Strange freeze issue new PC PLEASE help

anherox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Hey guys I'm having a serious issue with my new computer and I am completely stumped at the moment. I built my new machine around christmas and it has been working flawless..until last night. I had the machine running while I was watching tv and I heard it make the windows startup noise. I went to check to see if it had installed any updates and restarted itself but when I tried to login but couldn't click in the password field. Then the screen turned on and off and showed a few characters I typed for my password and then nothing again. I was unable to click the power button or get into windows normally so I tried safe mode which worked fine. I tried disabling all startup programs and attempted to login normally with the same results. I decided I'd reinstall windows 7 since I didn't have anything important to lose. I also updated to the latest BIOS. After install I got into windows fine, installed my LAN drivers and windows installed an update for me and asked to restart so I did. Now I am faced with the exact same problem as before on a fresh windows install. It boots straight to my desktop since I no longer have my password and I am unable to interact with the desktop.

If anyone could PLEASE give me some help I would appreciate it so much. If it sounds like a hardware issue and I posted this in the wrong place please direct me to the appropriate forum. Sorry for the long post and thank you so much for your time.

SPECS:
MOBO-Asus P8Z68-V Pro
CPU- Intel Core i5 2500k @ stock
RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb DDR 3 1600
SSD- 128gb Crucial M4 0009 firmware
HDD- Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb for storage
GPU- AMD Sapphire Radeon 6950 2gb Dirt 3 edition
PSU- 850w Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850w
OS- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

I know this sounds silly, but what do you have for a keyboard and mouse, are the gaming sets with extra buttons and functions, if so try a different one. Other than that, If its doing it after you rebuilt it, I would do a memtest and see what you get for results, and test the os drive as well.

anherox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I think I figured out the problem. I've been doing some troubleshooting and thought it might have been my SSD, so I unplugged it and reinstalled windows again on my HDD. Same thing happened again. I booted into windows after installation and after I restarted the same symptoms occured. I got a message saying the video driver stopped responding so I removed the video card and rebooted with my monitor plugged into the onboard video on my z68 motherboard and now I'm able to get into windows just fine. I tested with the HDD then the SSD and both work. Guess I'm going to have to replace my video card?

anherox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I believe I was using 11.1 or 11.2. I hadn't had any problems with either though. Like I said it just happened out of nowhere and I wasn't even using my computer at the time. Heard the windows startup noise, looked at computer and couldn't use it. Went through everything I previously wrote and after removing the card and using onboard video everything works just fine. What do you suggest I do? I just emailed newegg support to see if I can get a replacement but I got the card in November so I may have to go through Sapphire if an RMA is my only option.

anherox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Well the first time I'm not sure if it was an update or not, but the other 2 times it happened after I reinstalled windows and restarted soon after windows installed its first updates. I'm unsure of the exact update but all I know now is that everything is working just fine without the video card in.