$100 For A HDD? I Hope You Enjoying Remaining In 2nd Place..

Last response: in Video Games
August 17, 2005 12:58:53 PM

....because with this moronic pricing, you have zero chance to catch
Sony this coming generation.

After all the in-roads MS made this generation in regards to being
customer orientated and offering the most bang for the buck, they wiped
it completely away with one fell swoop.

If $60 games weren't bad enough, now we got $100 HDD. Oh yeah, well
technically I guess you get more than a HDD for you're $100 but it's a
20GB HDD for pete's sake, how much do they cost? $20?

Oooh wait, we get a headset....which most of us interested in XBL
already have. And HD cables....which most of us interested in HDTV
already have. I'm curious, does that mean MS won't be following in Sony
and Nintendo's footsteps by making their existing audio/video cables
compatible with new systems?

I was able to use my old PSX cables with my PS2, and I was able to use
my old N64 cables with my GC, but is MS saying I won't be able to use
my Xbox HD cables with my Xbox 360? Nice move MS.

I guess they were tired of taking a hit on the hardware side, so now
they plan to pass the cost onto us and gouge the consumer. Oh well, I
guess I shouldn't be surprised I mean this is Microsoft we are talking
about.

Looks like they were really just a wolf in sheep's clothing all this
time with the Xbox.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:06:17 PM

I know you love your little GameCube, but a question: where's it's hard
drive?

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:11:22 PM

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> I know you love your little GameCube, but a question: where's it's hard
> drive?

You're dumb.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:51:25 PM

Robert P Holley schrieb:

> ...because with this moronic pricing, you have zero chance to catch
> Sony this coming generation.
>
> After all the in-roads MS made this generation in regards to being
> customer orientated and offering the most bang for the buck, they wiped
> it completely away with one fell swoop.
>
> If $60 games weren't bad enough, now we got $100 HDD. Oh yeah, well
> technically I guess you get more than a HDD for you're $100 but it's a
> 20GB HDD for pete's sake, how much do they cost? $20?
>
> Oooh wait, we get a headset....which most of us interested in XBL
> already have. And HD cables....which most of us interested in HDTV
> already have. I'm curious, does that mean MS won't be following in Sony
> and Nintendo's footsteps by making their existing audio/video cables
> compatible with new systems?
>
> I was able to use my old PSX cables with my PS2, and I was able to use
> my old N64 cables with my GC, but is MS saying I won't be able to use
> my Xbox HD cables with my Xbox 360? Nice move MS.
>
> I guess they were tired of taking a hit on the hardware side, so now
> they plan to pass the cost onto us and gouge the consumer. Oh well, I
> guess I shouldn't be surprised I mean this is Microsoft we are talking
> about.
>
> Looks like they were really just a wolf in sheep's clothing all this
> time with the Xbox.

There is actually a significant amount of stuff that comes for the $100
more - the HDD and the HD cable being the most expensive. Harddrives
don't change prices linearly by capacity, as you may have noticed. A
36GB HDD on newegg.com is $111.00 and up while a 40GB is only $50 (it
has slower RPM, but both are serial ATA).

Just yesterday I saw a third party high-end quality HD cable for the
Xbox for $60. Granted you can probably find it cheaper online, I don't
think the $100 is unjustified.

Whether or not we can reuse the current cable isn't even worth
discussing, since I don't think any info on that has been released.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:43:34 PM

Doug Jacobs schrieb:
> It's still silly of Microsoft to be using a 20GB drive in the xbox360. I
> could see if they were buying cheaper 60GB drives that had been
> partitioned with 20GB of usable space, and the other 40GB to be used in
> case bad sectors develop on the drive, but a 60GB disk shouldn't cost
> $100. Especially since I doubt that the 360 is using SATA.

Very much agreed, though I must say that on my Xbox I still haven't
reached the point where it drops below 50,000+ blocks free...whatever
that translates to. I don't see the Xbox as a media center, I take my
PC over that any day, so from my standpoint to use it as a sole gaming
machine I could care less if the drive is 5, 10, 100 GB. But as you
said, it's kind of on the low side as far as percieved features.

> Let me guess - it was Monster Cable's kit, right? I bought Microsoft's
> official HD cable kit for the Xbox for $15. I doubt that Monster's kit is
> any better - and might even give you lower quality signal-wise than
> Microsoft's. Now if we're talking something like HDMI, then sure, I could
> see $40-60 for the cable. But a simple set of component video cables and
> an optical audio cable? Shouldn't be more than $30 tops. Seriously.

