Will AMD compete with Intel again and/or will their be a new company?

spat55

Distinguished
So like the thread title says, will there be a new company to compete with Intel and AMD? Or I wonder if AMD get brought out, at least for their CPU's, and just stick with ATI and make good GPU's. They do a good job at that, is what worries me is that unless their is another company to compete with them the prices are going to get stupid.

Solution
I reckon they say they are not competing right now to give themselves some breathing room and not let down their customers expectations...

While they continue to develop their R&D with less pressure / financial waste in the short time trying Too Hard to squeeze something competitive out in a short time.

Like this they could set longer term development goals with future fab tech in mind with a complete redesign etc could sneak out and give us all a Nice surprise (well, except Intel maybe ~_^ )

I for one have certainly not ruled them out!

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I reckon they say they are not competing right now to give themselves some breathing room and not let down their customers expectations...

While they continue to develop their R&D with less pressure / financial waste in the short time trying Too Hard to squeeze something competitive out in a short time.

Like this they could set longer term development goals with future fab tech in mind with a complete redesign etc could sneak out and give us all a Nice surprise (well, except Intel maybe ~_^ )

I for one have certainly not ruled them out!

Solution
G

its a matter of time before samsung begins making desktop processors, they make everything else. i doubt nvidia will

spat55

Distinguished

You have a good point there, I really want to put an AMD into my next build which will be in around or over 3 years time, I have never had a AMD CPU so would really like to give them a go.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
No samsung only modifies ARM cores and renames them.Like Apple.They won't start making x86 processors any time soon.
As for the AMD vs Intel question.AMD just doesn't have the recources to compete with Intel so they will awlays be a step behind them.

InvalidError

Titan

With Android and IOS slowly eroding the Wintel platform, I would not be too surprised if Android eventually got an "Android for Desktop" API extension to give Android TVs, STBs, tiny-SFF, etc. more desktop-like capabilities and desktop-like hardware.

spat55

Distinguished

Good point, guess we will see in 5 years time.

1] If someone bought out AMD they would not be allowed to make X86-64 chips, simply put the licence AMD has with Intel to produce these chips is non-transferable.

2] AMD does compete, its the myopism going around that suggests otherwise, I will build you any Phenom II or FX blind fold you and do the same with a SB/IB and you will honestly never tell the difference. In single core peformance notably in gaming is like maybe 10% at the price point which is still not a margin deemed excessive.

spat55

Distinguished

Not to sure with that TBH... Would be interesting though but I highly doubt it!

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Wouldn't they call it something like Linux? :lol:

InvalidError

Titan

AMD is the one who created the x86-64 instruction set and licensed it to Intel. What AMD licensed from Intel is the original x86 instruction set.

While the rights may be non-transferable, this usually does not prevent the acquired business from continuing its normal business. What it does do is prevent the buyer from transferring/selling/sub-licensing those rights to someone else. If Samsung purchased AMD, Samsung would still have to get its x86 chips designed and taped out by the AMD teams while keeping the rest of AMD's corporate structure largely intact if they wanted to maintain the option of spitting AMD back out later if they changed their mind and avoid disputes about the x86 rights.

Where the non-transfer clause would bite is if Samsung hypothetically fully absorbed AMD and the x86 rights then decided to re-create AMD to spit it back out, in which case this may be perceived as a non-authorized transfer since this hypothetical new AMD would have almost nothing in common with the original AMD other than the name, rendering the rights worthless.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Cheers :)

Yeah, right now at our end of the CPU segments AMD looses out so much to Intel in pure performance.

In some games the difference is about 30 fps.
I went from an excellent Q6600 @ 3.51GHz to my "new" (I got a Good 2nd hand deal) Xeon X5650 (6 cores / 12 threads) now running @ 3.6GHz and hope to squeeze more out later...

I got this partly to boost my folding@home numbers (26k a day with this CPU), but most Serious folders use 4 Processor rigs actually running AMD 12 core CPU's producing close to 500k PPD and only pulling Just over 500 watts too.
(Their 12 core CPU's produce more PPD than their 16core ones due to architectural differences of internal bandwidth accessing the floating point registers)

I Try to stay AMD when they have a decent product that does enough to keep me happy. Still running my old 5850 GFx card and doing well still today with a little OC. Really good to see their current generation of cards being so strong still.

Can't wait to see what they come out with next in terms of both CPU's and GFx cards - anyways a little lateral thinking can outmaneuver massive budgets and has been done before ~_^