Closed

Rocketfish gaming power supply

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Gaming
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 13, 2012 7:18:37 PM

I've been given a power supply from a company i'm not familiar with and wanted to see if anyone knows anything about it. It's a modular supply labeled as a 600W (500W continuous) from "rocketfish gaming". The model number may be "RF-500WPS2". What do you think?

More about : rocketfish gaming power supply

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 13, 2012 7:21:10 PM

What?!?! It's already New Years?!?! -- Lets get out the fireworks then! Oh you got one already? A rocketfish! Outstanding... it should be nice next to the exploding apevia / coolermaster/ hec / no name brand power supplies we got around here...
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
September 13, 2012 7:26:54 PM

It has decent specs with an 80% efficiency. For that price, it's a great deal.
Score
Related resources
September 13, 2012 7:48:38 PM

lilotimz said:
What?!?! It's already New Years?!?! -- Lets get out the fireworks then! Oh you got one already? A rocketfish! Outstanding... it should be nice next to the exploding apevia / coolermaster/ hec / no name brand power supplies we got around here...

HAHA!!! You had me dying in my chair with that one!
Score
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 13, 2012 7:53:55 PM

The Rocketfish Gaming PSUs are Huntkey made junk with marketing to try and pump up th PSU and its price...stay away. The obvious example is the 600W (500w continuous)...a PSU should be able to deliver its rated wattage 24/7 but this one is called a "600W" peak so they can charge more. If the price was free then it's worth what you paid but I wouldn't put it in a PC that I really cared about.
Score
a c 131 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
September 13, 2012 7:57:33 PM

Pause. A LOT of Rocketfish / Huntkey devices are PSU-shaped objects that burn or explode when load-tested. Some newer, 80+ models, however, have actually passed testing over at HardwareSecrets. If this unit is actually 80+ certified, you're probably ok. If it isn't, you probably don't want to plug it in if it is attached to computer parts at the same time.
Score
September 13, 2012 7:59:16 PM

Isnt Rocketfish a BestBuy store brand?

Either way, its not the greatest brand, but not the worst. Beware of PSUs that market their peak as they are usually lower quality PSU that cant handle that 24/7.

FOr having it given to you for free I would take it, put it on eBay and use the profits towards a brand name OCZ, Corsair, seasonic PSU.
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 13, 2012 8:41:13 PM

The "2" was supposedly added when they switched to CWT

Review of the 550wps2, a 500 watt power supply
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rocketfish-550-W...

Probably not likely to explode, but then you never know

If OP were to provide the UL code we'd know which oem it actually is

Score
a c 131 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
September 13, 2012 11:01:57 PM

Yes, to Yarmock and Delluser1, hence the "pause" at the beginning of my message. With more and more buyers either becoming savvy, or checking sites like this one, a lot of PSU vendors are beginning to clean up their acts. Huntkey and Rosewill come to mind; the latter in particular has released a lot of excellent units lately.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
September 13, 2012 11:20:02 PM

fatherhudson said:
I've been given a power supply from a company i'm not familiar with and wanted to see if anyone knows anything about it. It's a modular supply labeled as a 600W (500W continuous) from "rocketfish gaming". The model number may be "RF-500WPS2". What do you think?

Seriously, anything with a goofy Chinese name, is not worth risking your parts for.
Score
a c 272 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
September 14, 2012 12:27:11 AM

^ Rocketfish is Best Buy's in house brand......Pretty sure Best Buy is an American company. And since 90% of the world's power supplies are made by Chinese companies you might want to rethink that statement.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2012 2:30:21 AM

Considering best buy sells these generic low quality OEMS at nearly the same price that quality corsairs/ antecs go for on newegg....

Also. There's a big difference between a quality chinese manufacturer which sources quality parts from Japan / Taiwan than a low quality chinese manufacturer that uses everything that's as cheap as possible.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2013 6:52:02 PM

I use a Rocketfish 900w psu. I do not see anything bad about it. I can run it for eight hours on end of stress usage with my overclocked GTX 460 running at 150 watts, my 70 watt CPU, 2 hard drives, two optical drives at the same time, 4 case fans, a sound card and a wifi card. It has NO problems. On the web site, it says in the specs that it is a 900w PSU, with a maximum peak of 1000w. They list it as a 900w PSU, it is 80 plus silver and NVIDIA SLI certified. Love it.
Score
a c 272 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2013 7:25:31 PM

Hello man said:
I use a Rocketfish 900w psu. I do not see anything bad about it. I can run it for eight hours on end of stress usage with my overclocked GTX 460 running at 150 watts, my 70 watt CPU, 2 hard drives, two optical drives at the same time, 4 case fans, a sound card and a wifi card. It has NO problems. On the web site, it says in the specs that it is a 900w PSU, with a maximum peak of 1000w. They list it as a 900w PSU, it is 80 plus silver and NVIDIA SLI certified. Love it.

Please don't post in threads over a year old. You are using less than 300 of those supposed 900 watts. The fact that you bought a 900w power supply for a system requiring a 500w unit says all that needs to be said about your power supply knowledge......
Score
!