Sign in with
Your question

firewall, blocked ports, and whatnot

Last response: in Networking
September 24, 2005 5:54:51 PM

I just moved and had good ol' Comcast come out here and hook me up with some cable internet.
And INSTANTLY i could tell something is weird. My Gmail notifier wouldn't respond correctly. it says it can't connect. So i figured i would uninstall it, and then reinstall it. And still same problem. So i looked up the error code on the gmail notifier website and it says its usually a problem with closed ports and to double check ports 80 and 443 are open. I have NO idea how to check that.

Also bit torrents wont work at all, no connection to servers, game servers wont work....guess what that is....NO CONNECTION TO SERVERS!

Now i have no firewall running right now that i know of. I have turned everything off that i know could be an issue. and still nothing.

I know this is pretty much a firewall issue, but i have no idea where the firewall is. How can i check to see whats blocking this? This is frustrating as hell.

I will give any info i can to help, but i dont know what this could be. Modem going directly into my computer, no router to contend with. Modem is RCA DCM305.

Thanx for any help you can give.

September 26, 2005 1:02:48 PM

Uninstall any software they installed on your computer, if any.
You might want to contact their support because they're able to block select traffic on their network so you can't do certain things.
If you have XP SP2, you have a built in firewall you should double check - Start - Control Panel - Secuirty Center.

Other than that, it's probably them blocking you.

One last thing, you can get to the internet, right?:) 
September 26, 2005 8:54:55 PM

i have no problems connecting to the internet.
I contacted them and they said they only block certsain ports at there servers. They listed like 7 ports, none of which are the ones my g-mail or bit torrents use.

I already checked the windows firewall.

All thses things worked previously in my old house, now that i moved and i got reconnected they dont work anymore. The only difference on my computer between now and then is the new comcast connection.

September 27, 2005 12:33:29 PM

You could try putting your computer in the DMZ on your router to see if it's the router causing the problem for some reason.
That will bypass most of the router's functions and then you'll know if it's the router.

Other options include adjusting your Router's MTU, probably 1470 area wouldn't be bad, or even less.

What happens when you ping a site continuously? ping -t www.somesite.com

Just to make sure you're getting a constant connection on your computer.
September 27, 2005 9:12:48 PM

I dont have my router hooked up yet. I am trying to make it work WITHOUT a router, and then i will add it later.

I am going to bring my computer to a friends house and if i can DL bit torrents there, i am going to call comcast and yell at them and make them eat there own shite.

Oh and as a side note, i just got my first bill and i already have to call them because they messed up...YAY COMCAST!!!