What's the best book???

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 12, 2005 12:17:57 AM

Hi All,
I know that there is probably no one best book on digital photography,
but... Are there some well acclaimed books that this august body
recommends. This would be some thing that works for the beginner as well
as covering more advanced topics. Photos in the book for comparisons
would be a must. Suggestions?
TIA
Paul

More about : book

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:17:58 AM

Why limit yourself to digital photography??? The principles of
photography are universal, and there is little that applies only to
digital (apart from the manipulation of photos after they are taken,
with programs like Photoshop). There is a wealth of information
already existent over more then 50 years of accumulated knowledge on
techniques of composing, exposing, lighting. Think of digital as being
most similar to shooting color slide film.

--Wilt
July 12, 2005 6:45:14 AM

My favorite is a general photo book which includes digital. Check The New
Manual of Photography by John Hedgecoe. It is very complete and useful.

Jim

"Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@nospamcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I know that there is probably no one best book on digital photography,
> but... Are there some well acclaimed books that this august body
> recommends. This would be some thing that works for the beginner as well
> as covering more advanced topics. Photos in the book for comparisons would
> be a must. Suggestions?
> TIA
> Paul
July 12, 2005 1:10:53 PM

wilt wrote:
> Why limit yourself to digital photography??? The principles of
> photography are universal, and there is little that applies only to
> digital (apart from the manipulation of photos after they are taken,
> with programs like Photoshop). There is a wealth of information
> already existent over more then 50 years of accumulated knowledge on
> techniques of composing, exposing, lighting. Think of digital as being
> most similar to shooting color slide film.
>
> --Wilt

Amen. In fact, I have started outlining a book I am thinking of
writing. It will be a book on photography, and will cover both digital
AND film. It will cover the differences but stress the similarities
also. I am presently estimating about 70% of the book will be on
subjects where there is no distinction between the method of image
capture. Sections such as the nature of light, the nature of the eye
and human vision, the nature of the scene being photographed, and optics
(how lenses work) are among the 70% that will not even mention digital
or film.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:25:47 PM

Jim,
Thanks for the recommendation, I ordered it and also his book on
digital photography.
Paul

Jim wrote:
> My favorite is a general photo book which includes digital. Check The New
> Manual of Photography by John Hedgecoe. It is very complete and useful.
>
> Jim
>

> "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@nospamcomcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi All,
>>I know that there is probably no one best book on digital photography,
>>but... Are there some well acclaimed books that this august body
>>recommends. This would be some thing that works for the beginner as well
>>as covering more advanced topics. Photos in the book for comparisons would
>>be a must. Suggestions?
>>TIA
>>Paul

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:38:31 AM

In article <8OGdnS6N8PmukU7fRVn-uA@comcast.com>,
Paul Schilter <paulschilter@nospamcomcast.net> wrote:

>I know that there is probably no one best book on digital photography,
> but... Are there some well acclaimed books that this august body
> recommends. This would be some thing that works for the beginner as well
> as covering more advanced topics. Photos in the book for comparisons
> would be a must. Suggestions?

In order of usefulness, I have enjoyed...

Chris Watson's "The Photographic Guide to Exposure"
"John Hedgecoe's New Book of Photography"
Don Marr's "Beginner's Guide to Photographic Lighting"

Sean

--

PHOTO FORTNIGHT
Two Weeks. One Shot.