• Compatibility
  • Intel
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2012 7:36:27 AM

Hi guys,
Can i ask a quick question?

The asus motherboard P4S8X-MX that I got has a L2 cache of 512KB

I have an intel CPU with a higher L2 cache 1MB,sSpec is SL7E4,3GHz/800/1024KB=1MB

I have checked the forums but no one has asked this question so maybe a quick answer might help.
So,my question is:
Will my cpu be compatible with your motherboard?
ASUS motherboard support website states it can take only 512KB but my intel cpu offers only 1024KB.(no lower)
There is no intel cpu that offers 512KB with the 3GHz and 800Mhz FSB
I have no asus motherboard or any other mobo that offers 3GHz/800Mhz/1024KB

More about : cpu compatible motherboard

September 13, 2012 8:09:09 AM

Cache is internal to the CPU. When a cache becomes full operations are then passed to the slower, main system RAM. The motherboard should have no impact on this.

EDIT: jpoos is correct ... it is bottom on the list; just written as P4-3E GHz instead of 3GHz (doh)
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2012 8:40:29 AM

Thanks for the quick reply guys,
You guys are greeeaattt!
I did not know that my p4 3GHz belongs to the "E - Prescott CPUs with 1 MB L2 cache." definition.
E - Prescott CPUs with 1 MB L2 cache.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/index.html

P4-3E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)

Beta Version 1001
Description P4S8X-MX Beta BIOS 1001
Latest beta BIOS.
File Size
444,36 (KBytes) 2007.01.12 update
Download from
Global (DLM) Global

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_478/P4S8XM...

I guess i have to update my BIOS before i install the newer cpu right now or shall i install the cpu and hopefully it runs and then flash the bios?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 9:11:20 AM

says your cpu is compatible with all mobo & bios revisions so you should have no issues just plugging it straight in. i'd personally update the bios to the latest version just for any bugfixes, but it's not necessary.
m
l
September 13, 2012 10:21:05 AM

Thanks jpoos,
Yeah,i read in some obscure forum that it is better to update to new bios from the old cpu and then add in the new cpu and then reboot..cos the mobo must be prepared to accept the new cpu otherwise the "siren" beeps will sound in an endless loop..or something more drastic..arrrrghhh
m
l
!