Sign in with
Your question

Temp. and CoreVoltage Fluctuation, Random Restarts

Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2012 4:39:48 PM

Hello, well recently after I added a new PSU and SSD, I have been getting a problem, cpu idles at 45 in bios. I did P95 test for 5min temps went to 59 core temp and then when my Core Volt dropped to 0.94, my core temps dropped to 40 while still running p95, then it climbs again. Even with only an anti virus running my temps went to like 55 core temp. My computer also restarts randomly with no warning, even at idle, i un ticked automatically restart in startup and recovery, it still restarts for no reason occasionally, every few days i say.

AMD FX 8120 STOCK COOLER
COOLER MASTER 550W GX PSU.
ASUS M5A78L-M USB 3 MOBO
SSD
HDD

Please help.
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2012 9:00:48 PM

There's a couple of thoughts that come to mind...

1. CPUs have a throttling function built into them for overheating protection. Using Prime95 puts a heavy load on the CPU, which causes it to heat up rather quickly. When activated (and default is Auto on in the BIOS), your CPU vCore will fluctuate.

2. Because you're using an OEM CPU fan, it may not be moving enough air to keep your CPU cool during the P95 testing. So, although you disabled the Restart when Windows Crashes option, that won't prevent your CPU from shutting down/restarting to protect itself from overheating.
September 13, 2012 9:06:47 PM

Just happened again, turned on from standby, went into game, played 10seconds RANDOM RESTART AGAIN. After restart I went straight into bios and cpu temp was at 54. Any ideas?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2012 5:05:41 PM

54°C is nothing to be concerned with. If you want to know what your CPU temps are while using Windows (and anything installed on it), download and install HWMonitor .

Has your system crashed while running P95? If so, search for a file called "stress.txt".

Also, have you tried testing your RAM with MemTest86+?
September 14, 2012 8:23:17 PM

My pc has not crashed during P95, I tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, no errors. Isnt memtest like a boot up disc thingy?
September 15, 2012 7:30:09 PM

Just played Age of empires3 for like 20min, it automatically restarted the pc, cpu temp was 48 straight after the restart
a c 122 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 7:43:38 PM

48C is inconsequential.

Random rebooting with absolutely no apparent reason is most often caused by poor/failing/faulty PSU. Try a different PSU if you have a known-good spare of sufficient wattage you can swap in.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 7:53:21 PM

Invalid Error already beat me to it, since the problems started after you installed new components you need to start from there. Start at the PSU swap out with another unit - Cooler Master GX PSU's are mediocre at best and often hit or miss on if it's going to work or not.
September 15, 2012 7:57:56 PM

I ran P95 for 15min finished 5 tests, temp went to 56 on all cores then dropped to 40 and went to 1.4ghz then back up again in temps and clock speed. The only things I swapped out was the PSU and added an ssd, i dont think its the ssd, I have a warranty with the psu
September 15, 2012 7:58:53 PM

My computer was on all day no restart today, as soon as i started a game for 20min it restarted. why is it only moslty happening during games not tests
a c 122 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 8:01:48 PM

Likely because your PSU is unable to provide stable power when both your GPU and CPU are under load at the same time.
September 15, 2012 8:15:09 PM

I still have my old PSU No Brand 500w with this same build without the ssd and worked perfectly, I guess better brands = worse parts. I really dont want to start sending my psu off to cooler master then alll the stuff.
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2012 8:37:32 PM

astrais said:
I still have my old PSU No Brand 500w with this same build without the ssd and worked perfectly, I guess better brands = worse parts. I really dont want to start sending my psu off to cooler master then alll the stuff.

Well Cooler Master is known for good products but unfortunately not in the PSU segment.
a c 122 à CPUs
September 15, 2012 8:56:26 PM

astrais said:

CM is actually one of the worst well-known brands out there for PSUs.

Some of the best brands are Seasonic, Rosewill and Silverstone. Many companies like Antec, XFX, Corsair, etc. re-brand those to sell as their own. Other less popular OEMs also make good models like FSP's Aurum series.

CM is a mixed bag PSU-wise.
September 16, 2012 10:43:44 AM

I played gta sa yesterday for like a few hours and it didnt shut down, are you sure its the PSU?
September 16, 2012 10:44:16 AM

Also, my power settings keep getting put on balanced after every shut down/ restart that I do
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2012 8:31:47 PM

If by "power settings" you mean your BIOS, then your CMOS battery could be failing. Motherboards rely on the CR2032 battery to hold the settings in the BIOS.

Question: Do you adjust your BIOS settings each time you turn on your computer? If not, configure your settings to what would be optimal for your gaming sessions. Then see what happens when you play your game(s).

