A8 3870 vs i3 vs fx 4100

Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2012 7:15:12 AM

i live in NZ so the prices for all three of these are pretty much the same
so which one is better for gaming

A8-3870 + hd 7750
i3 + hd 7750
fx-4100 + hd 7750

will this setup be enough for black ops 2 and other upcoming games at medium settings at 1400*900 res
do you think a no name psu with 2 12v rails with a total of 30 amps run this setup

my other specs
4gb ram
320gb

More about : 3870 4100

a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 7:31:02 AM

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-ben...

personally i'd pick the i3 for the upgrade path it allows. as for the psu i have no idea without more information. if you can, find out which oem it was created by & verify it's quality, otherwise i'd consider investing in a reputable one so your not running the risk of frying your new toy. have fun shopping :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 7:47:29 AM

Get the i3. The 4100 can deliver fine gaming but you'll likely have to overclock it which means more expenses for power, and also for a cooler. The 3870k has a limited overclock, and it's big selling point is it's integrated grapics. If you pair it with a 7750 you're kind of wasting the chip.
The i3 will play pretty much every game great, altough the lack of 4 cores can hurt some multiplayer games. yet with a mere 7750 you'll more than likely be limited by that before you're limited by the cpu.
The newly released ivy bridge i3 series uses less power than the sandy bridge ones, but their performance isn't that different clock for clock, so if you find a cheap sandy bridge i3 then go for it.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 8:35:07 AM

i3 but don't get it for the "upgrade path".
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 9:29:48 AM

the A8 is not even an option, your paying for an IGPU that will be disabled when it sees the 7750. the 4100 is only somewhat ok if you plan on overclocking it.

the only other option is the Phenom II if you can find one.
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:50:36 AM

price is same though i thought why not the a8 3870
m
l
September 13, 2012 11:18:11 AM

agasis said:
price is same though i thought why not the a8 3870

It doesn't perform quite as well as the I3, but if you can find a Phenom II 955/965 go for that, it's better than the other AMD's you've stated and it performs on par with the I3, only it's better for multitasking.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 1:52:16 PM

Llano is actually excellent for overclocking too. It'd beat i3s in that. With the IGP disabled, Llano uses very little power and has a lot of headroom if you get a motherboard that can use it. However, Llano has literally no upgrade path, so when you upgrade, you'd have to replace the APU and the motherboard. Both LGA 1155 (i3/i5/i7 and some Celeron/Pentiums) and AM3+(FX, Phenom II, Athlon II) are much better in that you wouldn't need to buy a new motherboard when you upgrade. I prefer the AM3+ upgrade path because there are like three or four more generations of AMD CPUs that should be compatible with it, but the LGA 1155 upgrade path is also good.

FX/Phenom II x4/x6 versus i3, that's personal preference there. If you don't mind the higher power consumption of the AMD models, then they can be the better option. Games are getting more well-threaded and they'll beat any i3 in highly threaded performance, especially when overclocked (even more so with the six core models that are in the i3's price range), but even considerably still at stock. However, if power consumption is very important to you, then the i3 is the winner unless you're willing to take an FX-6100 and do some more advanced work with it.
m
l
November 6, 2012 12:59:48 PM

noob2222 said:
the A8 is not even an option, your paying for an IGPU that will be disabled when it sees the 7750. the 4100 is only somewhat ok if you plan on overclocking it.

the only other option is the Phenom II if you can find one.

WOW - Imagination overload... That's the Intel route you're describing to NOOB, AMD has changed all that... Read below::::::

You are misled by intel if you believe that.
AMD Fusion Complements the Discrete Graphics cards you plug in and the GPU/CPU are all working hard all the time. You will get close to 7750 performance without a graphics card.
Ever heard of Hybrid Crossfire or Crossfire X. AMD are out in front with this affordable gaming APU.
You don't lose even 10% of the performance of the onboard GPU when you add the Discrete Card. Run Benchmarks etc . . . but don't believe me, Ask AMD directly, look at sites like this, You might find some ignorance towards AMD, but be what they may, they save YOU money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I have an A6 Quad Core Black Edition running novice Overclock setting on a n MSI board and Skyrim is on 1920x1080p on Very High settings. Just boost your memory instead of buying a graphics card to start with, IE. Buy 1600 or 1866 MHz memory and the whole system runs faster, even the graphics. Here in South Africa the 8GB Corsair memory retails for 500 ZAR, approx 90NZ$ per module for 1866MHz. including Heatsink.
That is not money. Then IF you need to, get a graphics card. But try it at a PC shop and see. The only diffs between mine and the A8 is I've got 3MB cache and the A8 has 4MB cache.
m
l
November 6, 2012 1:09:01 PM

