Oops hope it still works!

christian151

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
I tried cleaning the top of my CPU because it was a little bit dirty so for some reason i thought it would be a good idea to use a q tip and a drop of water on the q tip.....im wondering if it will still work or should i return it i have till the 17 and i would try it out my self but motherbored isnt here yet.please help!

I'm assuming that you just cleaned the heatspreader and not the contacts on the bottom. If that's the case, you're totally fine. A small bit of water on a Q-Tip couldn't hurt the IHS (or anything else on the CPU). The contacts are slightly different, but again, unless you drowned them in water, it's fine.

As far as what you linked, you don't need that. Just use 91% Isopropyl alcohol.

Edit: Just realized that I assumed that you had an Intel CPU, so the contacts thing wouldn't even apply if you have an AMD CPU (well, it would have pins, but I doubt you would try to clean those).

Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Unless you touched the contacts on the bottom, cleaning the IHS of the CPU (the top, metallic part) with water won't hurt anything. Propyl alcohol works better for next time! :)