Solved

Need Suggestions for a GPU

Hello guys, I was wondering if i can get help in a possible new graphic cards since i am a beginner to PC components. My budget it $250 or a little more, and Currently i have

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770
CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80ghz
Memory: 8GB 1,333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Power Supply: 500 watt
Motherboard chipset: Intel H57
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Monitor Resolutiion:1920x1080

I was wondering if i can cross over to a Nvidia card? I mostly want a Card to play skyrim, BF3, and Batman:AC.
I feel uncomfortable OVERCLOCKING and don't want to use SLi or Crossfire. Preferably a card that would last me a few years before i need a upgrade again. Any help is appreciated and thank you.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need suggestions
  1. for that cash i would recommend you buying a 560 ti 448 cores.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130758

    for a little less money take a 560 ti 384 cores:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565

    Recommend both of them, and both will work at a 500watts psu, just make sure your psu is really 500w, some generic brands are rated 500watts and can't deliver more than 300w .
  2. Yes, those two cards are ideal for what you need, but could you post your PSU brand and model please? That way we can determine if it has enough amperage to support the GPU. Bad PSU can cause GPU damage. :/
  3. Sorry for the late reply. I open the case and saw A FSP Group Inc. Power Supply with the Serial Number: FSP450-60EP
    http://www.e-techeshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41489&language=en
    found that on the web
    Thank you guys again.
  4. Can anyone confirm if I meet all the requirements for the 560 ti 448 cores?
  5. The GTX560Ti is a little power hungry, but it shouldn't be a problem. FSP makes some decent PSU's.
    EDIT: I just checked it out, and no, I wouldn't be putting a GTX560Ti 448 on that. Stick to the HD7850.

    Also take a look at the HD7850. It costs a bit lower and matches performance of a GTX560Ti 448, but with much less power consumption.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JLFV7U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=banforbucga08-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007JLFV7U
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JCNOZA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=banforbucga08-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007JCNOZA
  6. Zero_ said:
    The GTX560Ti is a little power hungry, but it shouldn't be a problem. FSP makes some decent PSU's.

    Also take a look at the HD7850. It costs a bit lower and matches performance of a GTX560Ti 448, but with much less power consumption.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JLFV7U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=banforbucga08-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007JLFV7U
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JCNOZA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=banforbucga08-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007JCNOZA

    I noticed that the GTX560Ti needs a 550w minimum requirement, while i only have a 500w. I will investigate those ATI cards you mention but i wanted to try a nvidia card for the first time.
  7. Quote:
    Well go for Nvidia GTX 460 v2 1GB GDDR5 you will be able to run it on your rig easily and it is better then HD 5770 and it fits in your budget and your PSU capacitoy

    I think I am going to go with the SAPPHIRE 11200-01-20G Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984
    It seems great and can compete with a gtx 560 ti 448 core, although I have been reading that there are no drivers available at this time? until ATI Catalyst 12.3?
  8. WHY DONT YOU BUY A HD 6950 FOR 249.99 $?
  9. Your PSU is insufficient, it only has 22 amps on the +12v rail. You should look for a (for example) at least 620w and bronze/silver/gold certified. Like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
  10. Dont be afraid of spending a little extra money on a new PSU, its one of the few components in a PC that could last 5-10 years without being replaced.

    I use http://www.corsair.com/professional-series-hx650-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-power-supply.html

    Its 80+ bronze certified and has 52amps on the 12v rail, which is more than enough if you dont plan to overclock or use SLI/Crossfire.

    Yes it is $50 more than auntarie recomended but instead of having 2 x 24 amps it has a single 52a rail.
  11. ^ +1
  12. Jack_138 said:
    I think I am going to go with the SAPPHIRE 11200-01-20G Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984
    It seems great and can compete with a gtx 560 ti 448 core, although I have been reading that there are no drivers available at this time? until ATI Catalyst 12.3?


    Amd is always a problem, specially with drivers. i would suggest you:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
    with the 560ti 448cores
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130758

    but if you wan't a cheaper solution, wait for the mide-range nvidia kepler video cards.
  13. I am going to go with:

    -EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    -Corsair Professional Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-650HX

    Will these two work together well and with my current set up? also EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra needs a 8pin and 6pin connectors, will the PSU stated above be able to satisfy this requirements? any conformation is appreciated so i can purchase as soon as possible.

    CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80ghz
    Memory: 8GB 1,333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Motherboard chip-set: Intel H57
    Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    Monitor Resolution:1920x1080
  14. Jack_138 said:
    I think I am going to go with the SAPPHIRE 11200-01-20G Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984
    It seems great and can compete with a gtx 560 ti 448 core, although I have been reading that there are no drivers available at this time? until ATI Catalyst 12.3?


    The 7850 is a good choice... honestly.

    12.3 pre-WHQL here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=2858
  15. Best answer
    Jack_138 said:
    I am going to go with:

    -EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    -Corsair Professional Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-650HX

    Will these two work together well and with my current set up? also EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra needs a 8pin and 6pin connectors, will the PSU stated above be able to satisfy this requirements? any conformation is appreciated so i can purchase as soon as possible.

    CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80ghz
    Memory: 8GB 1,333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Motherboard chip-set: Intel H57
    Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

    this one right?
    http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/professional-series-power-supply-units/professional-series-hx650-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-power-supply.html
    yes:
    the 8 pins probably are going to be like this:
    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6plus2.jpg

    the 6 pins with +2 optional.

    don't forget that you will need to connect those 2 extra pins on the 8pin gpu power slot.
  16. Best answer selected by Jack_138.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product