I believe InvalidError is on to something here. Your power supply may not be enough for demand. Download and install FurMark.
Use it to stress test your GPU.

And by the way MemTest86+ is a far better memory tester than Windows Memory Diagnostic, and yes, you test your RAM outside of the Operating System. This ensures there are no software conflicts.
September 20, 2012 4:31:46 PM

All of a sudden the restarts stopped, I guess I havent been playing games that often now, btw by power settings I meant the power options in windows like balanced power saver, high performence. I will still try the gpu test
September 20, 2012 6:27:02 PM

3D Mark vantage created a lot of heat all of my 8 cores in hwmonitor were max at 73 degrees celcius, and tpino0 and 1 are max at 67
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 6:51:32 PM

Did your system crash during the testing of the GPU?
September 20, 2012 8:06:34 PM

Nope not at all
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 8:50:59 PM

If your system was stable during P95 and FurMark, then I suspect your RAM has some errors in it. Have you tried using MemTest86+ yet?
September 20, 2012 9:07:12 PM

Alright I will try memtest, but I dont understand what does my high cpu temps have to do with my memory? And do i just boot from disc/usb with memtest on it
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2012 5:28:56 PM

Yes, you boot from USB or disc. Testing your RAM is related to your random crashing. CPU and GPU tests were good, but your RAM may be the problem. You should know that MT86+ needs to run for quite some time to be thorough, so run the test before you leave your house for the day. All you have to do is put the bootable media in and turn on your system, the software will automatically begin testing.

Your CPU temps are within tolerable levels. However, if you're still concerned with the temps, try using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. Be sure to completely remove all traces of your old paste, prior to applying AS5.
September 21, 2012 9:52:27 PM

I built the whole system apart from mobo, cpu and ram. I bought that as a pre assembled pack and was much cheaper.
September 22, 2012 1:41:06 PM

Just had another problem, it only happens when I try to run CS GO, it just crashed pc and loaded from boot screen, and another time it gave me bsod about clock something
September 22, 2012 2:11:50 PM

alright it seems that all fx processors have crashed while running cs go in steam its a huge thread
September 23, 2012 10:01:01 AM

should I get a new cpu cooler or what? and how long is memtest gonna take?
a c 122 à CPUs
September 23, 2012 10:56:00 AM

astrais said:
should I get a new cpu cooler or what? and how long is memtest gonna take?

Memtest will run as long as you will let it. Ideally, you want to let it complete a couple of passes to increase the chances of finding weak bits that may not show up on every scan.
September 23, 2012 3:32:10 PM

I ran memtest for 1 pass and no errors. my restarts have stopped havent happened in long while. Only thing is the cpu temp, my vcore fluctuates with asus epu engine on high perforemence and my temp fluctuates too. But on power saver temps went down to 22. no vcore fluctuation. Right now I have it on auto. So guys, Should I just get a new cpu cooler? Or is the PSU Faulty?
September 24, 2012 4:35:32 PM

I oredered the Artic Cooler freezer 7 pro rev 11
September 25, 2012 3:51:27 PM

just had another random restart whille playing like 5min in tf2, then after it restarted i played 1 hr with no restart. WHAT IS GOING ON!!!1
a c 122 à CPUs
September 25, 2012 4:38:35 PM

astrais said:
just had another random restart whille playing like 5min in tf2, then after it restarted i played 1 hr with no restart. WHAT IS GOING ON!!!1

Random restart on a computer that is otherwise capable of running for hours under full-load is usually caused by a poor PSU.

Most CoolerMaster PSUs are considered sub-par.

While CM is praised for their inexpensive but high-performance HSF and good cases, their PSUs are a completely different story with CM getting a thorough bashing on a regular basis for sub-par or outright crappy performance which prompted some people around here to call them "CrapperMaster" as far as PSUs are concerned.

In PSU reviews, CM PSUs often fail to deliver more than 70% of their claimed output rating and this is on fresh out-of-box units. Add a few months/years of aging and it likely gets much worse.

I have owned and repaired many cheap 300-350W PSUs and those did fail to power my 100-120W systems after about three years. Pretty sad how far companies will cut corner to save less than $1 off the bill of materials. With better output caps that would cost only a few extra pennies each than under-sized junky caps, many of those crappy PSUs could last 5-10 years. One of those I repaired and am still using today is 14 years old with 100 000+ power-on hours behind it to date.
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2012 6:06:10 PM

astrais said:
Just had another problem, it only happens when I try to run CS GO, it just crashed pc and loaded from boot screen, and another time it gave me bsod about clock something

Considering you're using a stock CPU cooler, I doubt you're overclocking your CPU, but what about your RAM-What is it set at?

