Silent Hill 4... what's the word?

i keep seeing the price of this one going down and yet i've heard
nobody really talk about it. Gamespot gave it a 7.9, which says to me
that "it's good, but we're not going to give it the 8.0, so there!"

any thoughts or recommendations?

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
> i keep seeing the price of this one going down and yet i've heard
> nobody really talk about it. Gamespot gave it a 7.9, which says to me
> that "it's good, but we're not going to give it the 8.0, so there!"
>
> any thoughts or recommendations?

I found that I just couldn't get into the game personally. I picked up SH2
when it went to Platinum Hit price and was blown away by it (new to the
Horror Survival genre, only other exposure was the RE series which I always
hated due to control scheme issues), so I quickly picked up SH3 and found it
to be decent but not the same quality as the second. Once I finished with
that I jumped right into 4 and was completely underwhelmed and couldn't make
it past 4 or 5 hours of gameplay. I think the main reason I didn't enjoy it
as much was cause I had been playing the series for so long already and had
had my fill of survival horror by that point, but I do mean to get back into
it one day as its not bad, just doesnt really offer anything more than 3
which already paled when compared to 2.

my 0x02$

Wurm

> I found that I just couldn't get into the game personally. I picked up SH2
> when it went to Platinum Hit price and was blown away by it

Since you played SH3 I assume you have a PS2.
You should have picked up the Greatest Hits version of Silent Hill 2.
It has everything Restless Dreams for Xbox has, even the updated
graphics. It also doesn't have the sound bug found in the Xbox version.

debaser

Fizzlestix wrote:
> i keep seeing the price of this one going down and yet i've heard
> nobody really talk about it. Gamespot gave it a 7.9, which says to me
> that "it's good, but we're not going to give it the 8.0, so there!"
>
> any thoughts or recommendations?

Silent Hill 2 has a better story, the flashlight and the radio.

Silent Hill 4 lacks all three of those things and in my opinion makes
for a poorer game. The first person POV sections in the apartment are
interesting. I liked some of the worlds you get to explore, others I
hated. I also didn't like that you have to revisit them all in the
second half of the game.

The omission of the radio and flashlight removes a lot of the fear
factor. The imagery is standard Silent Hill, if you're a fan you might
as well play it to see the hospital and water tower.

I haven't finished yet. My current save is at the end of one of the
worlds I dislike and I'm so crippled I'm going to have to do that world
over from scratch. I hate to say this, but overall, I thought Obscure
was better than Silent Hill 4.

"Mountain Biker" <Xtard@msn.com> wrote in message

> > I found that I just couldn't get into the game personally. I picked up
SH2
> > when it went to Platinum Hit price and was blown away by it
>
> Since you played SH3 I assume you have a PS2.
> You should have picked up the Greatest Hits version of Silent Hill 2.
> It has everything Restless Dreams for Xbox has, even the updated
> graphics. It also doesn't have the sound bug found in the Xbox version.

Yeah, I played SH3 on the ps2. I didn't notice any sound bug on the Xbox
version though, the sounds were probably the best part of the game :eek:), what
was the bug?

I generally buy all cross platform games on the box simply due to the higher
quality output, although I know there are exceptions to that rule.

Wurm

debaser

Wurm wrote:
> "debaser" <debaserzero@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Fizzlestix wrote:
> > > i keep seeing the price of this one going down and yet i've heard
> > > nobody really talk about it. Gamespot gave it a 7.9, which says to me
> > > that "it's good, but we're not going to give it the 8.0, so there!"
> > >
> > > any thoughts or recommendations?
> >
> > Silent Hill 2 has a better story, the flashlight and the radio.
> >
> > Silent Hill 4 lacks all three of those things and in my opinion makes
> > for a poorer game. The first person POV sections in the apartment are
> > interesting. I liked some of the worlds you get to explore, others I
> > hated. I also didn't like that you have to revisit them all in the
> > second half of the game.
> >
> > The omission of the radio and flashlight removes a lot of the fear
> > factor. The imagery is standard Silent Hill, if you're a fan you might
> > as well play it to see the hospital and water tower.
> >
> > I haven't finished yet. My current save is at the end of one of the
> > worlds I dislike and I'm so crippled I'm going to have to do that world
> > over from scratch. I hate to say this, but overall, I thought Obscure
> > was better than Silent Hill 4.
> >

