Help with Search Companion in XP Home Edition

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I need a little help with my seach companion ...... It's turned off
under my log on name and I can't seem to get it turned back on. Under
'Guest' log on it works fine. It seems to be in 'Classic' mode when I
log on, but I don't know how to change it. I'm including links to 2
pictures of
it on the desktop. 'Guest.jpg' which is the way it looks under 'Guest'
log on, and the way I'd like to have it, and 'Me.jpg' which is the way
it looks when I log on ....... Thanks for any help ......

http://home.att.net/~fm-home/Guest.jpg

http://home.att.net/~fm-home/Me.jpg

Paul

Splendid

Are you willing and able to use regedit........

if so, log on, then modify the following key....

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]

"Use Search Asst"="yes"

"Frank" <asleep@thewheel.net> wrote in message
>I need a little help with my seach companion ...... It's turned off
> under my log on name and I can't seem to get it turned back on. Under
> 'Guest' log on it works fine. It seems to be in 'Classic' mode when I
> log on, but I don't know how to change it. I'm including links to 2
> pictures of
> it on the desktop. 'Guest.jpg' which is the way it looks under 'Guest'
> log on, and the way I'd like to have it, and 'Me.jpg' which is the way
> it looks when I log on ....... Thanks for any help ......
>
> http://home.att.net/~fm-home/Guest.jpg
>
> http://home.att.net/~fm-home/Me.jpg

Hi Frank,

Set "Use Search Asst" to "yes"

-or-

Using TweakUI v2.10 for Windows XP SP1 and above:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Open Tweak UI > Explorer > Uncheck "Use Classic search in Explorer"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User