What is the correct way to install a new monitor?

January 7, 2005 12:44:45 PM

What is the correct way to install a new monitor please?

(a 21 inch ADI Microscan G1000)

I have downloaded (but not used) the latest driver, *ADImonitor104.inf* but
upon first checking in Device Manager I find I have *Default monitor* not
once, but TWICE.

I am not sure how to proceed, although the monitor seems to be working
satisfactorily.

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

zulu wrote:
> What is the correct way to install a new monitor please?
>
> (a 21 inch ADI Microscan G1000)
>
> I have downloaded (but not used) the latest driver, *ADImonitor104.inf* but
> upon first checking in Device Manager I find I have *Default monitor* not
> once, but TWICE.
>
> I am not sure how to proceed, although the monitor seems to be working
> satisfactorily.

I believe that you can simply right click on an .INF file and the
drop-down menu will show "install" as an option. I am not sure if you
should delete the older driver or not, but your system will warn you if
the current file is older than the existing one. Hope this helps.
;-Deano
January 7, 2005 4:22:15 PM

"Deano" <dtwo@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> zulu wrote:
>> What is the correct way to install a new monitor please?
>>
>> (a 21 inch ADI Microscan G1000)
>>
>> I have downloaded (but not used) the latest driver, *ADImonitor104.inf*
>> but upon first checking in Device Manager I find I have *Default monitor*
>> not once, but TWICE.
>>
>> I am not sure how to proceed, although the monitor seems to be working
>> satisfactorily.
>>
> I believe that you can simply right click on an .INF file and the
> drop-down menu will show "install" as an option.

So itdoes!
OK, so I did just that, (clicked install) but not a lot happened!
DM still had two Default Monitors showing, both use MSdrivers dated
06/06/2001 and (iIRC) 01/05 2001
I have nowdeleted that one, so at least I now only have one showing!

Should I have put the .inf file somewhere in the Windows folder first, I
wonder?

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
150DPI

I am not sure if you
> should delete the older driver or not, but your system will warn you if
> the current file is older than the existing one. Hope this helps.
> ;-Deano
Related resources
January 7, 2005 4:49:36 PM

The is an \INF folder under \Windows in which you should have put the
monitor's .inf file.

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Deano" <dtwo@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> zulu wrote:
>>> What is the correct way to install a new monitor please?
>>>
>>> (a 21 inch ADI Microscan G1000)
>>>
>>> I have downloaded (but not used) the latest driver, *ADImonitor104.inf*
>>> but upon first checking in Device Manager I find I have *Default
>>> monitor* not once, but TWICE.
>>>
>>> I am not sure how to proceed, although the monitor seems to be working
>>> satisfactorily.
>>>
>> I believe that you can simply right click on an .INF file and the
>> drop-down menu will show "install" as an option.
>
> So itdoes!
> OK, so I did just that, (clicked install) but not a lot happened!
> DM still had two Default Monitors showing, both use MSdrivers dated
> 06/06/2001 and (iIRC) 01/05 2001
> I have nowdeleted that one, so at least I now only have one showing!
>
> Should I have put the .inf file somewhere in the Windows folder first, I
> wonder?
>
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
> 150DPI
>

> I am not sure if you
>> should delete the older driver or not, but your system will warn you if
>> the current file is older than the existing one. Hope this helps.
>> ;-Deano

January 7, 2005 5:26:22 PM

Personally, i would just let the XP Plug 'n Play install its own drivers,
if it's working ok i'd leave it at that.

--
Best Wishes from Martin

So many questions, so few answers.
January 8, 2005 1:26:23 AM

You must be psychic!
I had just (5 minutes ago) done a search for *.inf to see where the rest
were!
So I need to install it from there, right?

> The is an \INF folder under \Windows in which you should have put > the
> monitor's .inf file.

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Deano" <dtwo@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

>>> I believe that you can simply right click on an .INF file and the
>>> drop-down menu will show "install" as an option.
>>
>> So itdoes!
>> OK, so I did just that, (clicked install) but not a lot happened!
>> DM still had two Default Monitors showing, both use MSdrivers dated
>> 06/06/2001 and (iIRC) 01/05 2001
>> I have nowdeleted that one, so at least I now only have one showing!
>>
>> Should I have put the .inf file somewhere in the Windows folder first, I
>> wonder?
>>
>> --
>> ¦ zulu ¦
>> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
>> 150DPI
>>

>> I am not sure if you
>>> should delete the older driver or not, but your system will warn you if
>>> the current file is older than the existing one. Hope this helps.
>>> ;-Deano

January 8, 2005 2:55:21 PM

Yes.

> You must be psychic!
> I had just (5 minutes ago) done a search for *.inf to see where the rest
> were!
> So I need to install it from there, right?
>
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> The is an \INF folder under \Windows in which you should have put > the
>> monitor's .inf file.
>
>> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Deano" <dtwo@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

>>> So itdoes!
>>> OK, so I did just that, (clicked install) but not a lot happened!
>>> DM still had two Default Monitors showing, both use MSdrivers dated
>>> 06/06/2001 and (iIRC) 01/05 2001
>>> I have nowdeleted that one, so at least I now only have one showing!
>>>
>>> Should I have put the .inf file somewhere in the Windows folder first, I
>>> wonder?
>>>
>>> --
>>> ¦ zulu ¦
>>> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768
>>> 150DPI
>>>

>>> I am not sure if you

January 9, 2005 1:20:38 PM

OK, TYVM :-)