> Obscure?, never heard of that one.... any comments on it?
>
> off to gamereview to look it up :)
>
> Wurm

It reminded me an awful lot of "The Faculty", the one with Elijah Wood
and John Stewart. Cast consists of the Jock, the Journalism student,
the Tough Chick, the Delinquent, etc.

It's about as scary as a teen flick can get. Set in a school, your
troupe of students go after hours to look for the brother of one of the
girls. You get to control two students at a time and each student has a
special ability (these could have been implemented better). Explore the
school, fight some monsters, solve puzzles, watch cutscenes.

This type of horror is not my first choice in games or movies, but
Obscure nails it as far as teen monster/slashers go. The school itself
is done well, it's old as dirt and unlike any high school most of us
probably attended (the game came from France). The puzzles are logical
and the story is decent with a solid "solving a mystery" feel.

You can also play co-op! Another player can take control of one of the
students. My wife and I tried for a little while, it's not as easy as
playing single but I guess that's the point, it takes a lot of
cooperation due to the fixed camera. I have to give it props for the
attempt, though. I've heard from people who played the whole thing
co-op and had a lot of fun.

Short and sweet, a budget title, there isn't much to complain about.

> Wurm wrote:
> > "debaser" <debaserzero@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Silent Hill 2 has a better story, the flashlight and the radio.
> > >
> > > Silent Hill 4 lacks all three of those things and in my opinion makes
> > > for a poorer game. The first person POV sections in the apartment are
> > > interesting. I liked some of the worlds you get to explore, others I
> > > hated. I also didn't like that you have to revisit them all in the
> > > second half of the game.
> > >
> > > The omission of the radio and flashlight removes a lot of the fear
> > > factor. The imagery is standard Silent Hill, if you're a fan you might
> > > as well play it to see the hospital and water tower.
> > >
> > > I haven't finished yet. My current save is at the end of one of the
> > > worlds I dislike and I'm so crippled I'm going to have to do that
world
> > > over from scratch. I hate to say this, but overall, I thought Obscure
> > > was better than Silent Hill 4.
> > >

> > Obscure?, never heard of that one.... any comments on it?
> >
> > off to gamereview to look it up :)
> >
> > Wurm
>

> It reminded me an awful lot of "The Faculty", the one with Elijah Wood
> and John Stewart. Cast consists of the Jock, the Journalism student,
> the Tough Chick, the Delinquent, etc.
>
> It's about as scary as a teen flick can get. Set in a school, your
> troupe of students go after hours to look for the brother of one of the
> girls. You get to control two students at a time and each student has a
> special ability (these could have been implemented better). Explore the
> school, fight some monsters, solve puzzles, watch cutscenes.
>
> This type of horror is not my first choice in games or movies, but
> Obscure nails it as far as teen monster/slashers go. The school itself
> is done well, it's old as dirt and unlike any high school most of us
> probably attended (the game came from France). The puzzles are logical
> and the story is decent with a solid "solving a mystery" feel.
>
> You can also play co-op! Another player can take control of one of the
> students. My wife and I tried for a little while, it's not as easy as
> playing single but I guess that's the point, it takes a lot of
> cooperation due to the fixed camera. I have to give it props for the
> attempt, though. I've heard from people who played the whole thing
> co-op and had a lot of fun.
>
> Short and sweet, a budget title, there isn't much to complain about.

thanks for the well written mini-review, sounds definetly interesting and at
budget price well, how can I refuse :eek:), sounds like something fun that the
GF and I can go through

....... this is prolly why my backlog of games keeps growing rather than
shrinking

Wurm

i dunno, i despised Fatal Frame. so slow moving and the whole camera
thing... well, it just wasn't my cup o' clorox. i'm considering SH4
only because the price is low. but from what i'm reading here, i may
just hold off a while. I enjoyed SH2, but also found it to be a bit
tedious at times.

