Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build this week, need some advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 23, 2012 5:32:01 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

System Usage: I work with Photoshop, Rhinoceros 3D, Autocad, and at rare times render in Hypershot. I game ocassionally, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Fallout, Dota 2, no shooters.

Parts Not Required:
keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDs

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia/ATI, Full Tower

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire:
Maybe (See question)

Monitor Resolution: Extended monitors @ 1920x1200 each

Additional Comments: I am building a rig, trying hard to differentiate from needs and wants without falling prey to advertising and assumptions. I would appreciate some help. I have read a bit around and noted some good things about pairing Intel with Cuda technology on Nvidia cards for CAD/RENDER works, as well as pairing Ivy bridge processors with high Mhz ram sticks.

Below is what I have so far. I am open to suggestions (Italised items are those I already possess, and would like to carry into the new rig):

Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
Intel i5 3550 3.4ghz (not planning to overclock)
Nvidia GT580ti or better with CUDA (UPGRADE TO SLI LATER)
Kingston Hyper X 2x4GB Grey Series(1600mhz)(UPGRADE TO A TOTAL OF 16 GB LATER)
2xHD WD Green 1TB each
1xHD WD Black 500GB

1xSSD 128GB
24X DVD Writer
HAF 932 Chassis
CM Silent Pro 1000w

In addition I will be running:
2xHD External
A couple of USB devices (Mouse/Keyboard/Camera)

Questions:


1. Still unsure about the processor, looked at i73770k initially, but many reviews say the hyperthreading is not a necessary feature except for certain applications. Now I do use some of these applications, but my files are usually kept at reasonable size.

2. I am under assumption that more expensive is better... Is the Mobo overkill? Any suggestions?

3. Thermaltake Power Supply calculator suggests 912W to run this setup including upgrades (SLI etc...). I have had two graphics card fry on me before. Is 1000w enough or should I look at 1200w?

4. Is SLI a good upgrade path in the future? Or should I just pick up newer single cards, and save on power load?


More about : build week advice

May 23, 2012 6:08:16 AM

RAM needs to be 1.5 volt or less or your warranty on your processor is voided

6xx nVidia cards are better and use less power
Same with Radeon 7xxx cards . Yes there is an equivalent "cuda" option with radeons and many applications

SLI is never a good upgrade path . By the time you want to add the second card there will usually be a newer generation of more powerful cards available and you are left buying old junk to upgrade

why the ssd and a hard drive and another slow hard drive? Seems unusual
May 24, 2012 3:29:27 AM

Thanks for the highlights. Updated Specs based on what you mentionned and what I read also. The SSD is for the OS. Going for Single GPU, ATI.

(BOLD items are those I already possess, and would like to carry into the new rig):

Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
Intel i5 3550 3.4ghz (not planning to overclock)
ATI Radeon 7990
Corsair Vengence 4x4GB 1600 mhz (@1.5v)
2xHD WD Green 1TB each (for Storage)
1xHD WD Black 500GB
(for programs)
1xSSD 128GB (OS)
24X DVD Writer
HAF 932 Chassis
CM Silent Pro 850w

In addition I will be running:
2xHD External
A couple of USB devices (Mouse/Keyboard/Camera)


Is the power supply enough?

Any suggestions or comments on Mobo? Personally, I don't think I'll make use of most of the features especially now that I've decided on single GPU.

Thanks!
Related resources
May 24, 2012 1:11:22 PM

Power supply is more than enough, if you wanted you could drop to a 750W and still be fine, even for crossfire.

Motherboard is a bit expensive, and you missing out on the main benefit of USB3 on that case. Id go down to an AsRock Extreme4 mobo and upgrade to the HAF-X case. The AsRock board is a good gamers board, cheap and still rivals top end motherboards.

I would suggest getting an i7 if the main purpose is Editing. The i7 2700k should be fine and does give the option of overclocking (which I very much recommend).
May 24, 2012 8:50:33 PM

Just use the SSD for programs... Get one HDD for storage.
May 26, 2012 10:20:35 AM

manofchalk said:
Power supply is more than enough, if you wanted you could drop to a 750W and still be fine, even for crossfire.

Motherboard is a bit expensive, and you missing out on the main benefit of USB3 on that case. Id go down to an AsRock Extreme4 mobo and upgrade to the HAF-X case. The AsRock board is a good gamers board, cheap and still rivals top end motherboards.

I would suggest getting an i7 if the main purpose is Editing. The i7 2700k should be fine and does give the option of overclocking (which I very much recommend).


Revised Build based on comments and price range (i7 is another $150+, I'll think about it during the weekend.) Dropped the MOBO a notch. Where I am (Singapore) Asrock going at similar prices as Gigabyte.

Thanks to all for the input. Really appreciate it. Buying Tuesday!


(BOLD items are those I already possess, and would like to carry into the new rig):

GIGABYTE Z77 D3H USB 3.0
INTEL CORE i5-3550k Processor
MSI HD7850 Twin Frozr 2GB OC
CORSAIR Vengeance 1600MHz 1 x 8GB CL8
1xSSD 128GB (OS + Programs)
CM HAF X
CM Silent Pro 850w
1xHD WD Green 1TB (for Storage)
1xHD WD Black 500GB (for Storage)
24X DVD Writer


In addition I will be running:
2xHD External
A couple of USB devices (Mouse/Keyboard/Camera)

Thanks!
May 26, 2012 10:21:58 AM

azeem40 said:
Just use the SSD for programs... Get one HDD for storage.


thanks for the tip!
May 26, 2012 10:24:04 AM

Outlander_04 said:
RAM needs to be 1.5 volt or less or your warranty on your processor is voided

6xx nVidia cards are better and use less power
Same with Radeon 7xxx cards . Yes there is an equivalent "cuda" option with radeons and many applications

SLI is never a good upgrade path . By the time you want to add the second card there will usually be a newer generation of more powerful cards available and you are left buying old junk to upgrade

why the ssd and a hard drive and another slow hard drive? Seems unusual


Thanks for this tip. It seems if I get a 1600mhz, it'll default to 1333mhz at 1.5v. What I read so far is I would have to configure my voltage & RAM speed in BIOS.
May 27, 2012 1:23:06 PM

Any suggestions for RAM at 1.5v stock?

Reading confusing reviews all over the web especially on the Kingston HyperX Special Edition Sandy Bridge 1600MHz.

May 27, 2012 2:54:45 PM

Final Build:

GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H
INTEL CORE i5-3570k
CORSAIR Vengeance 1600MHz CL8 (2x4GB) @1.5V (LOW PROFILE)
MSI HD7850 Twin Frozr 2GB OC
WD 2TB Green
NZXT Phantom USB 3.0 Full Tower
SEASONIC X Series 850W
CRUCIAL SSD 128GB

Additional items already possessed:
1xHD WD Green 1TB (for Storage)
1xHD WD Black 500GB (for Storage)
24X DVD Writer

!