Sign in with
Your question

Wont turn on

Tags:
  • Dell Inspiron
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Forum Feedback
July 13, 2012 1:02:08 AM

I have a Dell inspiron 530. It was working fine. I shut it off to move and when I went to turn it back on it does nothing. I do have an orange light on the mother board so I know it is getting power from the main power supply. I have now removed the harness that runs from the power button to the computer so I can see if I can replace it but can't find a part for it anywhere. Any suggestions?

More about : wont turn

July 13, 2012 8:21:36 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Why did you think that was the problem? If you can't get it back on, use a small screwdriver to short any two of the pins on the motherboard until you find the one that starts the machine. Watch where your fingers are in case the fan starts suddenly.

How far did you move it? A few hundred miles in the back of a lorry (truck in the US) or the boot (trunk in the US) of a car can upset a PC quite a lot but carrying it into another room shouldn't do much harm.

m
l
July 14, 2012 4:45:42 AM

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Why did you think that was the problem? If you can't get it back on, use a small screwdriver to short any two of the pins on the motherboard until you find the one that starts the machine. Watch where your fingers are in case the fan starts suddenly.

How far did you move it? A few hundred miles in the back of a lorry (truck in the US) or the boot (trunk in the US) of a car can upset a PC quite a lot but carrying it into another room shouldn't do much harm.

Thanks for the tip, I will try that. We moved to a different county about 50 miles, it was packed with bubble wrap but I am sure it felt the move.
m
l
July 14, 2012 4:47:41 AM

I spoke with a couple of people and they thought it might be the on/off button on the front of the computer that may have become worn. I have had the comeputer for a few years.
m
l
!