Fizzlestix wrote:
> i dunno, i despised Fatal Frame. so slow moving and the whole
> camera thing... well, it just wasn't my cup o' clorox. i'm
> considering SH4 only because the price is low. but from what
> i'm reading here, i may just hold off a while. I enjoyed SH2,
> but also found it to be a bit tedious at times.

I've played them all, and SH4 is a solid title -- not as good as 1
or 2, but the mood is top notch. Not as much roaming, and
It's by far the easiest of the bunch, so a good starting place for
beginners. Be a man and use only melee weapons throughout the
game, and it'll be more thrilling. I managed to make it through
using only 10 bullets, and even those were unnecessary in hindsight.

--crymad

Wurm wrote:
> "debaser" <debaserzero@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Wurm wrote:
>>
>>>"debaser" <debaserzero@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> me

> world

>>>Obscure?, never heard of that one.... any comments on it?
>>>
>>>off to gamereview to look it up :)
>>>
>>>Wurm
>>

>>It reminded me an awful lot of "The Faculty", the one with Elijah Wood
>>and John Stewart. Cast consists of the Jock, the Journalism student,
>>the Tough Chick, the Delinquent, etc.
>>
>>It's about as scary as a teen flick can get. Set in a school, your
>>troupe of students go after hours to look for the brother of one of the
>>girls. You get to control two students at a time and each student has a
>>special ability (these could have been implemented better). Explore the
>>school, fight some monsters, solve puzzles, watch cutscenes.
>>
>>This type of horror is not my first choice in games or movies, but
>>Obscure nails it as far as teen monster/slashers go. The school itself
>>is done well, it's old as dirt and unlike any high school most of us
>>probably attended (the game came from France). The puzzles are logical
>>and the story is decent with a solid "solving a mystery" feel.
>>
>>You can also play co-op! Another player can take control of one of the
>>students. My wife and I tried for a little while, it's not as easy as
>>playing single but I guess that's the point, it takes a lot of
>>cooperation due to the fixed camera. I have to give it props for the
>>attempt, though. I've heard from people who played the whole thing
>>co-op and had a lot of fun.
>>
>>Short and sweet, a budget title, there isn't much to complain about.
>>

> thanks for the well written mini-review, sounds definetly interesting and at
> budget price well, how can I refuse :eek:), sounds like something fun that the
> GF and I can go through
>
> ...... this is prolly why my backlog of games keeps growing rather than
> shrinking
>
> Wurm

If you don't have any of the Fatal Frames you are seriously missing out.
The first Fatal Frame for PS2 has worse graphics than the Xbox version
but it had a superior proprietary sound engine. As sounds could be heard
below and above you. The Xbox version had 5.1 and enhanced graphics.

Fatal Frame 2, while not as scary as FF1 IMO, was awesome on either Xbox
or PS2. Xbox recieved extra outfits and a first person mode. The PS2
version also had a first person mode but it wasn't as refined as the
Xbox version.

Fatal Frame 3 will be out soon and might possibly end up only on PS2.

debaser

Fizzlestix wrote:
> i dunno, i despised Fatal Frame. so slow moving and the whole camera
> thing... well, it just wasn't my cup o' clorox. i'm considering SH4
> only because the price is low. but from what i'm reading here, i may
> just hold off a while. I enjoyed SH2, but also found it to be a bit
> tedious at times.

That's a damn shame. Fatal Frame is one of my all time favorites. I
liked it even more the second time I played. Fatal Frame 2 was a little
dissapointing.

Silent Hill 4 has its moments but I'm glad I didn't pay full price...