$100 For A HHD? I Hope You Enjoying Remaining In 2nd Place..

Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 17, 2005 12:29:07 PM

....because with this moronic pricing, you have zero chance to catch
Sony this coming generation.

After all the in-roads MS made this generation in regards to being
customer orientated and offering the most bang for the buck, they wiped
it completely away with one fell swoop.

If $60 games weren't bad enough, now we got $100 HHD. Oh yeah, well
technically I guess you get more than a HHD for you're $100 but it's a
20GB HHD for pete's sake, how much do they cost? $20?

Oooh wait, we get a headset....which most of us interested in XBL
already have. And HD cables....which most of us interested in HDTV
already have. I'm curious, does that mean MS won't be following in Sony
and Nintendo's footsteps by making their existing audio/video cables
compatible with new systems?

I was able to use my old PSX cables with my PS2, and I was able to use
my old N64 cables with my GC, but is MS saying I won't be able to use
my Xbox HD cables with my Xbox 360? Nice move MS.

I guess they were tired of taking a hit on the hardware side, so now
they plan to pass the cost onto us and gouge the consumer. Oh well, I
guess I shouldn't be surprised I mean this is Microsoft we are talking
about.

Looks like they were really just a wolf in sheep's clothing all this
time with the Xbox.

More about : 100 hhd hope enjoying remaining 2nd place

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:58:49 PM

1. Every game will be $60 for the PS3, etc, too, you know.

2. I think the $100 is if you buy the HD *seperately*. Still may be
$360 to buy a X360+HD.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:17:23 PM

1. The HD-DVD drive is strictly for film, plus you have to have the
television to take advantage of it. There will be NO GAMES that need a
HD-DVD.

Repeat: NO GAMES.

2. The HD of the XBox 360 is REMOVABLE. Repeat: *REMOVEABLE*. You can
BUY the HD-DVD drive and sell the old HD on Ebay if you really, really
need to play HD-DVDs.

Jonah Falcon
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 17, 2005 3:26:22 PM

The HD is external, there's nothing to indicate the DVD drive is user
servicable.

- Jordan
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:12:35 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> ...because with this moronic pricing, you have zero chance to catch
> Sony this coming generation.
>
> After all the in-roads MS made this generation in regards to being
> customer orientated and offering the most bang for the buck, they wiped
> it completely away with one fell swoop.
>
> If $60 games weren't bad enough, now we got $100 HHD. Oh yeah, well
> technically I guess you get more than a HHD for you're $100 but it's a
> 20GB HHD for pete's sake, how much do they cost? $20?
>
> Oooh wait, we get a headset....which most of us interested in XBL
> already have. And HD cables....which most of us interested in HDTV
> already have. I'm curious, does that mean MS won't be following in Sony
> and Nintendo's footsteps by making their existing audio/video cables
> compatible with new systems?
>
> I was able to use my old PSX cables with my PS2, and I was able to use
> my old N64 cables with my GC, but is MS saying I won't be able to use
> my Xbox HD cables with my Xbox 360? Nice move MS.
>
> I guess they were tired of taking a hit on the hardware side, so now
> they plan to pass the cost onto us and gouge the consumer. Oh well, I
> guess I shouldn't be surprised I mean this is Microsoft we are talking
> about.
>
> Looks like they were really just a wolf in sheep's clothing all this
> time with the Xbox.

Don't forget....
There is always that chance MS might release a 360 with a HD-DVD drive.
Just think how screwed people will than feel by MS if that does in fact
happen.
They didn't open the door for Sony to stay way out in front, they kicked it
off of the fricken hinges!
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:16:53 PM

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> 1. Every game will be $60 for the PS3, etc, too, you know.

And WTF does any of this have to do with the PS3? This is an Xbox group so
I don't see how that is relevant or useful in evaluating whether to cancel
my 360 pre-order.

> 2. I think the $100 is if you buy the HD *seperately*. Still may be
> $360 to buy a X360+HD.
>
> Jonah Falcon

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:09:59 PM

Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
> 1. The HD-DVD drive is strictly for film, plus you have to have the
> television to take advantage of it. There will be NO GAMES that need a
> HD-DVD.

> Repeat: NO GAMES.

Has that been set in stone? Again, I can recall articles from at least
one game developer pining for HD-DVD because the larger capacity would
allow them to do cutscenes in native HD resolutions.

> 2. The HD of the XBox 360 is REMOVABLE. Repeat: *REMOVEABLE*. You can
> BUY the HD-DVD drive and sell the old HD on Ebay if you really, really
> need to play HD-DVDs.

You're confusing "HD", "HDD", and "HD-DVD". HD - High Definition (as in
HDTV), or Hard Drive. HDD - Hard Disk Drive (most use HDD to refer to the
hard disk so it doesn't get confused with high definition.) HD-DVD - one
of the competing standards for the next generation of DVD. Will be
capable of higher storage capacities, allowing movies to be presented in
native HDTV resolutions without upscaling.