BSOD with a "clock" reference suggests something is amiss.

Also, I agree with IE, in that CM PSUs are bad; nearly as bad as PSUs that are sold with cases.

September 26, 2012 3:30:45 PM

Nope im not overclocking, i used asus turbo key, for like a min. in cpuz my memory is dual channel, 2210 mhz nb frequency. DRAM Frequency is 669.9 mhz fluctuating a bit. Any ideas? I ordered the new cooler.
September 26, 2012 3:31:45 PM

I have curical memory 2x2
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2012 5:45:46 PM

astrais said:
DRAM Frequency is 669.9 mhz fluctuating a bit. Any ideas?

This suggests that your RAM is set on Auto. Get into your BIOS and manually set your RAM to the specs shown on the sticker affixed to the side of each of your modules. This should bring you stability. When the RAM settings are on Auto, the motherboard can, and will, adjust speed, timing, and voltage as it sees fit.
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2012 6:46:15 PM

Sounds like the PSU, especially if the voltage is not stable.
September 27, 2012 4:21:02 PM

I got my new cooler today, I will set it up and check the ram clock too, and see how it goes.
September 29, 2012 12:58:34 PM

Set up the cooler after 1hr of arctics crap mounting system. Anyways my temps are at 15 degrees C at idle, i will run some games and then tell you.
September 29, 2012 1:00:33 PM

I have a problem though, my old fan used to go to like 3500rpm or something and this ones max is like 2500rpm, when I try to boot into windows sometimes my mobo says CPU FAN Error, i just hit f1 and it continues with the boot.
September 29, 2012 1:20:31 PM

I played like 15min of crysis2 and my max core temps were 60
a c 122 à CPUs
September 29, 2012 1:25:24 PM

astrais said:
I have a problem though, my old fan used to go to like 3500rpm or something and this ones max is like 2500rpm, when I try to boot into windows sometimes my mobo says CPU FAN Error, i just hit f1 and it continues with the boot.

Check your BIOS to see if you can set the warning threshold lower. 2500RPM seems awfully high for a boot warning/error threshold.

HSFs using 120mm fans often run at less than 1000RPM at boot. It would be quite inconvenient if thresholds were hard-coded. Worst case, you can disable CPU fan check in the BIOS.
September 29, 2012 2:08:22 PM

Q1. Is 60c high for 20min for Crysis2?
Q2. How do I fix CPU FAN Error(invalid i will try your method)
Q3. If random restarts still happen what do I do?
Q4. Sometimes when I shutdown my computer, windows will shut down but my system is still powered on, all fans working, leds etc. Then i have to hard shut down it and when I start it up again it wont even post, stuck on black screen. So to fix that I have to switch off PSU then on again. Any way to fix this?
a c 122 à CPUs
September 29, 2012 2:31:01 PM

1. 60C core temperature (core0/1/2/3 temperature) is fine. The TJmax for AMD CPUs is somewhere in the neighborhood of 90-95C.
3. If you are still using the same not-100%-known-good PSU(s) as before, try finding one of the known-good models from known-good international brands. (ex.: Antec EarthWatt 650 which is designed by Seasonic) If you still have the same problems with that then we can definitely rule out PSU as a probable cause.
4. I have an external USB-to-PS2 adapter that prevents my PC from completely shutting down while it is plugged in. Maybe you have an USB device that is doing the same.
September 29, 2012 3:38:53 PM

I do have a load of USB Devices. There are 2 usb devices that I have in which the power led stays on even when the pc is off those are my usb eyetoy camerea(its not the problem, as I had the same problem before adding this device) and my USB 3 1TB EXTERNAL HDD TOSHIBA.
September 29, 2012 7:08:51 PM

Just had another random restart after installation of new cpu cooler, so CPU TEMP is not the problem. I am pretty sure PSU is causing this.
September 29, 2012 7:15:27 PM

BTW guys I am thinking of ordering this Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply to fix my problems is it good?
October 1, 2012 9:03:04 PM

Thinking on getting GS 600
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 7:00:06 PM

The Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK is decent, but not something I would buy.
Pros: Dedicated single +12v rail, sleeved cables, long cables, plethora of interface connections
Cons: Not modular, +12v rail max output is 40A, no certification (80+ or better),

I'd be quite concerned about the reliability of a company that puts out wrong/misleading information about their products. Check out their spec sheet on their builder series PSUs
here .

If you were to simply 'go with' the numbers they have on this sheet, you think that the 500 is better than the 600, but you'd be wrong. The 500 doesn't have a max load of 56A. But, apparently, they'd have you believe that just because you're reading English, the PSU can handle an extra 12A.

In my opinion the GS600 > the CX600
!