What CPU to get? Leaning torwards AMD.

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
Hey guys, first post here.

I currently have a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz, 1GB DDR400 Kingston memory, which I will move over to my new system.

I'm buying a new motherboard [I really like Asus], CPU and graphics card. I want this new computer for my personal computer, most of the time I'm just browsing the net, with icq, msn open with winamp. I also need Photoshop with very large files [20mb files] so I need it to run fast. Also I play some games [Counter Strike Source] and some new games, so I want it to be able to run those fast.

So I heard AMD is better. I have a budget of about $300 USD for the CPU. I can either get one of the best opteron single core's or the worst dual cores available for that price range. I read many messages saying dual cores don't run good with some older games, is that true?

so what do you guys suggest? thanks!!

- Tomer

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Question is: is salvaging 1 GB ram worth it to sacrifice your upgrade path?
There will be no new cpus for s939.

AMD currently is better, but Conroe is coming out soon enough, at the end of July. It's a new generation of chips with much better performance.

As for single vs dual core: dc are better at multitasking, however most games don't take advantage of multithreading yet.

Can't wait for conroe, then go for a single core athlon 64. Right now, the socket 939 3000 is about $105, and it should overclock some. It's the best value for 939, but the new am2 3000 is the same price (at newegg) if you decide to change to ddr2.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
It's the best value for 939, but the new am2 3000 is the same price (at newegg) if you decide to change to ddr2.
But for that you also have Semprons, which now got dual-channel, so they might be even more bang-for-the-buck.
However, I'd still wait for Conroe (heck, I am) - as Conroe comes out, AMD will probably drop their prices.

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
sorry, i dont know what GPU is..

only problem, is that I live out of the USA, and I have a family member going to the states in 2 weeks, so that's a good time to have him bring me the goods...

in july, i wont have any way to bring it in, as buying it locally is very expensive...

so i need to buy something in the next 2 weeks... so high class single core, or low class dual core?

thx
- tomer

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
oh yeah i need a new one of those too. :) any suggestions?

ok i'll check that cpu out..

btw i'm keeping the ddr memory, I just bought it and want to use it. :)

thx
- tomer

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
ok i see the cpu, it's the same one I was looking at before, only dual core amd in my budget [> $300]. i see that it's not good for some older games? anyone know anything about that?

thx
- tomer

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
i see that it's not good for some older games?
Who said that?
In a price/performance ratio, dc is a bit behind in some games, but they are by no means bad.

As for gpu:
a 7600GS, if you are on a budget and want the most out of your money; an x1800XL if you have some more to spend.

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
sorry, i dont know what GPU is..

only problem, is that I live out of the USA, and I have a family member going to the states in 2 weeks, so that's a good time to have him bring me the goods...

in july, i wont have any way to bring it in, as buying it locally is very expensive...

so i need to buy something in the next 2 weeks... so high class single core, or low class dual core?

thx
- tomer

Then a new AMD X2 3800+ is probably your best bet. They are generally considered the best DT CPU out there today (aside from the enthusiast variant) but for the money it is a darn good CPU.

A GPU is a grphics processing unit -- or simply your video card.

Jack

hey guys wot abt Pentium Ds they are also very cheap these dayz... and also perform gr8!

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I prefer the X2 3800 over the Pentium D's if you can afford the price difference. It's about $100..... I would also go with the X1800 series of cards,
the price to performance is better than the X1900's..... that's is what I have seen. If you want to overclock it alot... the Pentium D's 9XX's and 805 OC alot.... but you better have good cooling and a good 500W psu....

cubicleslave

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
If price matters to you, it might be worth considering an Intel chip. They have recently drastically dropped their prices across the board, to clear old inventory before Conroe comes. I haven't heard that AMD has done anything to match those price drops, so the best performance for your dollar is probably Intel by a long shot. Check out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

pat

Expert
ok i see the cpu, it's the same one I was looking at before, only dual core amd in my budget [> $300]. i see that it's not good for some older games? anyone know anything about that?

thx
- tomer

There is nothing wrong getting a socket 939. The 3800+ X2 is a nice CPU that would last long enough for nor caring about AM2, conroe.. It'll work fine, don't worry.

