I3 or pentium?

G

need a descent CPU thatll last a good 10 years with integrated graphics

the contenders are i3-2100, i3-3220, G850

i have ruled out llano, through my eyes its a dead platform, sure its got better graphics, but from a upgrade-ability standpoint its at its end whereas 1155 can be upgraded to i5 and i7

this will be a general use home computer paired with an ssd

G

for general computing and the efficiency of intels core series i think it will. this computer will be built for a client that is kind of an idiot. he is using a 9 year old processor as it is

spat55

Distinguished

If you only do web searches, i.e check email, few streams, it'll last 6-8 years at least, expecially if you do a re-install of windows every 3 years, and get 4GB RAM with it.

G

if i stick with window 7 i shouldnt have a problem. with the way microsoft seems to be pointing i dont know if ill be sticking with them in the future

What terrible iGPU solutions, I will tell you this much like maybe 70% of games will not work with HD 2000/3000. FM2 is out soon, Trinity is out soon and a A10-5800K with OpenCL and other stardards supported will have a iGPU solution probably around 50% than Intel has, considering Intel are still trying to catch Llano maybe Hawell will get there.

He said nothing about gaming he said general computing. For his needs the Pentium G or I3 is more than enough The Pentium G or I3 is faster and can push more instructions through than AMD's APU's. He would be better off with the sheer performance of he Intel CPU's.

JoeLansing

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I built a cheap PC 2 days ago and I'm impressed. G2120, ASUS HD 6670 GDDR5, $20 case, $20 PSU, Asrock H77 MB. and 8GB of cheap Corsair RAM. I have a 6.9 processor, 7.7 RAM, 7.1 7.1 Graphics. Not bad at all. I get very playable frame rates in WOW at default Ultra settings. Now I need an SSD for caching my hard drives..:)

- Joe