a HUGE
    >mistake.

    We shall see. Would you have rather they only made the one version at $400?

    > In article <L_WdnZ2dnZ0YpnLAnZ2dndcGmd6dnZ2dRVn-0Z2dnZ0@suscom.com>,
    > boodybandit@hotmail.com says...
    > >

    > >"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    boodybandit@hotmail.com

    > >> But that was well after the PS2 was launched and it was sold as a
    bundle
    > >> with a game. I don't think it would have turned out the same had they
    > >tried
    > >> to sell 2 different PS2's. That is why they had to phase out the not
    > >> online-ready PS2's before selling the slim version.
    > >
    > >Not to mention the PS1 did not come with a hard drive.
    > >No matter how you view it, MS colored glasses or not, MS is making a HUGE
    > >mistake.
    > >

    > We shall see. Would you have rather they only made the one version at
    $400?

    Honesty?
    YES!

    "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> In article <L_WdnZ2dnZ0YpnLAnZ2dndcGmd6dnZ2dRVn-0Z2dnZ0@suscom.com>,
    >> boodybandit@hotmail.com says...
    >> >

    >> >"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > boodybandit@hotmail.com

    > four

    > bundle
    >> >tried
    >> >
    >> >Not to mention the PS1 did not come with a hard drive.
    >> >No matter how you view it, MS colored glasses or not, MS is making a
    >> >HUGE
    >> >mistake.
    >> >

    >> We shall see. Would you have rather they only made the one version at
    > $400?
    >
    > Honesty?
    > YES!

    Me too. That would insure that the HDD would be utilized.

    > "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >

    >> You think they will sell 2 million this year? No way.
    >
    > Sure...North America + Europe + Asia should get the 360 to hit atleast 2
    > million. If I recall (when the original Xbox launched), in NA alone the
    > Xbox sold a bit over a million units by years end.

    I don't see it. There are too many unknowns for it to catch fire enough to
    sell 2 million in less than 2 months. We should have some damned gameplay
    footage by now to be drooling over and not a bunch of stupid screens.

    In article <ZvSdnRLMwu5fJ5neRVn-rQ@suscom.com>, boodybandit@hotmail.com
    says...

    >"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> In article <L_WdnZ2dnZ0YpnLAnZ2dndcGmd6dnZ2dRVn-0Z2dnZ0@suscom.com>,
    >> boodybandit@hotmail.com says...
    >> >

    >> >"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

    >boodybandit@hotmail.com

    >four

    >bundle
    >> >tried
    >> >
    >> >Not to mention the PS1 did not come with a hard drive.
    >> >No matter how you view it, MS colored glasses or not, MS is making a HUGE
    >> >mistake.
    >> >

    >> We shall see. Would you have rather they only made the one version at
    >$400?
    >
    >Honesty?
    >YES!

    Me too but alot of teens are on a fixed income.

    > In article <ZvSdnRLMwu5fJ5neRVn-rQ@suscom.com>, boodybandit@hotmail.com
    > says...
    >>

    >>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> In article <L_WdnZ2dnZ0YpnLAnZ2dndcGmd6dnZ2dRVn-0Z2dnZ0@suscom.com>,
    >>> boodybandit@hotmail.com says...

    >>boodybandit@hotmail.com

    >>four

    >>bundle

    >>> We shall see. Would you have rather they only made the one version at
    >>$400?
    >>
    >>Honesty?
    >>YES!
    >>

    > Me too but alot of teens are on a fixed income.

    What I'm afraid of is that now, we'll have two XB360 camps. We'll have the
    "With" and "Without" groups. I for one would like ONE STANDARD PACKAGE
    with a hard drive. That way the developers won't have to release a dumbed
    down standard version of their games for those without the HD... I for one
    would pay for extra for a HD version..

    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    > >> In article <L_WdnZ2dnZ0YpnLAnZ2dndcGmd6dnZ2dRVn-0Z2dnZ0@suscom.com>,
    > >> boodybandit@hotmail.com says...