And I'm running all on a 450W Thermaltake PSU.
All you might need is to make sure the PSU has the 2x4pin Motherboard Connector for CPU power. That's all mine needed, Standard Box with PSU bundle. running 4 SATA 3 HDDs, Optical Drive and it has 16GB Memory. All together it cost me (excl HDDs) to upgrade (from Core2 Quad with only onboard graphics to AMD LLANO A6 ) under R3000 ZAR. About 600NZ$. CASE, MB, MEM, CPU, OPTICAL. A Graphics card and a 650W PSU would have cost me R2200 ZAR. So , a no-brainer then... THe core 2 Quad was on a DDR2 MB and the PSU blew after 4 years.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2012 1:16:32 PM

TommySteyn said:
WOW - Imagination overload... That's the Intel route you're describing to NOOB, AMD has changed all that... Read below::::::

You are misled by intel if you believe that.
AMD Fusion Complements the Discrete Graphics cards you plug in and the GPU/CPU are all working hard all the time. You will get close to 7750 performance without a graphics card.
Ever heard of Hybrid Crossfire or Crossfire X. AMD are out in front with this affordable gaming APU.
You don't lose even 10% of the performance of the onboard GPU when you add the Discrete Card. Run Benchmarks etc . . . but don't believe me, Ask AMD directly, look at sites like this, You might find some ignorance towards AMD, but be what they may, they save YOU money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I have an A6 Quad Core Black Edition running novice Overclock setting on a n MSI board and Skyrim is on 1920x1080p on Very High settings. Just boost your memory instead of buying a graphics card to start with, IE. Buy 1600 or 1866 MHz memory and the whole system runs faster, even the graphics. Here in South Africa the 8GB Corsair memory retails for 500 ZAR, approx 90NZ$ per module for 1866MHz. including Heatsink.
That is not money. Then IF you need to, get a graphics card. But try it at a PC shop and see. The only diffs between mine and the A8 is I've got 3MB cache and the A8 has 4MB cache.

Actually, with Llano and Trinity, it's called AMD Dual-Graphics, not Hybrid Crossfire or CrossfireX anymore. Also, the Radeon 7750 and the Llano IGP don't support Dual Graphics. The best card that is supported by Llano for this is the Radeon 6670. With any higher end or different technology generation cards, the IGP does nothing and lets the discrete card do all of the work unless you use the IGP for something else.

Furthermore, A6s and A8s have a lot more difference than cache. Actually, they don't even have a cache difference at all. The difference between them is strictly binning with some die harvesting of the IGP and one or two cores. All quad core and triple core Llano CPUs, A6 and A8, have the same amount of cache per core, 1MiB of L2 per CPU core as well as some L1 cache per core. Furthermore, there are no Black Edition Llano CPUs.

Even with dual-channel DDR3-2133 10-10-10-30, a Llano A8 can't get far past the reference Radeon 5570/6570 DDR3 on its own and even with a 6570 DDR3 or heck, a 6670 (then making it much more asynchronous), it's still not going to beat the 7750. An A6 is weaker than that in graphics performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2012 2:16:28 PM

Both the 3870 and 4100 are superceded now by newer parts, they should not even be considered;

A8 5600K or A10 5800K
FX 4300 or 6300
i3 3220 or 3225

those should be more reasonable options.

The A8/A10 are more feasible in that with a Asrock extreme 6 A85 chipset you are looking barely over $200US for plenty high end features including 8+2 Digi VRM design, 7 Sata 6 ports, 6 USB 3.0 ports, Lucid MVP support. It will be wise to invest in DDR3 2133 or faster as the iGPU really benefits significantly from faster RAM speeds. If you are unhappy with the iGPU gaming performance you can always throw in a HD7750 or 7770 later or better and use Lucid to flip between iGPU and discrete depending on your work load.
m
l
November 6, 2012 3:33:50 PM

blazorthon said:
Actually, with Llano and Trinity, it's called AMD Dual-Graphics, not Hybrid Crossfire or CrossfireX anymore. Also, the Radeon 7750 and the Llano IGP don't support Dual Graphics. The best card that is supported by Llano for this is the Radeon 6670. With any higher end or different technology generation cards, the IGP does nothing and lets the discrete card do all of the work unless you use the IGP for something else.

Furthermore, A6s and A8s have a lot more difference than cache. Actually, they don't even have a cache difference at all. The difference between them is strictly binning with some die harvesting of the IGP and one or two cores. All quad core and triple core Llano CPUs, A6 and A8, have the same amount of cache per core, 1MiB of L2 per CPU core as well as some L1 cache per core. Furthermore, there are no Black Edition Llano CPUs.

Even with dual-channel DDR3-2133 10-10-10-30, a Llano A8 can't get far past the reference Radeon 5570/6570 DDR3 on its own and even with a 6570 DDR3 or heck, a 6670 (then making it much more asynchronous), it's still not going to beat the 7750. An A6 is weaker than that in graphics performance.

K, Thanks,
Anyways, I'm happy without even a Discrete Card and Skyrim looks beautiful and smooth. Will keep your opinion for friends.
m
l
!