Nic88

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hi all!

Being really disappointed by console graphic in recent games, I decided to jump to the dark side and buy a brand new PC! I've also considered to stick with it investing 500-1000 £ every year and a half / 2 years.
I've already ordered a PC with the below specs and I spent around 2200 £.
Can you tell me what you think about it? I want to play every game at 1080p Ultra AA 4x.

Case InWIN BLACK DRAGON RIDER GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770K (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR

Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

2nd Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

3rd Graphics Card NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk NONE

RAID NONE

SSD CACHE DRIVE 20GB INTEL® SSD 313 SERIES - SLC CACHE DRIVE FOR SYSTEM / 1st HDD

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 10x LG BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£65)

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE

Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)

Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)

Fan Controller NONE

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)

USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2012 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£14)

Monitor NONE

DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables 1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£8)

Keyboard & Mouse LOGITECH® K200 USB MEDIA KEYBOARD (£10)

Mouse LOGITECH® OPTICAL USB MOUSE (£5)

I'm not really sure about mouse and keyboard, but I've been suggested not to buy wireless because of the response delay.

That, sir, is a very nice rig. That'l run pretty much anything.
Though some issues.

Cant find an SSD in the specs that isnt just for Intel SRT. You will want a 120gb SSD to hold the OS and key programs.
Crucial M4 is the fan favourite on this forum.

Is that a stock CPU cooler I see in there? If so I would replace that with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. With your budget (freakin dual 680's!), an even better CPU cooler shouldn't be a problem.

And yes, it would be better to get wired gaming keyboards and mouses. I recommend the Razer Deathadder v2 mouse and a Corsair keyboard (cant think of one off the top of my head)

Nic88

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hi and thanks for you reply.

Unfortunately at this stage I can't change my SSD.

The SUPER QUIET 22dBA is not stock.

I totally understand your advice regarding keyboard and mouse, but I'd prefer not spending 50£ for a mouse :)

You think that the ones I bought are going to do the job?

Keep the SSD you have, just use it for SRT (which is the only reason 20Gb SSD's exist I think) and get another 120Gb SSD for the boot drive.

22dB isnt all that quiet, some fans can get as low as 19dB. But a $19 CPU cooler doesn't belong in a rig like this, especially if you intend to overclock.

Any mouse and keyboard will do the job, just some will do it better. I still suggest getting gaming peripherals, especially with you budget.