    > > boodybandit@hotmail.com

    > > four

    > > bundle

    > >> We shall see. Would you have rather they only made the one version at
    > > $400?
    > >
    > > Honesty?
    > > YES!
    > >

    > Me too. That would insure that the HDD would be utilized.

    EXACTLY!

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo <jojo@cox.net> wrote:

    > >> The hard drive is a detachable unit.
    > >
    > >So what?
    > >
    > Take it to a friends house without having to lug around the whole unit.

    I don't really see the advantage to this. Unless the 360 has the ability
    to have multiple HDDs hooked up at once, you're still going to have to
    rely on memory cards if you wanted to do something like bring over your
    sports team to play against your friend's sports team... Sure, I could
    certainly see Xbox Live being able to provide you with a modest amount of
    online storage (say, 100MB?) so you could upload your team, then download
    it at your friend's house - but then, that sort of makes the "detachable"
    aspect of the HDD a bit moot, no?

    > Could you please direct me to the lemming line when it starts forming?

    Lemmings...now that was a cool game. Especially when you clicked the
    "self destruct" button, and all the critters cowered in fear while a
    countdown of doom appeared above their head.
    5...4...3...2...1...BOO-BOO-BOO-BOO-BOO-BOOM! :)

    When the Playstation came out, wasn't it $299? When the Playstation 2
    came out, it was $299 as well. If you calculate inflation, $299 back
    five years ago is worth $335 bucks today. The basic $299 XBox2 is
    actually cheaper than when PSX, PSX2, and XBOX first came out.

    "Grant" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When the Playstation came out, wasn't it $299? When the Playstation 2
    > came out, it was $299 as well. If you calculate inflation, $299 back
    > five years ago is worth $335 bucks today. The basic $299 XBox2 is
    > actually cheaper than when PSX, PSX2, and XBOX first came out.

    Wow math guy, you are awesome. Now tell me how much the Sega Saturn was.
    Or the Neo Geo? Your inflation theory holds no water because $299 is not an
    industry watermark and systems have launched for different prices
    throughout.

    MS#1Fanboy-JoJo <jojo@cox.net> wrote:

    > We shall see. Would you have rather they only made the one version at $400?

    Why not 1 standard SKU with the HDD, XBox Live Silver, and nothing else
    for $350. Yes, the HD gamers would have to buy their HD kit separately,
    and the DVD folks would have to buy the remote separately, big deal.
    Those could be used by the store to create their own bundles.

    This would still get the high end gamers who are going to buy the $400 kit
    anyways, while enticing a fair number of folks who were only going to buy
    the "core" kit.

    Strychnine <BeERm3@b33r.icyekold.n3t> wrote:

    > What I'm afraid of is that now, we'll have two XB360 camps. We'll have the
    > "With" and "Without" groups. I for one would like ONE STANDARD PACKAGE
    > with a hard drive. That way the developers won't have to release a dumbed
    > down standard version of their games for those without the HD... I for one
    > would pay for extra for a HD version..

    Be careful what you wish for... I can totally see Microsoft allowing
    developers to release a HD and non-HD version - with the HD version coming
    out after the non-HD one, and costing like $10 more...

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > Strychnine <BeERm3@b33r.icyekold.n3t> wrote:
    >
    >> What I'm afraid of is that now, we'll have two XB360 camps. We'll have
    >> the
    >> "With" and "Without" groups. I for one would like ONE STANDARD PACKAGE
    >> with a hard drive. That way the developers won't have to release a
    >> dumbed
    >> down standard version of their games for those without the HD... I for
    >> one
    >> would pay for extra for a HD version..
    >
    > Be careful what you wish for... I can totally see Microsoft allowing
    > developers to release a HD and non-HD version - with the HD version coming
    > out after the non-HD one, and costing like $10 more...

    And that's my point exactly! NOW they can do that, whereas before we were
    all on the same page. I WAS really stoked for the launch, getting ready to
    take my customary week of leave.. But now, I'm forced to take a wait and see
    attitude especially if the price drop hits when the PS3 is released... Man,
    I'm bummed...

Console Gaming Xbox 360 Games Video Games