Since you already have the ddr memory, this cpu will do good.

Peoples that advice to wait for something better have no life.. They'll spend their life waiting anyway and alway get lesser computer, as there will always be something better around the corner. You get a computer now, you enjoy it now and you upgrade when it won't be fast enough .. It can be any time, from 3 month to 3 years...or even more..

The only advice about motherboard is to net buy feature you don't need. SLI, additionnal SATA controller, Crossfire, dual LAN,... All that add to increase cost, especially if you won't use them.

Don't be fooled by SATA2 feature.. Worth nothing now in term of performance, just some not that useful feature. So, just don't turn off a motherboard because it don't have SATA2.

Something nice, like a X2 3800+, an Asus A8N5X motherboard and an ATI x1900 serie video card will make something nice for the next few years. Your graphic card will be the limiting factor, especially when games will be fully optimized for dual core.

As for dual core having difficulties with older game, well, there is a dual core patch from microsoft, but you may not even need it..

pat

Expert
@ Pat - Thanks so much for the advise, you really seem to know your way around. OK so I got the amd 64 x2 3800+, and the ASUS A8N5X, but the video card you suggested is out of my price budget [$400-$500], how's this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102505

Thanks so much again!
- Tomer

Should be nice enough for now, that will allow you to save for a better one next year.

Oh, and by the way, don't forget to get a nice PSU to power that system. No need for premium one, but don't go too cheap thou.. Ask in the psu forum for good advise.

pat

Expert
hey guys wot abt Pentium Ds they are also very cheap these dayz... and also perform gr8!

Pentium D don't perform great. They perform great for their price, which is not the same. Still slower than AMD comparable model, get hotter and consume more power.

And in his case, it would have meant to throw away its new ddr memory for slow DDR2. the price of the memory+the CPU wouldn't have done a good deal for a CPU to match the 3800+.

Right now, DDR2 memory is not really an option for an upgrade. Yes, the memory bandwidth is better, but the cost for that is too much.

It is just like a fast train, with efficient boarding and unloading time vs a very fast train which take hours to get the people in, but once in move it very fast but then again, take hours to take the people out.

1 hour boarding+1 hour travel+ 1 hour unboarding is still slower .25 hour boarding+ 2 hours travel +.25 hour getting the people out.

Faster memory is needed to make the newer CPU to shine. Just wasted money to throw away fast DDR memory for DDR2 one now..

RichPLS

Champion
1 hour boarding+1 hour travel+ 1 hour unboarding is still slower .25 hour boarding+ 2 hours travel +.25 hour getting the people out.

But if you are the last one on that train, and the first one off, then you are the fastest still at only 1hr and 2min's!!!! :wink:

pat

Expert

But if you are the last one on that train, and the first one off, then you are the fastest still at only 1hr and 2min's!!!! :wink:

No, it is so unneficient that if you do that, the controller will be confused, put everybody back on board and start again wil the unloading procedure..If it fail again, then a third party group, call memtest86 will come to the rescue to see what's wrong ... :wink:

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Peoples that advice to wait for something better have no life.. They'll spend their life waiting anyway and alway get lesser computer, as there will always be something better around the corner.
Well... if you only have enough money to upgrade every two or three years, and there's a big technological leap right around the corner, it would make sense to wait a bit more, wouldn't it? :wink:

But given that 2-week deadline, we have to go with whatever is better now.
That 3800 x2 is said to be a very good processor.
Also, that 850XT, though a bit older, but it is still a very strong card, and that's a great deal on it.
So yes, that so far is a very nice combination.

Tomer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

TRENDING THREADS