Actually I have no clue, I can't remember. It probably was Monster
Cables, since they are always most expensive. On the other hand, a good
cable can make a heck of a difference and there are quite a few
differences between good and bad cables, most notibly shielding and
conductive material, which directly translates to quality. The rule of
thumb is to make sure you got no bottleneck, hence a super-duper cable
won't do anything if you have bad hardware while great hardware will
underperform with a terrible cable.

However, I would be hesitant to spend $60 on any kind of cable. Just
look how overpriced network cables are since most people don't have
crimping tools or knowledge. It's almost worse.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:28:58 PM

Robert P Holley <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

> If $60 games weren't bad enough, now we got $100 HDD. Oh yeah, well
> technically I guess you get more than a HDD for you're $100 but it's a
> 20GB HDD for pete's sake, how much do they cost? $20?

Actually, making a HDD that "small", and in such small quantities could
end up costing about $100. (This assumes that the HDD is actually 20GB,
and not something like a 60GB drive that's been partitioned to look like a
20GB one.)

> Oooh wait, we get a headset....which most of us interested in XBL
> already have. And HD cables....which most of us interested in HDTV
> already have. I'm curious, does that mean MS won't be following in Sony
> and Nintendo's footsteps by making their existing audio/video cables
> compatible with new systems?

Why should they? They can make more money charging you for new cables
again and again and again...
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:35:23 PM

cjw <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is actually a significant amount of stuff that comes for the $100
> more - the HDD and the HD cable being the most expensive. Harddrives
> don't change prices linearly by capacity, as you may have noticed. A
> 36GB HDD on newegg.com is $111.00 and up while a 40GB is only $50 (it
> has slower RPM, but both are serial ATA).

It's still silly of Microsoft to be using a 20GB drive in the xbox360. I
could see if they were buying cheaper 60GB drives that had been
partitioned with 20GB of usable space, and the other 40GB to be used in
case bad sectors develop on the drive, but a 60GB disk shouldn't cost
$100. Especially since I doubt that the 360 is using SATA.

> Just yesterday I saw a third party high-end quality HD cable for the
> Xbox for $60. Granted you can probably find it cheaper online, I don't
> think the $100 is unjustified.

Let me guess - it was Monster Cable's kit, right? I bought Microsoft's
official HD cable kit for the Xbox for $15. I doubt that Monster's kit is
any better - and might even give you lower quality signal-wise than
Microsoft's. Now if we're talking something like HDMI, then sure, I could
see $40-60 for the cable. But a simple set of component video cables and
an optical audio cable? Shouldn't be more than $30 tops. Seriously.
August 17, 2005 10:41:30 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>> I know you love your little GameCube, but a question: where's it's hard
>> drive?
>
> You're dumb.

This coming from the guy that just had the heart attack over two different
Xbox 360 SKUs?
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:36:15 PM

Perfect wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Jonah Falcon wrote:
> >> I know you love your little GameCube, but a question: where's it's hard
> >> drive?
> >
> > You're dumb.
>

> This coming from the guy that just had the heart attack over two different
> Xbox 360 SKUs?

I called him dumb because he should know I've been one of the most
vocal Xbox proponents on this group. I felt the Xbox was the best
value and the best system this generation and he's making retarded
remarks about my Gamecube?
August 18, 2005 12:42:07 AM

> ...because with this moronic pricing, you have zero chance to catch
> Sony this coming generation.
>
> After all the in-roads MS made this generation in regards to being
> customer orientated and offering the most bang for the buck, they wiped
> it completely away with one fell swoop.
>
> If $60 games weren't bad enough, now we got $100 HDD. Oh yeah, well
> technically I guess you get more than a HDD for you're $100 but it's a
> 20GB HDD for pete's sake, how much do they cost? $20?
>
> Oooh wait, we get a headset....which most of us interested in XBL
> already have. And HD cables....which most of us interested in HDTV
> already have. I'm curious, does that mean MS won't be following in Sony
> and Nintendo's footsteps by making their existing audio/video cables
> compatible with new systems?
>
> I was able to use my old PSX cables with my PS2, and I was able to use
> my old N64 cables with my GC, but is MS saying I won't be able to use
> my Xbox HD cables with my Xbox 360? Nice move MS.
>
> I guess they were tired of taking a hit on the hardware side, so now
> they plan to pass the cost onto us and gouge the consumer. Oh well, I
> guess I shouldn't be surprised I mean this is Microsoft we are talking
> about.
>
> Looks like they were really just a wolf in sheep's clothing all this
> time with the Xbox.

