Your question

Can't find out why computer keeps crashing

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2012 4:04:02 AM

First off are my specs.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 Black edition
GPU: AMD Powercolor Radeon HD 6959 1gb
MOBO: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 4Gb (2x 2gb)
HDD: Barracuda 1Tb 7200 rpm (data/games)
SSD: Crucial M4 64 gb (Boot drive)
PSU:Corsair TX 750W

So I've been having this problem for a while. Whenever playing a game of any kind, some time into the game, my screen will go from the last rendered frame of the game, to what looks like multicolor bricks, then either BSOD or just reboot. Upon reboot, it either gives me the option to reboot into safe mode (which always ends up restarting into regular windows), or the system repair option if it doesn't just boot into windows right away.

I've tried upgrading/downgrading my video card drivers, updating BIOS, updating SSD firmware and reinstalling windows.

Right now I suspect the problem to be with the ram and I've been running memtest86 the past couple days to see if there are any errors. However it keeps getting stopped and saying "Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0" when using both sticks of ram, but when running each individual stick, it can either stop within the first few minutes, or go through the night running passes. But regardless, that's the only error I've gotten.

I consider myself pretty experienced with computers. Though this problem is making me question that. It could be multiple problems, it could be a bad ram module. I need some thoughts.

More about : find computer crashing

a b B Homebuilt system
May 23, 2012 4:18:39 AM

run memtest through multiple runs and see if it fails any of it. (oddly enough, this is the 2nd power color gpu related thread in the past few minutes so far)

"it" being the ram sticks
May 23, 2012 4:23:49 AM

Gonna run each stick of ram alone in each one of the four dimm slots. Got a chart to keep track of the error messages, passes run, and time. Going to run each test to at least 7 passes because I heard that's the magic number for memtest.

Lol gonna take probably 16 hours to test all the slotts/dimms

I'm really hoping it's not the video card. I got it off craigslist and don't know if the warranty still covers it.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 23, 2012 4:30:58 AM

cant find any info of the card you type out on amd web page. have you run gpu-z and read the card info and product id to see if it is the card you bought or that someone flashed a cheap card bios to that model??
May 23, 2012 4:36:43 AM

Haven't run gpu-z yet. The guy said that it was a card he got back from RMAing another one that didn't work. I'll check and see what you're talking about when I get done with the memtest though. Since that's what I'm hoping it is. And maybe, just maybe if I hope enough, it might just come true lol.

Thanks for hopping on this sinking ship with me btw. You're free to leave... just would be helpful to have someone to bail water out with lol.
May 23, 2012 4:50:25 AM

Also forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 7 64bit Pro
May 23, 2012 5:30:53 AM

"memtest failed.....", looks like it was the culprit....

but the reason the mem failed could be bad ram module, ram socket, or voltage and timing..... u will need try to eliminate one by one the suspected cause...
May 25, 2012 6:12:58 PM

So I ran memtest for all the different configurations of ram I could possibly have and this is what I got.

My first stick runs fine in three slots. When it was in the first slot, it did get the unexpected interrupt back. The second stick runs in all four slots without failing. But when I run both sticks together, it doesn't matter what order they're in, or which slots they're occupying. they get the unexpected interrupt minutes into the test. So I'm guessing it has something to do with dual channel.
Any thoughts?
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2012 4:49:11 AM

i would rma that stick that did not work in the first slot.
!