Temp. and CoreVoltage Fluctuation, Random Restarts

astrais

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hello, well recently after I added a new PSU and SSD, I have been getting a problem, cpu idles at 45 in bios. I did P95 test for 5min temps went to 59 core temp and then when my Core Volt dropped to 0.94, my core temps dropped to 40 while still running p95, then it climbs again. Even with only an anti virus running my temps went to like 55 core temp. My computer also restarts randomly with no warning, even at idle, i un ticked automatically restart in startup and recovery, it still restarts for no reason occasionally, every few days i say.

AMD FX 8120 STOCK COOLER
COOLER MASTER 550W GX PSU.
ASUS M5A78L-M USB 3 MOBO
SSD
HDD

Please help.

There's a couple of thoughts that come to mind...

1. CPUs have a throttling function built into them for overheating protection. Using Prime95 puts a heavy load on the CPU, which causes it to heat up rather quickly. When activated (and default is Auto on in the BIOS), your CPU vCore will fluctuate.

2. Because you're using an OEM CPU fan, it may not be moving enough air to keep your CPU cool during the P95 testing. So, although you disabled the Restart when Windows Crashes option, that won't prevent your CPU from shutting down/restarting to protect itself from overheating.

astrais

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Just happened again, turned on from standby, went into game, played 10seconds RANDOM RESTART AGAIN. After restart I went straight into bios and cpu temp was at 54. Any ideas?

54°C is nothing to be concerned with. If you want to know what your CPU temps are while using Windows (and anything installed on it), download and install HWMonitor .

Has your system crashed while running P95? If so, search for a file called "stress.txt".

Also, have you tried testing your RAM with MemTest86+?

InvalidError

Titan
48C is inconsequential.

Random rebooting with absolutely no apparent reason is most often caused by poor/failing/faulty PSU. Try a different PSU if you have a known-good spare of sufficient wattage you can swap in.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Invalid Error already beat me to it, since the problems started after you installed new components you need to start from there. Start at the PSU swap out with another unit - Cooler Master GX PSU's are mediocre at best and often hit or miss on if it's going to work or not.

astrais

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I ran P95 for 15min finished 5 tests, temp went to 56 on all cores then dropped to 40 and went to 1.4ghz then back up again in temps and clock speed. The only things I swapped out was the PSU and added an ssd, i dont think its the ssd, I have a warranty with the psu

astrais

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
My computer was on all day no restart today, as soon as i started a game for 20min it restarted. why is it only moslty happening during games not tests

astrais

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I still have my old PSU No Brand 500w with this same build without the ssd and worked perfectly, I guess better brands = worse parts. I really dont want to start sending my psu off to cooler master then alll the stuff.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Well Cooler Master is known for good products but unfortunately not in the PSU segment.

InvalidError

Titan

CM is actually one of the worst well-known brands out there for PSUs.

Some of the best brands are Seasonic, Rosewill and Silverstone. Many companies like Antec, XFX, Corsair, etc. re-brand those to sell as their own. Other less popular OEMs also make good models like FSP's Aurum series.

CM is a mixed bag PSU-wise.

If by "power settings" you mean your BIOS, then your CMOS battery could be failing. Motherboards rely on the CR2032 battery to hold the settings in the BIOS.

Question: Do you adjust your BIOS settings each time you turn on your computer? If not, configure your settings to what would be optimal for your gaming sessions. Then see what happens when you play your game(s).

I believe InvalidError is on to something here. Your power supply may not be enough for demand. Download and install FurMark.
Use it to stress test your GPU.

And by the way MemTest86+ is a far better memory tester than Windows Memory Diagnostic, and yes, you test your RAM outside of the Operating System. This ensures there are no software conflicts.

astrais

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
All of a sudden the restarts stopped, I guess I havent been playing games that often now, btw by power settings I meant the power options in windows like balanced power saver, high performence. I will still try the gpu test

astrais

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
3D Mark vantage created a lot of heat all of my 8 cores in hwmonitor were max at 73 degrees celcius, and tpino0 and 1 are max at 67

astrais

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Alright I will try memtest, but I dont understand what does my high cpu temps have to do with my memory? And do i just boot from disc/usb with memtest on it

Yes, you boot from USB or disc. Testing your RAM is related to your random crashing. CPU and GPU tests were good, but your RAM may be the problem. You should know that MT86+ needs to run for quite some time to be thorough, so run the test before you leave your house for the day. All you have to do is put the bootable media in and turn on your system, the software will automatically begin testing.

Your CPU temps are within tolerable levels. However, if you're still concerned with the temps, try using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. Be sure to completely remove all traces of your old paste, prior to applying AS5.