Carphone Warehouse and its Bureaucracy Nokia 6230

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Today returned my 10 day old, bought off-line nokia 6230 as the keypad was
not tactile enough and the phone was resetting at odd times. The young lady
took out a replacement handset and proceeded to input the details into the
computer only to tell me that she cannot do a like for like replacement as
their promotions department say they cannot sell it off-line, even though I
bought my phone off-line from the store 10 days earlier. She called to find
out why this was so and assured me she would be able to rectify this. After
her phone conversation she shook her head. They (promotions department) had
told her if I came back after the 28days and they had more stock of the
phone they would do the exchange at that time and that they would make a
note of it on the computer. Being no fool, I said to her, I should be able
to exchange it to a new handset under your 28 day rule. Buts, buts, buts
was the reply I got. So I stated, so therefore would you prefer me to take
a refund and you lose £300 and I buy the handset from another company. It
seems so and so I took the refund. Now what sort of lunacy, bureaucratic
organisation is Mr Dunstone running. Anyway, suffice to say I have sent him
a not very congratually letter. So beware everyone. All is not as it
seems.

--
The Queen
2 answers Last reply

    "TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    >So I stated, so therefore would you prefer me to take
    > a refund and you lose £300 and I buy the handset from another company. It
    > seems so and so I took the refund. Now what sort of lunacy, bureaucratic
    > organisation is Mr Dunstone running. Anyway, suffice to say I have sent
    him
    > a not very congratually letter. So beware everyone. All is not as it
    > seems.

    The amount of margin they make on an unconnected 6230 is far far far less
    than what they'd make on a contract sale (£25-£35 as opposed to £200), so to
    be honest, I can see why they acted like they did. There is no money to be
    made on sim-free at the mo.

    Simon
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

    --
    The Queen
    "Simon Ough" <simon@NOSPAMsimax.ndo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > >So I stated, so therefore would you prefer me to take
    > > a refund and you lose £300 and I buy the handset from another company.
    It
    > > seems so and so I took the refund. Now what sort of lunacy,
    bureaucratic
    > > organisation is Mr Dunstone running. Anyway, suffice to say I have sent
    > him
    > > a not very congratually letter. So beware everyone. All is not as it
    > > seems.
    >
    > The amount of margin they make on an unconnected 6230 is far far far less
    > than what they'd make on a contract sale (£25-£35 as opposed to £200), so
    > be honest, I can see why they acted like they did. There is no money to be
    > made on sim-free at the mo.
    >
    > Simon

    Then why sell me it sim-free initially only to change their minds on a
    faulty handset. I am sure £300 would be worth something to someone, rather
    than giving me a refund.

Nokia Phones