Well i never thought i would admit this, but this is a sad day for the 360.
I am slowly losing my faith. The standard advantages the Xbox once had are
quickly dimenishing.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:44:32 AM

cjw <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Doug Jacobs schrieb:

> > Let me guess - it was Monster Cable's kit, right? I bought Microsoft's
> > official HD cable kit for the Xbox for $15. I doubt that Monster's kit is
> > any better - and might even give you lower quality signal-wise than
> > Microsoft's. Now if we're talking something like HDMI, then sure, I could
> > see $40-60 for the cable. But a simple set of component video cables and
> > an optical audio cable? Shouldn't be more than $30 tops. Seriously.

> Actually I have no clue, I can't remember. It probably was Monster
> Cables, since they are always most expensive. On the other hand, a good
> cable can make a heck of a difference and there are quite a few
> differences between good and bad cables, most notibly shielding and
> conductive material, which directly translates to quality. The rule of
> thumb is to make sure you got no bottleneck, hence a super-duper cable
> won't do anything if you have bad hardware while great hardware will
> underperform with a terrible cable.

While good cables will make a difference, there's no reason to spend tons
of money on them. Monster is just flatout overpriced. You can get better
quality cables for less money. After all, we're not talking about long
distances here...

> However, I would be hesitant to spend $60 on any kind of cable. Just
> look how overpriced network cables are since most people don't have
> crimping tools or knowledge. It's almost worse.

If you are serious about home theater, then you should know when it really
would make sense to spend $60 (or more) on a cable - and WHY that cable is
worth that much money. As a bonus, you'll also know why Monster Cable
cables are really just overpriced bargin basement cabling.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:14:22 AM

I cancelled my pre-order. I still like my XBox, anyway.

I wouldn't want an XBox 360 without a hard drive, and at a $400 price
point, although being able to afford it isn't the issue, it's the
principle.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:12:59 PM

RKRM wrote:

> What's next? Xbox-32X?

If Bilgecunt accommodated one-tenth of the imagination (or wit) of a
kindergartener, he would've eschewed "Xflop 1.5 Full Circle" in favor
of that little nugget of hilarity.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:13:00 PM

"Hillybilly J. Duncequeer" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
> RKRM wrote:
>
>> What's next? Xbox-32X?
>
> If Bilgecunt accommodated one-tenth of the imagination (or wit) of a
> kindergartener, he would've eschewed "Xflop 1.5 Full Circle" in favor
> of that little nugget of hilarity.

If only.....
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:58:44 AM

"Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote:
> I cancelled my pre-order. I still like my XBox, anyway.

> I wouldn't want an XBox 360 without a hard drive, and at a $400 price
> point, although being able to afford it isn't the issue, it's the
> principle.

Especially since you know by next year the price will drop, meaning the
"deluxe" version will be $300 with the "standard" version being even
cheaper - assuming it's still around.

Looking at the pricing, I think Microsoft just wants to be able to say
"We're cheaper than Sony!" but are doing it in the same way that a car
without air-conditioning is "cheaper" until you buy the upgrades - and just
about everyone will buy the upgrades...or just buy the "deluxe" model.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:58:45 AM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> "Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote:
>> I cancelled my pre-order. I still like my XBox, anyway.
>
>> I wouldn't want an XBox 360 without a hard drive, and at a $400 price
>> point, although being able to afford it isn't the issue, it's the
>> principle.
>
> Especially since you know by next year the price will drop, meaning the
> "deluxe" version will be $300 with the "standard" version being even
> cheaper - assuming it's still around.
>
> Looking at the pricing, I think Microsoft just wants to be able to say
> "We're cheaper than Sony!" but are doing it in the same way that a car
> without air-conditioning is "cheaper" until you buy the upgrades - and
> just
> about everyone will buy the upgrades...or just buy the "deluxe" model.

Well then they must not expect to sell very many if they are leaning in a
direction that tells people that it WILL be cheaper down the line.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:18:10 AM

Robert P Holley <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

> I wonder if this means that the rumored games that supposely utilized
> the HDD (Halo 3, Elder Scrolls IV) will come with a disclaimer that
> they cannot run on the Xbox 360 Core system? What a PR nightmare that
> would be.

