Upgrade MB or CPU (Core 2 duo currently)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannakatana

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I have probably the slowest core 2 duo. I want to upgrade but don't want to replace MB, memory, etc. to move to the newer processors but I will if it's recommended.

I don't game much other than World of Warcraft but I do have a bunch of HD home videos to process using Sony Vegas and currently it's slow. I know it will probably be slow with any setup but I have no idea what the bump would be with a newer setup. Is it worth the money in other words. I also watch a lot of videos, DVD, Netflix, YouTube, if that makes a difference.

I have an SSD drive already with the OS on it and will be getting a bigger one to put both OS and programs. I wonder if using the older smaller one for a video work area is possible or the windows swap area.

So, get a Q9650 or just scrap everything and start over?

Thanks!

Joel

Solution
If you're running Sony Vegas and doing a lot of HD video work, an i7 is gonna be a quite a bit better then the i3.
The Hyper Threaded Quad Cores do make quite a difference in heavily thread applications. If you have a Microcenter near you, go in and buy it in store, the i7 2700K is only $229, which quite a deal. Usually you get an additional discount if you buy the motherboard with CPU from Microcenter as well.

As for Socket LGA 1155 motherboards, the ASRock Extreme4 is tremendous value and quality at $130.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
scrap everything and start over. intel Q's are already obsolete, and cannot be found in any pc shop shelf.. this is the era of new Ivy Bridge processors from intel called i3, i5, i7 variant..

probably i will recommend you to buy an i3 3220 and a b75 motherboard...it will be quite well doing your needs

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
If you're running Sony Vegas and doing a lot of HD video work, an i7 is gonna be a quite a bit better then the i3.
The Hyper Threaded Quad Cores do make quite a difference in heavily thread applications. If you have a Microcenter near you, go in and buy it in store, the i7 2700K is only $229, which quite a deal. Usually you get an additional discount if you buy the motherboard with CPU from Microcenter as well.

As for Socket LGA 1155 motherboards, the ASRock Extreme4 is tremendous value and quality at $130.

Solution

wannakatana

Distinguished
May 13, 2011

Correct about the price at microcenter, much cheaper than other places. This cpu has integrated graphics if I understand correctly? Sorry I'm not up on the latest processors. Can I still use my external video card and does this affect your answer at all? Or is it just the processor that makes the difference when working with video regardless of on chip or external video card?

G

If you run a discrete graphics card, then the integrated graphics on the intel chips gets turned off.

With the latest 2nd and 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors and current chipsets it is possible to use both the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) and a dedicated video card at the same time. Lets say that you have an Intel Core i5-3550 and a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 put a video card like the EVGA GTX 660 ti and run two displays off that and then another off the video ports on the board. This will allow you to run 3 displays.

InvalidError

Titan

All Intel LGA1155 CPUs from Celeron to i7 have IGP. All future mainstream Intel CPUs are also expected to include IGPs.

Obviously, disabling the IGP is always an option but if more software starts using OpenCL, having an IGP may become a substantial advantage even when using an add-in-board GPU.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Fake.
i5-3350P, i7-3930K, i7-3820, i5-2550K, i5-2450P, i5-2380P doesn't have IGP. (I'm ignoring all the first core i3, i5 and i7 generation)

InvalidError

Titan

The 3930 and 3820 are LGA2011, not LGA1155.

As for the other CPUs, fine, I was wrong (not 'fake') but those CPUs are so uncommon that they might just as well not exist. The IGP is still physically present in those chips, only disabled.

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

I take issue with that. ASRock is very solid. I'd take a ASRock board over most Gigabyte boards...

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Flimsy lightweight frisbee crap. It always was and always will be budget rubbish like Biostar or Foxconn. Does it have decent copper layers? No. Is ATX even full ATX? No. Is performance up to scratch? No.

InvalidError

Titan

How many people need full-ATX these days? Tons of people are buying computers with IGP graphics and no add-in cards whatsoever. It would even be possible to have SLI/CFX on a micro-ATX board with one slot for something else by having a x4 x8 x1 x8 slot configuration.

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Actually it does have decent copper layers, performance is on par with other Z77 motherboards, and ASRock makes boards from M-ATX to E-ATX. Any other misinformation you'd care to share?

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

A lot of its ATX boards are cut down to not full ATX and its too light to have any decent copper layers period. A trash brand.

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Cut down? Are you kidding? They sell full sized boards. The Z77 Extreme4 is one. Have you ever actually used an ASRock board? I've used an X58 Extreme and Z68 Extreme and they both are still kicking, working great, maintaining solid OC's and are full sized ATX.

Status
Not open for further replies.