New Build this week, need some advice

nicolaslive

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

System Usage: I work with Photoshop, Rhinoceros 3D, Autocad, and at rare times render in Hypershot. I game ocassionally, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Fallout, Dota 2, no shooters.

Parts Not Required:
keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDs

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia/ATI, Full Tower

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire:
Maybe (See question)

Monitor Resolution: Extended monitors @ 1920x1200 each

Additional Comments: I am building a rig, trying hard to differentiate from needs and wants without falling prey to advertising and assumptions. I would appreciate some help. I have read a bit around and noted some good things about pairing Intel with Cuda technology on Nvidia cards for CAD/RENDER works, as well as pairing Ivy bridge processors with high Mhz ram sticks.

Below is what I have so far. I am open to suggestions (Italised items are those I already possess, and would like to carry into the new rig):

Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
Intel i5 3550 3.4ghz (not planning to overclock)
Nvidia GT580ti or better with CUDA (UPGRADE TO SLI LATER)
Kingston Hyper X 2x4GB Grey Series(1600mhz)(UPGRADE TO A TOTAL OF 16 GB LATER)
2xHD WD Green 1TB each
1xHD WD Black 500GB

1xSSD 128GB
24X DVD Writer
HAF 932 Chassis
CM Silent Pro 1000w

In addition I will be running:
2xHD External
A couple of USB devices (Mouse/Keyboard/Camera)

Questions:

1. Still unsure about the processor, looked at i73770k initially, but many reviews say the hyperthreading is not a necessary feature except for certain applications. Now I do use some of these applications, but my files are usually kept at reasonable size.

2. I am under assumption that more expensive is better... Is the Mobo overkill? Any suggestions?

3. Thermaltake Power Supply calculator suggests 912W to run this setup including upgrades (SLI etc...). I have had two graphics card fry on me before. Is 1000w enough or should I look at 1200w?

4. Is SLI a good upgrade path in the future? Or should I just pick up newer single cards, and save on power load?

RAM needs to be 1.5 volt or less or your warranty on your processor is voided

6xx nVidia cards are better and use less power
Same with Radeon 7xxx cards . Yes there is an equivalent "cuda" option with radeons and many applications

SLI is never a good upgrade path . By the time you want to add the second card there will usually be a newer generation of more powerful cards available and you are left buying old junk to upgrade

why the ssd and a hard drive and another slow hard drive? Seems unusual

nicolaslive

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Thanks for the highlights. Updated Specs based on what you mentionned and what I read also. The SSD is for the OS. Going for Single GPU, ATI.

(BOLD items are those I already possess, and would like to carry into the new rig):

Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
Intel i5 3550 3.4ghz (not planning to overclock)
ATI Radeon 7990
Corsair Vengence 4x4GB 1600 mhz (@1.5v)
2xHD WD Green 1TB each (for Storage)
1xHD WD Black 500GB
(for programs)
1xSSD 128GB (OS)
24X DVD Writer
HAF 932 Chassis
CM Silent Pro 850w

2xHD External

Is the power supply enough?

Any suggestions or comments on Mobo? Personally, I don't think I'll make use of most of the features especially now that I've decided on single GPU.

Thanks!

Power supply is more than enough, if you wanted you could drop to a 750W and still be fine, even for crossfire.

Motherboard is a bit expensive, and you missing out on the main benefit of USB3 on that case. Id go down to an AsRock Extreme4 mobo and upgrade to the HAF-X case. The AsRock board is a good gamers board, cheap and still rivals top end motherboards.

I would suggest getting an i7 if the main purpose is Editing. The i7 2700k should be fine and does give the option of overclocking (which I very much recommend).

nicolaslive

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Revised Build based on comments and price range (i7 is another $150+, I'll think about it during the weekend.) Dropped the MOBO a notch. Where I am (Singapore) Asrock going at similar prices as Gigabyte.

Thanks to all for the input. Really appreciate it. Buying Tuesday!

(BOLD items are those I already possess, and would like to carry into the new rig):

GIGABYTE Z77 D3H USB 3.0
INTEL CORE i5-3550k Processor
MSI HD7850 Twin Frozr 2GB OC
CORSAIR Vengeance 1600MHz 1 x 8GB CL8
1xSSD 128GB (OS + Programs)
CM HAF X
CM Silent Pro 850w
1xHD WD Green 1TB (for Storage)
1xHD WD Black 500GB (for Storage)
24X DVD Writer

2xHD External

Thanks!

nicolaslive

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Thanks for this tip. It seems if I get a 1600mhz, it'll default to 1333mhz at 1.5v. What I read so far is I would have to configure my voltage & RAM speed in BIOS.

nicolaslive

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Final Build:

GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H
INTEL CORE i5-3570k
CORSAIR Vengeance 1600MHz CL8 (2x4GB) @1.5V (LOW PROFILE)
MSI HD7850 Twin Frozr 2GB OC
WD 2TB Green
NZXT Phantom USB 3.0 Full Tower
SEASONIC X Series 850W
CRUCIAL SSD 128GB

Additional items already possessed:
1xHD WD Green 1TB (for Storage)
1xHD WD Black 500GB (for Storage)
24X DVD Writer