How did Nintendo handle the whole memory/rumble pack thing? Wasn't that
required for some games on the N64? Or, did the games just run poorly
without the addon?
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:18:11 AM

In article <11gacqia8j7ad1@corp.supernews.com>,
Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>Robert P Holley <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if this means that the rumored games that supposely utilized
>> the HDD (Halo 3, Elder Scrolls IV) will come with a disclaimer that
>> they cannot run on the Xbox 360 Core system? What a PR nightmare that
>> would be.
>
>How did Nintendo handle the whole memory/rumble pack thing? Wasn't that
>required for some games on the N64? Or, did the games just run poorly
>without the addon?

I'm assuming you meant the memory expansion and not the rumble pack
since that was never required for any game.

For the N64, there were games that were enhanced by the memory pack
(Perfect Dark ran better with it, but was still able to run without it.)

Donkey Kong 64 required it, but the game came with the expansion pack.

Zelda Majora's Mask required it and had a big thing on the box saying
it was required.

I'm not sure if there were any other games that required it or even
used it. It was released near the end of the N64 lifecycle so it
didn't have too much of an impact.

I would compare it to the PS2 HDD -> a few games used it but the games
could still be played without it, the game that required it came with
it. The only difference was that for the N64, there was one game that
required it that didn't come with it (Majora's Mask).

Vin
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:40:02 AM

Robert P Holley wrote:
> I think of us all agree that the $300 core system is a fraud. It's
> just a PR gimmick so MS can say the Xbox 360 is only $300. But my
> point was this. MS had an opportunity to get a huge head start on Sony
> this generation but I think they blew it big time with a $400 launch.

They can only afford to take so much of a loss, though. Basically if
they can't make up the cost of the hardware with 4 or 5 games they will
not make money on the average console gamer, because most console
owners don't buy more than a handful of games for it.

> $400 launch systems don't have a great history, just as Sega.

$400 today isn't worth what $400 was in 1994. When you adjust for
inflation the 360 today seems like a much better deal than the Saturn
was in it's day.

Knight37
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:23:24 PM

"Vineet Gossain" <vin@xenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote in message
news:D e3e1l$17k$1@xenon.Stanford.EDU...
> In article <11gacqia8j7ad1@corp.supernews.com>,
> Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
> >Robert P Holley <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder if this means that the rumored games that supposely utilized
> >> the HDD (Halo 3, Elder Scrolls IV) will come with a disclaimer that
> >> they cannot run on the Xbox 360 Core system? What a PR nightmare that
> >> would be.
> >
> >How did Nintendo handle the whole memory/rumble pack thing? Wasn't that
> >required for some games on the N64? Or, did the games just run poorly
> >without the addon?
>
> I'm assuming you meant the memory expansion and not the rumble pack
> since that was never required for any game.
>
> For the N64, there were games that were enhanced by the memory pack
> (Perfect Dark ran better with it, but was still able to run without it.)

Actually, you could only play multiplayer PD without the memory pack, if you
wanted to play the single player campaign you had to have the mem pack
(something that was NOT advertised on the box, found out the hard way when I
rented that PoS game)

<snip>

Wurm
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:13:02 PM

knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

> They can only afford to take so much of a loss, though. Basically if
> they can't make up the cost of the hardware with 4 or 5 games they will
> not make money on the average console gamer, because most console
> owners don't buy more than a handful of games for it.

True, but I were I Microsoft, I would have tried aimming at $350 or
something. Include the HDD (MAKE IT STANDARD!) a wired controller, and Xbox
Live Silver. Leave the other stuff out - make the people pay for the extras.
Besides, that'll give the retailers more wiggle room to put together their
own packages for consumers. Then, in maybe 6 months or so, when the PS3 is
getting ready to launch, drop the price by $50, or alternatively, leave
the price at $350, and replace the standard wired controller with a
wireless one. You get the idea - have something more tangible to take
away from Sony's big day than just Halo3.

> > $400 launch systems don't have a great history, just as Sega.

> $400 today isn't worth what $400 was in 1994. When you adjust for
> inflation the 360 today seems like a much better deal than the Saturn
> was in it's day.

Doesn't change the fact that there's a big difference between $299 and
$399. $400 is going to make a lot of people pause and probably put off
buying one until they feel they've saved up the money, or will wait for it
become cheaper. Note that this doesn't just apply to the Xbox360...
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:32:25 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> skrev i meddelandet

> Perfect wrote:
>> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

>> > You're dumb.
>>

>> This coming from the guy that just had the heart attack over two
>> different
>> Xbox 360 SKUs?
>
> I called him dumb because he should know I've been one of the most
> vocal Xbox proponents on this group. I felt the Xbox was the best
> value and the best system this generation and he's making retarded
> remarks about my Gamecube?
>do you know if a game about monster trucks?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 6:59:48 PM

>Especially since you know by next year the price will drop, meaning the
>"deluxe" version will be $300 with the "standard" version being even
>cheaper - assuming it's still around.

