Is this possible with a dead motherboard?

enchantedplague

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
So my computer recently froze and will no longer boot. After pressing the power button the fan spins up and spins down again within a matter of 2 seconds. I tested the power supply on another system so that is defiantly not the problem. I only have one motherboard (Asus P5N73-AM), but I had an extra CPU lying around (Celeron D 360). I put that CPU in the motherboard and it works great. Posts, boots into windows and everything. So I call Intel and RMA the CPU that i thought was dead (Pentium E6500). I send in the old one and they send me a new one back. Pop in the new E6500 and it does the exact same thing. Wont post, wont boot. Call Intel again and they basically say its not their problem anymore and it must be the motherboard. Is this possible? Could the motherboard be causing the issue and not the CPU? Any thoughts on the situation?

If one CPU works but the other doesn't then its probably not the motherboard.

Its probably also not the CPU if you had one not working, replaced it with a new one of the same type, and its still not working.

How powerful is the computer you put the PSU into compared to the one that it doesn't work in?

enchantedplague

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008

Computer that I put the PSU (430 Watt) in was an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T and it worked fine. The only thing I can think of is trying the CPU in another motherboard, so I will have to try find a friend that has a socket 775 MB. Just thought it is very strange that one works and the other does not.

enchantedplague

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008

Yes I did try the PSU from the AMD build, same issue. I know how rare it is for a CPU to die that's why I am so confused. When I first got the E6500, it was DOA, RMA'd it and the replacement worked fine for over a year, now this. I'm beginning to think there is something seriously wrong with these E6500 CPU's.

Is there anything installed in the broken PC that you can successfully boot without?

If there is a video card in it, take it out. If there is a CD Drive connected, take it out. If there is a hard drive not needed for booting take it out. If there are any USB things plugged in other than mouse/keyboard take them out. If you have more than 1 RAM stick take the rest out going down to just 1.

Once you do all that stuff, try it with the 2 PSUs again.

If that does nothing, try taking the battery out for 30 min and then re-try it with both PSUs.

enchantedplague

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008

Tried all of your suggestions. I have nothing attached and it uses an on-board video card. 1 stick of ram and I tried both PSU. Nothing works with the E6500 but the Celeron D works fine. I was using the celeron D while i waited for the RMA to complete so I know it was working great for about a week. Not sure what to do from here. Maybe call intel again and see if they can RMA it again.

enchantedplague

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
So I was able to find another LGA775 motherboard, girlfriend had a old system lying around. Had its own power-supply and RAM and worked fine with the processor that was in it. Popped in the E6500 and it wouldn't post or boot. Defiantly seems like its the processor. I don't know what the heck Intel did with these low end Pentium's but have 3/3 processors die is atrocious (When I first bought the E6500 it was DOA and RMA it, and the replacement worked for a year, now this). Ive had many Intel and AMD machines and never had any problems with the processors. Defiantly stay away from the E6500. Will be contacting Intel to see what I can do to get a replacement.

u sure that the motherboard had a compatible chipset? some core2quads wont work on motherboards that support core2duos so maybe similar to ur issue, not sure if u got a prebuilt hp/acer/dell etc desktop but with thoses u usually get that issue.

enchantedplague

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008

I would assume it is compatible if it is listed on the Asus website and if it was working for a year. Unless there is something I am missing?