I haven't heard anything official about whether you will be able to remove
the DVD drive from your 360 and replace it with a HD-DVD one. If
Microsoft is smart, this is how they SHOULD introduce the new drives.
This would allow them to bundle the new drive in with newer Xbox360s,
while allowing they're earlier customers an upgrade path.

Otherwise, if they'll piss off the early adopters, which will come back to
bite Microsoft - hard - when the Xbox3 is released. (for examples, look
at how Sega doomed itself.)
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:45:23 AM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> ...because with this moronic pricing, you have zero chance to catch
> Sony this coming generation.
>
> After all the in-roads MS made this generation in regards to being
> customer orientated and offering the most bang for the buck, they wiped
> it completely away with one fell swoop.
>
> If $60 games weren't bad enough, now we got $100 HHD. Oh yeah, well
> technically I guess you get more than a HHD for you're $100 but it's a
> 20GB HHD for pete's sake, how much do they cost? $20?
>
> Oooh wait, we get a headset....which most of us interested in XBL
> already have. And HD cables....which most of us interested in HDTV
> already have. I'm curious, does that mean MS won't be following in Sony
> and Nintendo's footsteps by making their existing audio/video cables
> compatible with new systems?

And a wireless controller, instead of a wired one in the low end model...and
a wireless headset instead of none on the low end model. Also, you are paying for the
extra software to make the 360 backwards compatible. Sounds like a good amount
of stuff for an extra $100.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:46:17 AM

"Arnaldo Horta" <ahorta@spamdie.comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>> ...because with this moronic pricing, you have zero chance to catch
>> Sony this coming generation.
>>
>> After all the in-roads MS made this generation in regards to being
>> customer orientated and offering the most bang for the buck, they wiped
>> it completely away with one fell swoop.
>>
>> If $60 games weren't bad enough, now we got $100 HHD. Oh yeah, well
>> technically I guess you get more than a HHD for you're $100 but it's a
>> 20GB HHD for pete's sake, how much do they cost? $20?
>>
>> Oooh wait, we get a headset....which most of us interested in XBL
>> already have. And HD cables....which most of us interested in HDTV
>> already have. I'm curious, does that mean MS won't be following in Sony
>> and Nintendo's footsteps by making their existing audio/video cables
>> compatible with new systems?
>
> And a wireless controller, instead of a wired one in the low end
> model...and
> a wireless headset instead of none on the low end model. Also, you are
> paying for the
> extra software to make the 360 backwards compatible. Sounds like a good
> amount
> of stuff for an extra $100.

Except you shouldn't have to pay for backwards compatibility.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:52:48 AM

Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:

> Except you shouldn't have to pay for backwards compatibility.

Except this is Microsoft we're talking about here... Even then, it
remains to be seen how backwards compatible the 360 is going to be.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:52:49 AM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Except you shouldn't have to pay for backwards compatibility.
>
> Except this is Microsoft we're talking about here... Even then, it
> remains to be seen how backwards compatible the 360 is going to be.

I'll be damned. If we are now talking about PAYING for it, it better be
fully backwards compatible or that would be idiotic.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:16:34 AM

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in

> Except you shouldn't have to pay for backwards compatibility.

You had to pay for Master System compatibility on the Genesis, you
had to pay to play GB games on SNES and GBA games on Gamecube, and
most other systems didn't even have backward compatibility. I
don't see how it should just be taken for granted all of a sudden.

--
Don't forget, if you leave your game, hold RESET while you turn
POWER off!!

"V. Equinox" <vequinox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in
>

>> Except you shouldn't have to pay for backwards compatibility.
>>

> You had to pay for Master System compatibility on the Genesis, you
> had to pay to play GB games on SNES and GBA games on Gamecube, and
> most other systems didn't even have backward compatibility. I
> don't see how it should just be taken for granted all of a sudden.

GB games weren't made to be played on the SNES and GBA games weren't made to
be played on the GC. WTF does that have to do with anything? This
generation consists of Sony, MS and Nintendo. Which of those is talking
about charging for backwards compatibility? MS and Nintendo but Nintendo is
only going to charge to play games from previous generations and not the GC
so your point makes no sense.
> --
> Don't forget, if you leave your game, hold RESET while you turn
> POWER off!!
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:16:01 PM

Mattinglyfan <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote:

> > Except this is Microsoft we're talking about here... Even then, it
> > remains to be seen how backwards compatible the 360 is going to be.

> I'll be damned. If we are now talking about PAYING for it, it better be
> fully backwards compatible or that would be idiotic.

Well, we know the 360 is going to be using software emulation to provide
backwards compatibility. Anyone who's ever played around with an emulator
knows that it's never quite the same as using hardware. I'll honestly be
surprised if we see the 360 capable of emulating 50% of the Xbox library
with no performance or stability issues.
!