Opening *.NEF in Photoshop CS2 from Nikon Capture 4.3

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 11, 2005 9:07:57 PM

I'm a newbie and my workflow for converting RAW (.NEF) files from my D70
involves opening and editing my files first in Nikon Capture 4.3 and then
transferring them over to Adobe Photoshop CS2 for final cropping, sizing and
editing. I'm not yet very comfortable doing ALL my work in Photoshop CS2
and like how my shots intially look when I open them up in Nikon Capture.
The Nikon Raw Plug-in of course replaced the Camera Raw Plug-in when I
installed Nikon Capture on my computer. The "Options" setting in Nikon
Capture is set for "Transfers 16 bit data when possible" with regard to the
"open with Photoshop Quick Tools button."
For some reason however, transferring the shot from Nikon Capture to
Photoshop CS2 for final editing transfers the shot in 8 bit mode instead of
16 bits. I'd prefer to continue working in Photoshop with the full 16 bit
shot so as to not degrade it for final editing. Does anyone know how the
transfer the .NEFs into Photoshop CS2 from Nikon Capture in 16 bit quality
(with the Nikon Raw Plug-in installed in Photoshop)? Thanks for any
suggestions.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:52:40 PM

<xtx99@aol.com> wrote:

> The "Options" setting in Nikon Capture is
> set for "Transfers 16 bit data when possible" with regard to the
> "open with Photoshop Quick Tools button."
> For some reason however, transferring the shot from Nikon Capture
> Photoshop CS2 for final editing transfers the shot in 8 bit mode
> instead of 16 bits. I'd prefer to continue working in Photoshop
> with the full 16 bit shot so as to not degrade it for final
> editing. Does anyone know how the transfer the .NEFs into
> Photoshop CS2 from Nikon Capture in 16 bit quality (with the Nikon
> Raw Plug-in installed in Photoshop)? Thanks for any suggestions.

This works for me. I open a NEF file in NC, press the Photoshop button
in the Quick Tools bar, and the file is opened in Photoshop CS2 as
RGB/16.

I am using NC 4.3.0.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you. You might see if Nikon
technical support can help.

Guy
July 12, 2005 2:44:53 AM

<xtx99@aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm a newbie and my workflow for converting RAW (.NEF) files from my D70
> involves opening and editing my files first in Nikon Capture 4.3 and then
> transferring them over to Adobe Photoshop CS2 for final cropping, sizing
> and editing. I'm not yet very comfortable doing ALL my work in Photoshop
> CS2 and like how my shots intially look when I open them up in Nikon
> Capture. The Nikon Raw Plug-in of course replaced the Camera Raw Plug-in
> when I installed Nikon Capture on my computer. The "Options" setting in
> Nikon Capture is set for "Transfers 16 bit data when possible" with regard
> to the "open with Photoshop Quick Tools button."
> For some reason however, transferring the shot from Nikon Capture to
> Photoshop CS2 for final editing transfers the shot in 8 bit mode instead
> of 16 bits. I'd prefer to continue working in Photoshop with the full 16
> bit shot so as to not degrade it for final editing. Does anyone know how
> the transfer the .NEFs into Photoshop CS2 from Nikon Capture in 16 bit
> quality (with the Nikon Raw Plug-in installed in Photoshop)? Thanks for
> any suggestions.

Hi there.

First and main suggestion is to stop using Nikon Capture.

Go to the adobe Plug In Folders and delete the Nikon Plug Ins, otherwise
they will take precedence over the Adobe Converter and limit your conversion
options.

Save your NEF files to your HDD.

Use PS and the Adobe Plug In to convert to Tiff or PSD from NEF. There are
many more controls available on it than there are on the Nikon converter.
Save these converted files to a diffeent folder from the NEFs, and burn the
NEFs onto a Cd or DVD and keep them as your Digital Negatives.

Do your editing etc in PS in 16 bit, and once you are happy, convert to 8
bit for printing and also to save HDD Space.

This is much more sensible than restricting your possibilities by using
Nikon's limited ability software.

Roy G
May 26, 2009 8:47:59 PM

I inadvertently saved my shots as NEF files in Photoshop (Elements 7) and now I can't convert them to JPEG in order to attach them to Outlook emails. Does anybody know how I can convert my NEF photos to JPEGs, with Photoshop?

Max
!