I wonder if there will be a cheap 3rd party drive?
That would be sweet. Bite M$ in the ass.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:29:45 PM

Boody Bandit wrote:

> To be hoenst I couldn't be happier that I cancelled my system.
> For the first time in 20+ years of gaming I will most likely wait for
> the 1st price drop before purchasing a 360.

I'm curious (I'm not directing this solely at you, but making an
observation)
the PS3 will most likely cost $399. Were you planning to buy that at
release or wait until the price drops?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 9:15:25 PM

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Boody Bandit wrote:
>
>> To be hoenst I couldn't be happier that I cancelled my system.
>> For the first time in 20+ years of gaming I will most likely wait for
>> the 1st price drop before purchasing a 360.
>
> I'm curious (I'm not directing this solely at you, but making an
> observation)
> the PS3 will most likely cost $399. Were you planning to buy that at
> release or wait until the price drops?

If the PS3 is $399 and not $499 as speculated, I will for damn sure be
picking one up at release. Otherwise, price drop for me.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 1:24:29 PM

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Boody Bandit wrote:
>
> > To be hoenst I couldn't be happier that I cancelled my system.
> > For the first time in 20+ years of gaming I will most likely wait for
> > the 1st price drop before purchasing a 360.
>
> I'm curious (I'm not directing this solely at you, but making an
> observation)
> the PS3 will most likely cost $399. Were you planning to buy that at
> release or wait until the price drops?

I will purchase a PS3 @ $399 right out of the gate!
The only reason I am taking a wait and see approach with the 360 is because
of the non hard drive situation with the $299 version. What are developers
going to do? I'm not going to shell out a dime because of this half ass
dimwitted marketing scam MS is trying to pull and fool the public with until
I know how it's going to pan out. If MS changes their dumbass stance and
includes a hard drive on the $299 model I will purchase the $399 version.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:54:08 PM

> Only 15% of all systems on the retail shelves will be the $300 core
> system. The other 85% will be all $400 premium systems. Also, EB
> won't even be carrying any Core systems at launch.

Actually, I got a call from EB asking which system I wanted, the $299 or
$399 one- I'd think this means they will carry both types.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:54:09 PM

"T. Turner" <ty@edswax.com> wrote in message
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>> Only 15% of all systems on the retail shelves will be the $300 core
>> system. The other 85% will be all $400 premium systems. Also, EB
>> won't even be carrying any Core systems at launch.
>>

> Actually, I got a call from EB asking which system I wanted, the $299 or
> $399 one- I'd think this means they will carry both types.

Damn! They will be calling me soon then too and I guess I will just have to
cancel for now.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:51:13 PM

"Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "T. Turner" <ty@edswax.com> wrote in message
>> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>>> Only 15% of all systems on the retail shelves will be the $300 core
>>> system. The other 85% will be all $400 premium systems. Also, EB
>>> won't even be carrying any Core systems at launch.
>>>

>> Actually, I got a call from EB asking which system I wanted, the $299 or
>> $399 one- I'd think this means they will carry both types.
>>

> Damn! They will be calling me soon then too and I guess I will just have
> to cancel for now.

That's what I did.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:34:39 AM

"RKRM" <rkrm@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message

> "Mattinglyfan" <nyyankees@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "T. Turner" <ty@edswax.com> wrote in message
> >> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >>>

> >> Actually, I got a call from EB asking which system I wanted, the $299
or
> >> $399 one- I'd think this means they will carry both types.
> >>

> > Damn! They will be calling me soon then too and I guess I will just
have
> > to cancel for now.
>
> That's what I did.

Me 3
August 23, 2005 4:34:55 AM

On 17 Aug 2005 09:36:35 -0700, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>Still haven't answered my question.
>
>By the way, a REFURBISHED PS2 hard drive costs $70.
>
>http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244561.asp
>
>What's your point?

Possibly that MS lambasted Sony for making the hdd optional and then
turning around and doing the same thing. No backwards compatibility without
it, developers will have to develop games that don't automatically take
advantage of it and if they don't people are going to have to start
checking the back of 360 games to see if their console meets all the
hardware requirements for a game to run. Main reason I don't play many PC
games is because of that. Apparently the whole plug and play idea of a
console game has escaped MS. I'll end up with a 360 eventually I'm sure but
I do think having 2 choices just splits the market and forces developers to
code for the lowest common denominator.

--
Scott
!